How to use big pumpkin?

My Big Moon pumpkins are getting ripe. Besides using them for Halloween , I am wondering if there are good recipes that I can either process and store them for late use or cook them fresh so I can eat them (reasonable taste ). It seems shame to waste such big veggie without eating it.

BTW I am not looking for pumpkin pie recipe, I don’t want eat too much sugar.

5 Likes

Sometime…maybe as much as 30 years ago…I made a pumpkin pie using only honey as a sweetener.
(Do you count that as a ‘sugar’?) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You’re going to need to let it cure for a month or so before eating, whatever you do.

2 Likes

I’ve made puree after roasting and it can be stored frozen and used for pumpkin lasagna. I personally like it better for lasagna if it’s not a super sweet pie pumpkin. A soup can be nice too. Other than that, I’m also short on savory pumpkin recipe ideas, so I’ll be happy to see more ideas.

3 Likes

Yes anything with high calories I classify it “sugar” :grimacing:

1 Like

Those are great looking!!!

2 Likes

I see lots of pumpkin curry recipes with Google search.

4 Likes

There are multiple ways we use them. How hard or easy do you want it to be? One way we cut them into wedges microwaving one wedge at a time under plastic until cooked in about 5 -10 minutes depending on the size of the wedge and microwave. We then cut the rind off and throw the remaining flesh in the blender. We use cinnamon, nutmeg, honey , brown sugar, canned milk so on to make into pie filling or custard add to pie and cook it. Pie recipes will be different but they are all the same more or less. You can cook the entire pumpkin in the evening in the oven on cold nights once we get further into fall. We roast seeds separately. Store bought pumpkin is ground with the peel on which gives it the orange color. My grandpa taught me how they make theirs when he was alive. So you have two choices with what you didn’t use which is pressure cook the pumpkin or add it to the freezer.

1 Like

Clark, I do cook buttercup/ butternut squashes or whatsoever kinds squashes that can fit into a microwave in a microwave . I found it is the easiest way to cook a squash. Yes, come to think of it, I have never tried to cook such large squash, It would take whole night to cook one .

Did anyone try to dry pumpkin and ground the dried pumpkin into flour?

2 Likes

@IL847

Another trick in my family they like to roast everything on open flames. They are masters of cooking on open flames anything you can imagine. Some things its hard to discuss outside the family much because it’s hard to understand. So pumpkin they would peel and cube up and fill up a Dutch oven using coals on the top and bottom of the Dutch oven to cook the pumpkin evenly. Some will always burn and caramelize in the pan. The family will cook in a crock pot or whatever but they do not like to heat up a house in the summer. So why open flames you might ask and it’s because they have the wood already and it’s free but flame is harder to control. They wait until it’s cold to heat up a house. Their goal is to cook outside in the summer using the rind of pumpkin or skin of the potatoes or whatever to cook it in. So frequently they use a crockpot on the porch. They dehydrate fruits outside as well. When we do can inside in the summer they do not like it. We frequently extract juices in the summer and heat them up and can them in the winter for long term storage if we can at all. The microwave is fast which is why they use it. Microwaves don’t have a chance to heat up the house. I’ve seen them freeze raw vegetables and cook them later as well. Butternut we grew in large numbers when I was younger . We would hang the squash in large mesh bags or gunny sacks from the rafters of the basement. We used them like small pumpkins in pumpkin pie. Neck pumpkins are another favorite item we grew many of. The family members who live in town still cook the same way except open flame becomes a BBQ grill, pit , or smoker because it’s what’s legal. We try to comply with laws but the laws can come into conflict with what we have done for hundreds or more years. Drinking sassafras tea or eating parts of sassafras in certain soups is no longer allowed.

1 Like

That’s the first I ever heard of a law against eating sassafras!

(Marijuana by perscription, but outlaw sassafras??)

1 Like

It’s possible some people might do it anyway. The Dangers Of Sassafras | Everyday Health

I don’t trust the government…especially the one in California that labels everything as causing cancer.

And I eat leaves of sassafras any time I please. (I would like to know if there are recipes for the fruits though…never tried them…but the birds sure love 'em.)
And I’ve had sassafras tea from the roots…but not in a long time.

A good rule of thumb is if deer or cows will eat it…humans can too.

Roasted veggies do taste better than microwave or stove top cook. The nice caramelized veggies really adds dimensions into flavors. I am in suburb, the local village has ordinance of prohibiting open fire pit in the backyard as houses are all closer together. So no roasted marshmallows or roasted pumpkins allowed. But this is just for someone obey the ordinance. One of my neighbor few doors down the street uses fire pit anyway, the worst, he dumps tones of starting fluid to get the fire started… he did that on a windy day I happen to see that. The flame was blown high and around, very dangerous.

1 Like

That does sound very dangerous where houses are close together. In my area burning of fields is permitted let alone pits, barrels, piles you name it. Once in awhile someone nearly burns us out. It’s happened multiple times in my lifetime. Mostly new people move here are not familiar with the way fire moves with the Kansas winds pushing it and it gets away from them. We have tricks we use to try to control it if we get time but the losses to equipment and crops is often times significant. Last time the fire was moving at over 40 miles per hour I had problems just getting out of its way. The lady who started it had lived here less than 2 weeks. She was unfamiliar with the deceptive Kansas weather. It was calm and quickly changed to blowing winds.

1 Like

Just ran into this writeup of several recipes for using up pumpkin puree. I’m going to give some of these a try. I’ve had good results with recipes from this site so thought I’d share.