How Vigorous is your Pawpaw?

:rofl:

1 Like

Unfortunately yes.

Yes, it’s in the spot where a Elaeocarpus decipiens once stood. Here in SoCal we live on postage stamp plots of land, I could touch my neighbors’ houses with a broom. I don’t have a lot of room to work with. There’s a Citrus × aurantiifolia to the left (East) of it and a Mangifera indica to the right (West) of it. I decided that I was going to water it more this year and it looks like it may be paying off. Maybe I should add more fertilizer too as I’m reading here. My fingers are crossed.

Yes, you’re right. I’ve been mounding dirt there and it keeps slowly washing away. I guess I didn’t go deep enough due to the roots of the previous tree.

1 Like

I would definitely remove any and all suckers below the graft. They’ll steal energy from the upper portion. You call yourself PomGranny, I have a Punica granatum that loves to sucker. I cut them constantly to keep it in a tree-like form.

Just a suggestion. I ended up replacing the garden hoses after a couple years and then I recently bought some of the heavy poly pipe at Lowes. SIlverline along with some connectors. I added this to my drip irrigation system. The pipe costs $18 for 100 hundred feet and should last a lot longer than garden hose. For the places where I drive over the hose I will put the pipe through a metal conduit to keep it in good shape.

2 Likes

@DBang. Thank you so much for the tip. I plan on doing a few tests on rows of plants - to see which soaks the best, etc. Your advice helps a lot. :grin:

Another couple of years and my asimina triloba’s are still sticks, hardly any growth. I should be happy that they’re still alive. They’re really out of there element with such low humidity. My Allegheny stick had two flowers this year, the second time. This may be interesting to some on these forums. I used a hobby paint brush dipped in distilled water and rubbed both flowers. Amazingly, since it’s reported that asimina triloba is not self fertile, it seems that I have some developing fruit. Only time will tell what the future holds. On a side note, I had tried to stimulate cultivars to root themselves. I had them buried below the graft in deep treepots. I since transplanted them into real deep resin pots while they were dormant and I didn’t observe any roots developing at all. They have all leafed out for year two.

3 Likes

I hope your fruits hang on!
It turns out that research is showing that pawpaws are not strictly self-incompatible. There is some potential for self pollination in all varieties, perhaps some more than others, but the fruit set from selfing is expected to be far lower than via cross pollination.

1 Like

I’d like to edit my post. I meant to type that they’re out of ‘their’ element.

1 Like

Your post can be edited,by clicking on the little pencil icon,near the Reply.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not seeing this pencil icon. I see a heart, a link icon, three dots (which don’t have a pencil icon when I click on it) and reply. Maybe I don’t post enough to edit. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

There’s only one left!

1 Like

A friend grafted a dozen cultivars onto a seedling in Tucson AZ spring 2022.
Susquehanna is most vigorous, then Sunflower, then Mango.
The others are lagging far behind these.

1 Like

I know I’m replying to an older post, but someone else bumped this thread and this post caught my eye. I’m on my 3rd year with pawpaws with little growth until this spring. Since early April I’ve been hitting them hard with diluted urine (10-15:1) and they’ve been loving it. It’s diluted enough that it isn’t burning the grass/clover around the welded wire tree cages either. I had been getting down on my pawpaw experiment up here in C NH, but after reading some posts from others this past winter about regularly hitting them hard with nitrogen via the urine I had to give it a try.

I think long term I’d like to top dress with more compost and manure for a more sustained nitrogen source, but the urine apps have been a nice, quick kick in their rear.

3 Likes

That’s funny. My Mango is the most vigorous of the dozen or so pawpaws I have. I guess it’s just the seedling rootstock it’s grafted onto.

Have you tried high nitrogen fertilizer? Pawpaws love nitrogen…

I think he will find Susquehanna to be a slower growing variety, especially than the other two you mentioned. Mango and Sunflower are two of the fastest growers and Susquehanna is a little slower than average in my experience. Chappelle is said to be the most vigorous. My Chappelle was less than 12” at the beginning of last season and shot up to 42” by fall.

1 Like

Depends upon what Susquehanna is grafted onto.
It needs to be grafted to Sunflower or Mango or a seedling hybrid of Sunflower or Mango.
Else Susquehanna can have vigor deficiency.
My friend’s is grafted onto a Mango seedling.
It is extremely vigorous!

1 Like

Did some good pawpaw eating this weekend. Overleese was excellent.

9 Likes