How's you tree planting going?

Planting trees is a labor of love for me. How’s your planting going?

3 Likes

Ground is frozen solid here, it’ll likely be at least a month before I can get a shovel in the ground

1 Like

Hopefully it Thaws for you soon and you can get some in the ground. We don’t have any moisture besides this snow so we got to use water to get the trees in the ground. I’m thankful for this snow because it will help. Takes a lot of water at this point to plant a tree. I’m healing some of these in and planting others today. Hopefully the spring rains will come. Mine would all be in already if I was not to lazy to haul water. I planted 5 trees so far this year.

1 Like

That’s a lot of trees! I’m jealous. But I have learned the hard way to limit the amount I plant to how many I think I can keep watered in the heat of late summer. Last week I planted 3 chestnuts, 4 plums, and 4 new blueberries. The rest of the additions this year will be from the figs I’m rooting and persimmon and pear grafting on volunteer trees.

1 Like

I agree with you completely. Better to be conservative when it comes to needing to water trees they can take 10 gallons each per week. Next I’m planting another 60 pear trees. Some I’ve been growing out and 1/2 I just got today.

2 Likes

Makes me tired just looking at that pile. Do you have to encircle each one in wire? That’s the hard part for me.

3 Likes

I just cut a chunk of drainage pipe for them.

I’ve planted 8 trees so far. Ugh. I’m thinking of ordering all my trees next year from Bay Laurel…

1 Like

Well over 100 planted and replanted trees this winter, actually about 120. The bulk of this were 82 apricot seedlings (40 larger ones replanted in the ground and 42 smaller ones in pots). It was a lot of work! I’m almost done for the season, just a dozen or so rootstocks to be planted when they arrive from Raintree.

2 Likes