Huckleberry Season has Begun

16 Likes

Yum! I grew up across the border in grand forks and miss those purple and black tastiez! we have different climate and varieties here had a few esrly ones on the coast last week but fall is when i really pick…if you time it where the plants have dropped leaves due to cold but berries havent frozen its as easy as shaking plants off in a 5gallon pail

4 Likes

Agreed. Late season picking after leaves have fallen is by far the best. The only way I can get that situation is to go high in elevation around Labor Day. These days much of the access is limited in an attempt to limit human / grizzly interactions. I assume this is just part of life in Alaska.

1 Like

Different Grizzlies, yours eat berries vegetation and game, ours eat mainly fish…just got to be aware and not startle/give the right of way to the best fishing holes hahaha

2 Likes

YAY!!!
We are headed to Idaho this week. What elevation are you finding ripe berries?

1 Like

Not sure what the elevation was but it was about as low as you are going to find them. Anything higher up is not ripe yet.

1 Like

Wait a minute, I figured it out. We were right around 3,100 ft.

3 Likes

Thank you, I normally start picking the 2nd week of August in the Cascades. But sounds like I timed vacation right for Idaho.

2 Likes

Round Two this morning. Another gallon or so.

4 Likes