Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I refer to the quality of fresh fruit in terms of sweetness and flavor. Figs definitely need a good amount of heat to achieve high quality.

I assume you are referring to this?

Jujube trees and taishuu persimmon trees

1 Like

I agree with this. Also, for figs and some other fruits I prefer to estimate ripening times with degree days instead of degree hours.

You say Taishuu? I can’t hear ya :hear_with_hearing_aid:

12 Likes

Epic pot you got there hahaha! I am Jealous. Do you dig a 3 foot deep hole?

Got it this year based on your recommendation. Our climate in Seattle is not that different from your location in Belgium.
My bench grafts on lotus rootstock appear to have taken. I will also graft on a large mature tree in early summer.

3 Likes

Jerry had significant resources and zeal.

1 Like

I have all 4 varieties…H63A ripens mid October, Dollywood ripens late october -early November, Barbara’s Blush hasn’t fruited yet (still too young) and Morris Burton has never flowered/fruited here even though the tree is 12 years old…very bizar. I suppose it is not suitable for a cooler climate (60 chromosome type if I’m right).
As I said: many varieties only loose astringency when allowed to fully ripen/ soft while temperatures are still quite high. When these still need to ripen at the end of the season and temperatures have dropped considerably, then the astringency will remain even when the fruit is soft.
Of course, these are my thoughts and experience… they are not necessarily valid for your specific situation.

2 Likes

That is one type of pot that is non existant in Europe… I have always wondered how you keep these arranged in a nursery setting. must be some kind of grid you can slip them in to keep them upright.

1 Like

@Mikatani
Are your persimmon cultivars on individual trees or do you have many cultivars grafted on a few trees?

Is Barbara’s Blush early, say as Prok, or later, say as Dollywood? I have never seen an actual ripening time for it.

Dax

7 Likes

Thanks. I’m sure that Morris Burton has 90 chromosomes. At least that is how it is described; and it has been used to produce many crosses with other 90 chromosome names. H63A has a Morris Burton parent. But MB has a reputation for sometimes producing male trees. Is there any chance that you’ve gotten male flowers only?

1 Like

@ramv @Mikatani

Mikatani Gosho is reported to be a PVNA type. Is that right?

Yes.

1 Like

That depends… in a sufficiently warm climate it is PVNA but in a cooler climate…not really.
However it is one of the varieties that responds extremely well to alcohol treatment to remove astringency

1 Like

no…no male mutation…it just has never flowered…neither male nor female

Did you sneeze? God bless you! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

That seems common (universal?) among PVNA varieties. It makes me wonder whether the PVNA trait has two facets – (1) production of ethanol / acetaldehyde by seeds, and (2) responsiveness / permeability of flesh.

Edit: I discovered this research. The data suggest that all Kaki persimmon seeds produce ethanol, more or less. But not all persimmon flesh accumulates the ethanol. Seven varieties were monitored throughout a season. The three PVNA varieties studied all accumulate ethanol. The PCNA variety Fuyu also accumulates ethanol; notably, Fuyu behaves like a PVNA when seeded. The sole PCA variety studied and the other PCNA variety studied (Hanagosho) do not accumulate ethanol. The sole PVA variety studied accumulates some ethanol but not much.

Forty varieties were tested at harvest. PVNA varieties had a lot of ethanol in the seeds and a lot in the flesh. PVA varieties had a modest amount of ethanol in the seeds and a modest amount in the flesh. PCA and PCNA varieties also had a decent amount of ethanol in the seeds but none of it in the flesh (with very minor exceptions). Fuyu was the only PCNA variety that showed a tendency to accumulate ethanol.

To me these results suggest that any Kaki cross might exhibit some PVA-ness. That requires (a) some ethanol, which all persimmon seeds appear to produce, more or less; and (b) some propensity to accumulate the ethanol, which varies widely.

But the results leave a huge question regarding hybrids. There is no evidence that American persimmons can be made non-astringent using ethanol. This may mean that American persimmons lack the ability to accumulate ethanol in their flesh. If so, then any ability for a hybrid to accumulate ethanol would have to be inherited entirely from the Kaki ancestor(s). Without very careful selection of Kaki ancestors and multiple generations of breeding, it would seem extremely unlikely to produce a full PVNA hybrid. At best, only a moderately PVA.

2327-9834-article-p319.pdf (563.2 KB)

You got a JT-02 coming from Steven? :hear_with_hearing_aid: