Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Unseeded PVNAs behave like PCAs – they lose astringency eventually, when fully ripe and soft. Seeded PVNAs lose astringency early in the vicinity of any seeds. Seeded PVNAs can therefore be eaten when still somewhat firm.

1 Like

Rosseanka. Taste is a little different. Medlar not quite ready.

6 Likes

Here is the comparison in size of JT-02 50%/50% hybrid persimmon of Taishu nonastringent Kaki crossed with Josephine astringent American persimmon D.V. vs Saijo astringent Kaki. I got 2 viable seeds and the offsprings which will be 75% Kaki and 25% D.V. Hopefully the cold hardiness of -24 F of JT-02 will carry to this new hybrid offsprings. The male pollen parent was the cold hardy Kaki Cheong Pyong of Korea. Thanks to a friend that sent the fruit to me. JT-02 flavor was very good and real sweet. I didn’t let it ripped enough so there was still a little astringent in the taste. Next time I will let it gooey soft but probably a bit watery.

Tony

17 Likes

Congratulations Tony, I’m enjoying your posts of your project.

2 Likes

Here is a JT-02/Cheong Pyong seed starting to sprout.

The seeds I found were wrinkly and when cut open most of mine didn’t show an embryo, while some did although it was hard to tell if it was complete. I decided to try to sprout one right away instead of possibly letting it get weaker or deteriorate, so I put it in a lightly moist paper towel in a zip lock and set that on my cable box for some added warmth. I think this is about 5 days later.

I’ve never found kaki persimmon seeds to need any stratification to sprout and I think that actually might be true of American persimmons as well, although it is much easier to put them in the fridge until spring than trying to nurse something along all winter inside. I’m not sure if it will continue growing through next fall or what I do to get it on a “regular” schedule down the road.

Of course first I need to see it it has the energy to go from this beginning to an actual sprouted tree.

11 Likes

Wow! Thanks for showing me this. I was worried the wrinkly ones wouldn’t have been viable and threw most of them out.

6 Likes

Yes, @tonyOmahaz5 's post made me think of it and check. I was pleasantly surprised. I’m still a little worried about it being weaker in some way and I imagine someone with more knowledge of these things than me could give it a better chance. Remove the outer shell maybe? Or start them in a flask in agar like delicate little orchid seedlings?

Mine will have to survive being tossed in a pot with some promix, but hopefully that will be enough.

3 Likes

Use a narrow tree pot, e.g. 4" x 12" or taller. They do better when allowed to grow a tap root.

5 Likes

Will do Richard. I’ve got a few around and will pot it up once I see a little more progress on the root.
Thx.

2 Likes

There was some talk about persimmon ‘Universal’ that produces both male and female flowers. It is apparently the same as chuchupaka. My chuchupaka hasn’t produced male flowers yet despite having a gigantic yield for its size this year.

@jcguarneri

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Universal is different from Chuchupaka; @Harbin mentions each them separately in this thread, and they look a bit different as far as I can tell. I also found a comparison table that listed Universal as Universalsnaya (unsure of spelling?) along with Dar Sofievky and a few others including I think Chuchupaka, but I haven’t for the life of me been able to find it again.

3 Likes

I got this info from a NAFEX talk by Timothy Lane who is likely a member here. Curious to hear what @Harbin says.

2 Likes

@OckooMicrofarm it sounds like you might have some info on Universal (see thread above). What can you tell us?

5 Likes

Tony — what is the cold hardiest non-astringent type you’ve found? Been scrolling since 2015 and want to make sure I don’t miss anything…fellow zone 5.

2 Likes

None available outside of Russia currently, at least that I am aware of… Tony and others are working on it!

2 Likes

Mriya is the most cold hardy kaki i have surviving roughly -14F reportedly.
Persimmon Tree (Diospyros kaki) MRIYA

3 Likes

Anyone able to translate this chart from a Ukrainian persimmon group on FB?

2 Likes

Too bad Alan and Scott chased away Stan.

Here’s a very crude translation from Google translate:

3 Likes

Jay is right, Universal is not Chuchupaka. Chuchupaka is strictly female.

4 Likes