Hybridizing stone fruits

I hand pollinated them with F1 Moorpark apricot pollen…so yeah, I’m saving the seeds.

I wonder if a cross my peachmond with a sweet pit apricot, would the hybrids produce both edible flesh and seeds?

1 Like

It could sure, Be careful not to break the branches of your cross with the heavy load of fruit.

I’m going to have Interspecific cherries this year after I stratified the seeds.

I hand-pollinated this Rainier flowers with Shakar Pareh plumcot.

1 Like

I hand-pollinated this with flavor Top Nectarine.Uploading…

A nectacherry in the making ( after the seed germinates).

3 Likes

These berries look interesting. You should try crossing them with strawberries.

@fruitnut, here are my cherries.

I found these two cherries on my Ranier cherry graft; the graft is on Stella Cherry. The only trees that were in bloom when the graft was in bloom were my Rainier Cherry and Shakar Pareh plumcot.

2 Likes

I grafted a myrobalan plum interstem onto my Luna peach x Almond rootstock cutting.

2 Likes

The graft union:

2 Likes

I have a seedling pluot (store bought maybe 3 years ago) that is going to have quite a few flowers for the first time ever. No idea what to expect, but i do remember it being a huge pluot (I don’t think it was a Zaiger variety)… Whatever the case I’ll have to thin it or the branches are going to snap.

1 Like

Was it black with yellow flesh and freestone? Did it had a family tree farms sticker?

Sounds like King Kong pluot.

It very well could be…I just remember it was very large.

1 Like

My proprietary peacharine, a cross between Elberta Peach, seed parent, x Legrand Nectarine, pollen parent.

2 Likes

Peacharines.

2 Likes

These are their half-siblings, peaches. The seed parent is the Elberta peach.

Notice how pointy they are compared to the peacharines.

3 Likes

Ulises, I think if a peach x nectarine has fuzz then its called a peach. There are many examples of such peaches, I think Nectar and Peregrine both have nectarine parents. They used to be separate species but now they are both prunus persica.

4 Likes

It appears fuzz is dominant, so a 2nd cross is needed to get back to nectarines.

2 Likes

I’m aware of that.

I crossed the Elberta peach so I the fuzz would be removed, but I didn’t happen. I guess, I have to cross it back to a nectarine.

I crossed a couple of the peacharine flowers with apricots, hopefully I get something good.

I think quite a few peaches have the smooth skin gene but its not being expressed. So crossing with one of those also should give some nectarines. To my eyes it seems like you can tell the peaches with a recessive smooth skin gene, they have less fuzz when the fruits are mature. I have always wondered if O’Henry had a nectarine ancestor as it has very mild fuzz.

3 Likes