I am finally doing it! (honor system Fruit stand)

American keyboards don’t have that symbol either. However just about any symbol can be made on a site which accepts html. I just googled the html code for ¢, it’s ¢.

This forum supports html, which means, if you want you can write all kinds of cool html symbols by just a quick web search, and a copy and paste.

Like the Staff of Aesculapius ⚕
Radioactive sign :radioactive:
Atom symbol :atom_symbol:
And… even a flexed bicep :muscle:
Or my favorite - chocolate bar :chocolate_bar:

People have even been known to have conversations using only emojis (probably with entirely too much time on their hands.) :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

:rofl:

Because we read from left to right.

A local Orchard does that also. Honor system pay.
It’s a bit of a drive on a country dirt road.
Probably works fine in rural areas.
Would not try it in Seattle.

@Olpea
Or why we Park on a DRIVEWAY and Drive on a PARKWAY.

Mike

3 Likes

From my travelling in the UK: I loved those signs stating: NO SMOKING ON THE SUBWAY. For a French-speaking person, that’s written so weird… we would rather write: NO SMOKING IN THE SUBWAY but they invented the language, right? I also enjoyed seeing signs in the subway stating: WAY OUT instead of EXIT but I looked very carefully and within a 3 month stay never ever saw signs stating: WAY. IN… always; ENTRANCE. Once again, peculiar

To Mrs. Gibson: I do not get your comment but don’t want to start a (linguistic) war… We also read from left to right but we do respect what we say… So if we say: 99 dollars we write 99$

I owe so many of you an apology! I haven’t been very active lately and I now see that many of you asked about how my little honor-system produce stand worked out. Well, I’m an open book so I will just give you the exact numbers. I have no idea if these are big sales numbers or little ones, or whether my thefts were high or low by comparison. This is my first (somewhat) serious attempt to sell fruit. Overall I was very disappointed by the high rates of theft. I tried this just a little bit last year and had much less thievery. Then again, I did put a few hundred dollars in my pocket from apples that otherwise would have probably been wasted, so all told I guess I came out ok. ?

So, I sold all my apples for $8 per 1/2 peck bag. I sold 6 varieties over a period of about 2 months/9 weeks. Each bag was labeled with the variety name. I also sat out a little recipe sheet I made that had some good apple-related desert instructions, including the famous Smokey Mountain Apple Barn Apple Fritters. Almost everyone seemed to pick up a copy of these and I think they helped with sales.

So, I DISTRIBUTED a total of 72 bags of apples. That sounds great, but read on…

Out of the 72 bags of apples that were taken from the stand, I received $357 total. That means that I sold about 45 bags of apples, and had 27 bags STOLEN!!! Yes, that means they stole right about half as many as I sold!!! WOW!!! That is just astounding to me, and very disappointing. The numbers don’t work out evenly because people would often short me just a dollar or two, some would leave odd change, etc. In those cases I like to think they just didn’t have enough cash on hand.

There are lots of fun - well, INTERESTING- stories I can tell about the experience. Twice I had people people leave IOU notes (and both times they made good by putting the money in later with a note). I also had one customer who bought 9 bags at once and paid in full! I know this because I just happened to be passing by and I saw them grabbing almost all my bags. I stopped ready to be angry and call them accuse them of theft!. Thank goodness I didn’t accuse them of anything and they immediately said “we already put the money in the box” and they had. They were on their way to visit family in Florida and were taking the apples to them. I also enjoyed getting lots of compliments on the apples from many people who bought them and later told me how good they were.

On the stealing thing, there is one very important thing to note here. I am absolutely convinced that a substantial percentage of the thefts were from one house- which was DIRECTLY across the street and not 100 feet from my stand. It’s a house where about 10 adult males live in. Most don’t have jobs, the police are there all the time, and I literally saw two situations where I know people from that house stole apples from me. They were quite clever about it too. Here is how I caught them one of the times: I usually just kept 12 bags of apples on the stand at one time. They were all lined up neatly and spaced evenly, so it was very easy to spot when a bag was taken. Then I could look in the money box to see if it had been paid for or stolen. One day I drove by and all 12 bags were out there. I also noticed that one of the suspected thieves was about to cross the street going to my stand. So I kept driving by. I went down the road and turned around after about 4 minutes and went back. It was interesting what I saw. First, a bag was missing. But the thief, thinking he was clever, had brought a large shopping bag (a big paper one with handles) with him, so when he stole my bag of apples, he just put it inside his own bag so if I happened by I wouldn’t see him walking off with a big of my apples. Now, in 4 minutes time I knew my bag of apples had gone missing and no one else had been there, and here is this guy carrying a big bag that obviously had something in it (and I knew what!) but still, for what ever reason, I didn’t feel comfortable enough to stop and confront him. After all, for all I knew he could have put money in the box. Of course I checked later and found he didn’t. I guess many of you will say I should have confronted him or called the cops or whatever, and maybe I should have- but I didn’t. The point in me telling this story is that I had a few other situations involving people in that house (who are all known petty criminals) and I really think that house and their guests (they throw huge drinking parties every weekend and sometimes week nights) are why the theft rates are so high. The fact that this guy had thought about and developed a whole system for stealing that bag of apples (bringing his own bag, etc) makes me think they did this a lot.

I did not ever have money stolen. This year I nailed the cash box to the stand very well and kept a lock on it. Someone would have had to go to a fair amount of work to steal the box, and there are 2 other houses in plain view who likely would have seen or heard them trying to pry and hammer the cash box free from its place. Plus I emptied it 1-2 times a day.

One thing I did do after about a month and a half was to install an incredibly real looking camera, but it was fake. It had a flashing red light, it swept back and forth, started blinking when it detected motion, etc. I used fake one because it was super cheap AND because I thought it was likely that the thieves would steal or destroy the camera. This ABSOLUTELY made a substantial difference- thefts went down considerably.

OK, that is my full report for now. In spite of my disappointments, I made a few hundred bucks, got rid of my extra apples, and was overall somewhat pleased with the experience. Not sure if I’ll do it again next year but I might. I may put some real cameras out of reach or hidden if I do. I have some other ideas too. I’m happy to discuss further if anyone has questions. I think all of us with more than a few trees have considered at least a little honor stand like mine. Don’t be too discourage by my high theft rate- as I said, if it weren’t for the “House of criminals” I suspect it would be very low.

15 Likes

I’ve seen plenty of honor system stuff both in Seattle proper and outlying areas. I wouldn’t try it for high resale value stuff, but seems to work fine for fresh produce, firewood, etc. Someone on our street did an honor system yard sale recently and they said they made more than they were expecting, didn’t notice any theft. I think the perspective of Seattle from those living outside the city is often distorted by sensationalized reporting, but I’d be fine doing an honor system stand here. Obviously the cash box should be pretty secure and emptied often, but that’s true basically anywhere.

1 Like

Kevin,
I am sorry to hear that about half of your apples were stolen and that you live near some unsavory neighbors.

I hope you can find a way to effectively prevent thefts next year.

Thanks! The good news, and I don’t think I made this clear, is that my stand wasn’t on my property. I just used a neighbors stand that he sells vegetables from during the summer. This means that the “den of thieves” house isn’t too close to my own, so normally I don’t have to deal with them. And the camera that I added late in the season seemed to really help a lot, so next year I’ll use a camera all year. Probably try a real one, too. Would be kinda nice to show the den of thieves video of them stealing, even if nothing comes of it.

Anyway, I still put $350 in my pocket and that will cover a lot of my spray costs. So I’m not all down about it. I went to a lot of trouble explaining the “den of thieves” because I didn’t want others here who may be contemplating an honor system stand to think its normal to have this much theft. If I didn’t have that one house which has lots of known criminals living there and even more coming and going, I doubt I’d have had many thefts at all.

4 Likes

A battery operated trail camera painted to match the stand would probably work. However it may be too expensive as someone might consider stealing the camera itself as they are often pretty nice.

1 Like

I’ve been operating a starts/vegetables/flowers/eggs stand for the past 6 years on my rural road. The first year I kept close track of everything and was quite discouraged by the theft. I put up a game camera, but when I saw who was taking without paying, I couldn’t bring myself to approach the person I knew!

When friends asked about my stand, I shared that sometimes produce was disappearing without payment. A few people knew about the game camera incident. I didn’t share that I took down the camera right after the first incident. It just felt too aggressive on my part.

I kept the stand going but switched from weekends to Thursdays and Fridays. Over time there seemed to be less theft. I think it may be that local people came to know that I was the one with the vegetable stand. Stealing from a neighbor you know is a little hard to do.

This year I added PayPal, posting my email address on the stand as the PayPal link. I was amazed at the number of PayPal purchases! I think it’s probably young people who are used to this type of arrangement. (Away from the computer, it would take me forever to figure out how to pay for something with PayPal!) Once in a while a PayPal transaction deletes 50 cents from the purchase - I think perhaps because that person has a business PayPal account. Otherwise, it’s been seamless and the money goes straight into my bank account. Actually, as I type that, it sounds a bit ominous!

Also, I stop keeping tabs on everything. It just feels better to collect some money at the end of the day and not account for every item. For me the idea of hosting a stand at the local Farmer’s Market is totally painful! All that small talk!

So, all in all, I think the honor system has worked out pretty well. Each side feels somewhat independent and anonymous…not the perfect hippie world, but workable.

7 Likes

True, but if you are running Windows (OS), just type “character map” in the search box in the left hand corner and you will find the symbol there in that app (along with a lot of others). :slight_smile:

1 Like

No it isn’t!

;-)M

9 Likes

Wow! That level of thievery is astounding! We have had an honor system at our stand before but no theft. And I’m glad you didn’t confront the thief. My grandfather used to say “if you’ll lie, you’ll steal, and if you’ll steal, you’ll kill”. We were taught VERY strongly against lying and stealing! Who knows what the guy would have done? Plenty of people have been injuries or killed because they have confronted someone about something small. Who wants to risk their life over a bag of apples! It’s just not worth it.

2 Likes

I agree… at least not around here it isn’t. Silent “h” all around. :wink:

2 Likes

Alright, y’all just don’t know how to talk. Around here everyone in farming pronounces herbicide with an H, as in Hee Haw. Ignore the few dictionaries which tell you to pronounce herbicide without the H. Those are written by New Yorkers who “budda” their bread, while the rest of the world “butters” it.

Then there are herbicide labels. All the ag labels use the article “a” before herbicide, instead of “an”. My Mammy always told me to use the “a” before a word which begins with a consonant, and “an” before a word with a vowel sound. I trust her because she taught me to keep my elbows off the table during supper.

I think the only people who pronounce herbicide without the H, are retired hippy bakers who live in Montana, and people from Ohio, who named their state after a tree no one’s ever seen, and a nut no one eats at Christmas. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Still chuckling!

2 Likes

Well, it is if you’re killing Herb.

4 Likes