I am trying to keep up with Joe Real on a 150:1 plums tree

Black Knot did not showed up on this Shiro until the 4th or 5th year.

On my E plum, Coe’s Golden Drop, it showed up in year 3.

Nothing really effective against BK. I like to believe that my spraying Kocide during dormant has slowed it down/kept it from spreading too quickly.

Also, if you have a drier climate, you may not have as much of the issue like us here in the humid east,

1 Like

I hope so. I lived on the hill and an open golf course so it is drier and more air flow.

Mostly cleft grafts for me on stone fruits, including plum, with close to 100% takes. Bud grafts require too much management of apical dominance to be practical for me on a multigrafted tree.

What is black knot?

Common fungal disease on plums.

https://extension.psu.edu/plum-disease-black-knot.

1 Like

Thanks for link. Never seen it in WA.

I think i have about a dozen on an apricot tree–plum/pluot/peach/cots…various types of each…but who knows if it’s still alive after this winter. I got some peach to work on it because i used a branch of hesse or something as a go between (peach didn’t work directly on apricot).

1 Like

I always chip bud mine here in the late summer (July/aug)…but i have no idea how it would work anywhere else. Its usually hot when i do it and the buds almost always stay dormant until the following spring. Good success with it though, but it does make you wait a winter to see if your results were a success.

I’ve always T-budded as I read that was best for stone fruit but I will try Chip budding this year. I’m in south Louisiana where summer is hot and moist. Should I take any additional precautions ?

I just counted my grafts on Blake’Pride pear tree OHxF 97). I have 15 grafts on it, 16 varieties including BP.

Some grow like weeds, Magness, Duchess. Others take its time, Fondante.

Growing pears and apples where I am seems easier than stone fruit. I must have grafted 20+ varieties of apples on my Honey Crisp. I lost counts.

I prefer pome to stone fruit for multi a grafted tree as it has less diseases and a chance of a tree surviving over a long period of time here is a lot better.

4 Likes

I agreed with you. I lost a multi grafted peach tree with about 10 varieties on it due to borer a few years back. That broke my heart for while.