I Be Jammin'!

Neighbor gave me access to his big old apricot yesterday. He said when he moved into the house about 50 years ago he brought two cuttings with him from his old place, one this 'cot and the other a prune. He stuck the cuttings in the ground, watered them, and they took. Still harvesting off of them both. Whereas I buy an expensive tree, plant and obsess over it, harvest two or three crops at best, and watch it die.

Anyhow I made apricot jam today: five cups of semi-ripe cots, a shredded apple, a shot of lemon juice, and three cups of sugar. I cooked two batches inside and then put them in a full immersion water bath for half an hour outside. Pics:

. I used to use a steamer, but I loaned it out and it never came home.

29 Likes

I’d be jammin’ too!!! Yum!!!

5 Likes

That looks good. I will be making some elderberry and black currant jelly.

6 Likes

Way not to heat up the house!

3 Likes

REALLY made the difference! And the camp stove was right outside the back door, which opens into the kitchen. (And I needed to use that stove- it’s been stored outside and was rusting up.)

1 Like

Awesome!

2 Likes

I want a jar!!! Looks so great and so is your method of canning in this miserable heat!

3 Likes

Your jam looks delicious. Interesting history about the trees.

2 Likes

Why adding shredded apple?

2 Likes

I’m no expert, but aoples are full of pectin which helps the jam set.

2 Likes

Happy nailed it, Mam. Apples disappear into the other fruit, don’t compete with the flavor or texture, practically guarantee a good set without adding commercial pectin, and let you stretch your precious fruit a little in the process. Slightly underripe apples have more pectin than riper ones. I cook up four or five cups at a time and shred one smallish apple in a batch. I use them with peach, plum, and raspberry jam.

8 Likes

If anyone is interested, i do have a peach jam recipe without any added pectin. It take several days. It’s a process of heating up the jelly and allowing it to cool multiple times.

2 Likes

Is it too long to copy here? I’d like to see it.

2 Likes

Pectin free peach preserve recipe. Google Natasha’s Kitchen Country Peach Preserves. You can find the entire recipe at that web site.

2 Likes

Found it right away- now I’m going to have to try it!

5 Likes

I have made this twice. It realy is good. It is time consuming, but worth it.

2 Likes

This multiple boiling/cooling cycle is how I make my apricot jam. However, I find that it’s difficult to boil for 4th and 5th time without scorching. In my experience three times is enough.

6 Likes

Mark,
Thank you. As you can guess I am not a baker or a jam maker. I am a supervisor :wink:

4 Likes