I bought Artichokes; whats next?

I bought Artichokes yesterday. How should I cook them?

My main dish is going to be roasted quail.

Steam and serve with lemon garlic butter, yum!

Nothing could be easier. First, cut off any spines with sharp scissors. Then, pop them whole into a large pot. Fill with water so the water covers the artichokes. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil, then drop to a simmer/low roll boil and cook for about 30-45 mins. (depending on how many artichokes you have in the pot), or, until the artichokes are soft. Use a large fork (I use my carving fork that has LONG tines) can piece the artichoke. Drain, let cool a bit. Serve with either dipping sauce (some folks just use mayo or clarified butter, I will make a sour cream and chive dip). When you get to the heart, pull out all the thistles carefully, and discard the thistles. Cut the heart into 4 pieces and enjoy the very best part of the artichoke. Very, very easy! Enjoy.

Patty S.

1 Like

I have to make something delicious with these ingredients.

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

I will be making French Onion Soup:

3 Likes

Ulises maybe you should be a chef. You’ve got aptitude here man…!!

2 Likes

My mouth is watering! Not much better eating than quail. I cannot imagine artichokes and quail on the same plate I would weigh 500 pounds being around you! :0)

1 Like

3 Likes

The artichokes were inedible.

Nothing new there…:grin:

1 Like

Why were the artichokes inedible? The water in your pot is about 1/2 what you need :slight_smile: The water needs to cover the artichokes completely. You need to boil them until they’re soft - so when your stab them with a large fork, the fork easily pierces the artichoke. The only part of the leaves you eat are the very bases. You strip off the flesh at the base with your teeth. You can dip that base into something if you like - clarified (seasoned) butter, mayo, seasoned sour cream. Then, prepare and eat the heart as I described above. I’ve never had an “inedible” artichoke, if prepared as I described. They are delectable! :yum: But, your meal looks quite delicious, even without the artichokes!

2 Likes

The hearts were tough.

Sounds like you didn’t boil them long enough. Did you test with a fork?

You need to steam them for at least an hour and a quarter at the least!

1 Like

I only boiled them for 35 minutes.

No.

Okay. They’re inedible because they’re just undercooked. :grinning:

1 Like

We have a large Lebanese population around here, and I’m hooked on how they prepare quail. Cornish hen can be prepared the same way. I myself have not attempted to replicate it. We often dine at various Lebanese restaurants. I have 3 or 4 favorites. each family that runs them has their own family recipes they use. Awesome food, the best! I could not eat quail prepared any other way.

2 Likes