I collected rose hips and planted seed a couple of months ago

Now I have 14 seedlings about an inch tall growing in a window where they get a few hours of light each day. Has anyone else ever grown roses from seed? If so, any cautions about growing them? These should be from Eden climbing rose with a nearby red rose as likely pollinator.

Also, Rotesmeer purple carpet roses are common in Oregon and parts of Washington. I’d love to find someone who could send me a few rose hips to get seed from.

1 Like

I have Monrovia carpet roses, red and coral.

@Fusion_power how long did you stratify them for, did you need to scarify them? I collect wild rose hips for seeds if you’re looking for those (Rosa woodsii), they might have interesting genetics if you’re into making crosses.

I did not stratify the seed, they were collected as rose hips off the plant. I cut the seed out a few days later and put them into soil. The best I recall, there were about 20 seed and I have 14 seedlings. Several of the seed were small and/or flattened which typically means they were not viable. I’m happy with 14 growing!

Interesting that you ask about stratifying. I’ve never stratified members of rosacea. Apples, pears, etc germinate just fine as fresh seed. They must never get fully dry as it kills them.

Re seed, I’m really only interested in the purple carpet roses (Rotes Meer I think) I saw in Oregon and parts of Washington. They produce an abundance of rose hips. I brought some of the rose hips home with me 10 years ago but did not get any of the seed to germinate.

1 Like

It’s better to plant known cultivars. Here is Karpatia originating from Czech-Republic. If getting known cultivars is not an option, you will have higher success rooting cuttings.

3 Likes

Wow! This is rose hips? It looks like baby tomato… :grin:
Congratulations!

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s a rosehip cultivar, named Karpatia, originating from the czech mountains.

3 Likes

It’s incredible! What you do with it? Thanks!

1 Like

I have a tradition in my family to create jam from the fruits. It’s a delicate and hard process, which begins with the harvest, the plant has spines, then you need to press the fruits and after that you also need to separate the tiny little hair found in the liquid pasta.

2 Likes

Wow incredible story! Thank you very much! :+1:

I looked up details on Karpatia rose (Rosa Villosa) and this got a chuckle, “With thorns/spines/prickles/teeth”. It is a very interesting rose. Do you propagate it by cuttings or by seed?

The carpet roses that I think are Rotes Meer (Rosa Rugosa) are similar in producing hundreds of rose hips on each plant, but the height of the plant is only 3 to 4 feet.

1 Like

I don’t propagate it myself, but other Rosa canina (wild rosehips) can easily be propagated by cuttings, just like roses.

I also have 2 Rosa rugosa’s too, one with pink flowers and one with white flowers.

1 Like