I got my scion wood from USDA yesterday

Did you get peach from ARS (i.e. Davis repository)? I had thought they stopped shipping orders to non-researchers but I have a package that showed up today. I think I may have put the order in before they changed the policy.

I placed an order from Davis last year, days after the deadline, so I missed out last winter from getting anything. I did get an email confirmation back then though. I have not seen anything, and given the policy change I probably wonā€™tā€¦

But I hope youā€™re right about honoring orders placed before the change. I teach and have used the cuttings to show rooting, so that is the reason I have generally listed.

Scott

I was just notified by e-mail that my package is on the way via UPS.

Iā€™m glad that yours is on the way. Iā€™m still waiting for the notification.

I got mine a couple weeks ago and I never received any shipping notification.

Iā€™m guessing things are wrapping up. I just got an email from Dawn in reply to mine from last month. She said theyā€™d been real busy filling requests, and that they have no mechanism to accept donations for the time being. Enjoy the gift.

I submitted an order for ten things from Corvallis and they were all accepted weeks ago.When clicking on the ID number though and opening up more info about the item,some read that they are not available to order.So I donā€™t know if those will be sent. Brady

The Corvallis site is currently under a quarantine due to bacteria problem. No scions from that site until further notice.

Anyone receive anything from Davis?

Okay,thanks Matt. Brady

I just received the notification this morning. So happy to see it.
However, they had my street number wrong. Iā€™ll have to contact UPS later and hope they will allow me to change it. Iā€™d hate to have to trouble Geneva site to help with this since they are busy enough.

I just received my package of apple budwood from Geneva right now. The sticks are huge.

They were able to provide 2 of the 3 varieties I requested:
-Sweet Sixteen and
-Red Fuji BC#2

I am still looking to obtain Red Gravenstein. I found a backup source that will be a hassle to pursue, but thems the brakes.

I am thankful and glad to have received what was provided.

I can just say from past experience the GRIN folks have always gone above and beyond. I got beautiful Mirabelle and gage scions from them last year, there are a few people here I am sending gage wood to because of their help (Mirabelle got deer-pruned this winter to where they pulled the graft completelyā€¦ :frowning:)

I have worked with Corvallis, Davis, and Geneva at different times, and they are all greatā€“they arenā€™t in the business of just sending stuff out crazy, but they seem to still be pretty understanding of hobbyists if youā€™re nice. They are a tremendous (and in my case, tremendously patient at times) resource.

2 Likes

I can look for Red Gravenstein for you at our exchange in a few weeks.

1 Like

Murky,

Thanks. That would be great.

SO I took a closer look at the scion wood I received from the USDA a few weeks back. Didnā€™t notice it at the time but they got one of the 3 varieties wrong that I had ordered. Instead of Goldrush they sent me Dā€™Arcy Spicy. I know nothing about that variety. Is it worthy of planting in the Mid atlantic? I have since received Goldrush from another member here so itā€™s not a huge deal but was curious about Dā€™Arcy none the less.

Here is some info on the Darcy
http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/darcy-spice

2 Likes

Thanks Chartman. It gets perfect marks at Orange Pippin but admitted a small sample size. Not the prettiest apple but looks to have some disease resistance. Probably worth trying.

1 Like

I had major rot problems with it. YMMV :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Oh no. Thats good to know. Youā€™re in my neck of the woods. Maybe Iā€™ll look into something else. Was considering a crab like Chestnut or Wickson.