I hate this time of year!

Three healthy children are blessings for sure!

My mom’s first baby, and only son was stillborn. I think of those unable to have any, and figure any losses are outweighed by the joy one child brings. IMO being a mom is the most amazing thing ever.

That was good Jolene. I tend to be a little over proud of my wife, I feel lucky, not meant as bragging, but amazed myself of her, even after 36 years of marriage, I feel lucky, and have to pinch myself from time to time.
Our volunteer department is not official. We were thinking of making it so. We would all formally be trained. This is still under advisement. It probably will not happen, as we cannot meet the requirements on such a small island. We train ourselves on the pumps we have, and nobody has much experience, just what we have encountered on the island. It is what it is! Many of my friends are fireman, EMT, etc, and are there for training or whatever we need.
Our problems is response time, and so we decided to take matters in our own hand. We ran into problems like the closet city is Algonac, We are not part of the city, we are Clay Township. For years we paid Algonac fire to cover us. They did a great job. Now Clay Township is not happy about it and has increased the size of the Harsens Island Fire Department to cover our area too. Forgetting about the last 100 years of not being able to. They have there own volunteers, and are willing to train us too… But require use of property here, and we cannot so far meet that need. Nobody lives here year round, well only a couple people. We have no water, sewer, no gas lines, and electrical is unreliable. Relations with either city officials Algonac or Clay Township are unproductive. Algonac wants to absorb us (and the revenue from taxes), Clay Township says no way. It’s a mess at best. So like always all we have is each other, and so we organized our own people as best we could.

1 Like

Annexation wars - that’s familiar!