I just got a Red Jaboticaba aka Jabuticaba. Looks like it needs a little love. Any help would be appreciated!

I just picked up this red jaboticaba when I bought my mango. The seller has some established jaboticaba in containers with ripe fruit and let me try one. I was sold and asked if he has any for sale. This is what I got:

The story on this guy was it was in ground at a friend’s house and the friend had to move. He had TONS of tropical plants and his friends (including the seller) helped dig up a lot of the trees and plants. He kept this red one (which was planted in ground in 2020 before being dug up in 2021) when the friend moved and its been in a container for a year or so.

I have read @aap posts and I see that he recommends Espoma holly tone, No hot sun, partial shade, water p/h 5 or 51/2, and compost. I am fairly sure this is currently in some acid lovers soil mix as the seller told me to use that when I decide to up-pot.

I used to be into hydroponic growing so I have some more expensive test equipment. I calibrated my mater and my city water from the hose runs at around a p/h of 8. I also live in costal SoCal so it never gets super hot here, but I also have it in my container jungle garden (below), so it gets some good shade as well.

As you can see, the leaves are a little…burnt or browned. I was hoping to keep this in a container long term. I would also like to hook it up to my container watering system. At this point, in keeping it in the current container and knowing the current conditions, what would you all recommend as a way to get it into tip top shape? How do I counteract the high p/h of my water? Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I’ve found that I can titrate vinegar into a gallon of water of my well water (pH 7.8) and bring pH down to 6.5 using less that 1 tsp vinegar. When water stands at room temperature for a day, however, the pH starts to creep back. I do this every time I water my greenhouse citrus. Not sure if this is really a sustainable solution.

If you don’t have to move your plant for the winter months, I would buy a 25 gl squat container, fill with pinebark fine, good quality peatmoss, Turface, perlite for starters. A large saucer to hold access water, Jaboticaba like a lot of water.
You’re good to go for 3 years. I use only rainwater. If you can grow blueberry, you can grow Jaboticaba. Cotton seed meal is good to. NO,NO strong fertilizers.

1 Like

Well, I can grow blueberry. I historically have not been good at it :sweat_smile: I also do not need to move the plant for winter months. This is what our historical weather looks like San Clemente 2021 Past Weather (California, United States) - Weather Spark

I mix my own 5-1-2 citrus mix so I have #3 perlite and this bark: Dr. Earth Premium Micro Bark Decorative Ground Cover And Mulch - Dr Earth. Not sure where to get Turface.

You can find Turface at landscaping businesses, $15.00/50lb, D/E works also.
Other than that, you are in good shape, good luck. You can get 3 yields through the season in your area, easy!

Okay I actually have DE. Im experimenting rooting fig cuttings in it. What are the ratios for the mix of the pinebark, peatmoss, DE, and perlite? And do I need to add any lime? I usually have to add lime to my citrus mix as it helps the plant up take minerals better. Thanks again for the feedback!

No lime. 5/1/2 is good. I don’t measure those numbers exactly, I might add more peat with Jaboticaba.

Thank you. So, 5-1-2-1? 5 parts bark, 1 part perlite, 2 parts peatmoss and 1 part DE? Also, my water is pretty alkaline at a p/h of 8. As I use to be into hydroponics, I can order some pH down and treat a bucket of water. Thats a lot of work, but is that what you would recommend to get it where it needs to be?