ID of an Asian pear

My wife really liked this store-bought Asian pear. It’s large, pyriform, with a very light yellow skin. The flesh is crisp, not tough, very juicy. Flavor is very mild (I would say, weak), only slightly sweet. Can somebody ID this variety? Thanks!

4 Likes

It resembles the Ya Li variety

1 Like

It’s 200% Ya Li.

2 Likes

It’s a Yali, I bought a few recently, I like this variety better than Korean Giant.

2 Likes

I grow Korean Giant and it has pretty strong flavor and a good sweetness level. Ya Li (which everybody says what it is) has a subtle flavor but much better texture and is juicier. Flavor profiles are also quite different. Korean Giant is butterscotch/caramel, while Ya Li is floral/fruity.

1 Like

The Korean Giant I get from the Korean supermarket has very tough skin. It’s sweeter than Yali but I prefer Yali better.
I gave my KG to my brother and I’m looking forward to my Yali next year. Let’s hope I get some fruit.

2 Likes

The Yali that sell in grocery will have that yellow color because the fruit grower cover the whole pear in a white paper bag. My Yali fruits are greenish yellow and super juicy and floral smell.

Tony

4 Likes