Identify this insect - 2022

@LarryGene thanks for looking! I caught two adults and printed out a millimeter ruler to serve as a background. Here’s my best attempt with my phone camera. They definitely have two pairs of wings.

2 Likes

That’s it, Brady. It was posted in a Houzz topic several years ago and I could not remember the insect type. Thanks for the lead.

Of the Psocoptera, the ncdabbler insect most resembles an “Outer Barklouse”, family Ectopsocidae.
https://bugguide.net/node/view/141062/bgimage?from=24
They feed on a variety of decaying matter. They would not be a pest of citrus, and they may not be responsible for the other insect activity on the mandarin leaves, they would be looking for byproducts of that activity, like ants do with aphids, for example.

Thanks for the pictures of the captured specimens; the two pairs of wings rules out the huge Diptera (fly) Order that have only one pair of wings.

4 Likes

Thanks @LarryGene and @Bradybb, I appreciate your help with IDing these tiny insects! They are in such large numbers on my mandarin tree, that my first assumption was they must be a pest of some kind. I would’ve never guessed they were bark lice from many pictures of their larger cousins - glad to hear they aren’t hurting the tree.

There are many ants on my tree at the moment too, but they seem to be attracted to the flowers. I had a mite infestation on the tree over the winter, so a lot of the older leaves still show signs of that damage. Could the mites’ prior feeding leave a residue that attracts the bark lice? Or maybe they like to eat pollen? We have a nice dusting of that on everything at the moment.

1 Like

Yes, bark lice do feed on pollen.

Just learned of a bug that resembles it So if you see one with checkered wings make sure you do not kill a
whitefly predator Dicyphus hesperus
(I may buy some of these for indoors , but it is $75 for a population
note other sites may be cheaper, but those sites are not listing there prices)

https://bugguide.net/node/view/245521/bgimage

1 Like

20220617_153104

Noticed this odd leaf curl on my persimmon seedlings… on just a few leaves.

Rolled that curl out and found a bunch of these very small insects in there…

I took a small brush and swept out all I could find and gave them some seven spray…

Hope that does it.

Any idea what that is ? Some kind of sap sucking critter I suppose… just b4 I took that picture he or she was wiggling his or her behind back and fourth…

Picture then smash and in the trash.

@TNHunter

I have them here, don’t think they really cause much trouble .
Syrphid flys are their natural predator , so keeping flowers around
That attracts syrphid flys should help .

Thanks @Hillbillyhort - good to know what it is called.

I noticed that leaf curl about a week or two ago and I thought it was something odd caused by the extreme heat we have been having… but today I noticed that the newer leaves that came out above those looked normal (and it has still been very hot) and just those few below had that. So I started inspecting it more and found those critters. I gave them a hard time with a brush and seven spray… hope I did them all in.

I’ve been picking these out of my rhubarb blossoms and thought I’d like to know what they are. But trying to ID a “black beetle” online is a needle-in-a-haystack search. I think I’ve seen photos on GF to something similar but didn’t know what to search for so here I am with my question photo. I thought they were the same that I earlier had picked out of my aronia blossoms but looking closer at the photo they are similar type but not the same (aronia’s were more pattenred black/gray or browns). (I didn’t think to take a photo of them). Sue

rhubarb-flower-beetles-gf

1 Like

Maybe some kind of leaf beetle, Cryptocephalus fulguratus.There are quite a few in the Chrysomelidae family.Over 37,000 species,if that is what they are.

The beetles above lack the long antennae of the proposed leaf beetle.

Your beetles are scarabs, probably one of the fruit and flower chafers.
I will look for a species ID as time allows. But habits and control will be the same for any chafer beetle.

All scarab beetles, regardless of size, are built like tanks and have short, comb-like antennae, I think one antenna is visible in the left-most beetle, above. The rest of the antennas are held too close to the body to see.

2 Likes

I could not find a good match in the Chafers, but in the May Beetle and June Bugs (these are scarabs), this is a good match:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/12916/bgimage

The range and size are correct (see Info and Data tabs on the above linked page)

Also, for this genus, there are black males and brown females, like your photo.

If numerous, these would be a pest insect.

2 Likes

@LarryGene thanks so much! I’d tried about every combination of words I could think of when searching for an ID, but didn’t think of Chafer. And I couldn’t find anything even closely related to either aronia or rhubarb so maybe they aren’t specific to those flowers. I’m pretty tolerant of insects but my aronia flowers were full of them and I guessed that wasn’t a good thing. Several pickings several days apart took care of them. Same with the rhubarb. Now that I have a good direction I’ll read up more about them in general. I’d seen them here and there in years past but never so many all at once. In looking closer at the rhubarb ones I think they are the same as were in the aronia. Sue

By searching State specific not plant specific I found this online in a bulletin from Michigan State Univ. And since we have wild blueberries all around this ID makes even more sense. it does appear that you are correct with the Hoplia trifasciata ID Larry Gene.

“The warm weather over the past few weeks has brought out one of the earliest scarab beetles we find in Michigan blueberry fields. This species is a Hoplia flower beetle (Hoplia trifasciata) and the adults feed on young buds and can also feed on flowers…They prefer flower buds and leave ragged feeding on the buds and on the flowers from their feeding.”

It sounded like they really didn’t know if they did much damage or not, but it wasn’t of big concern.

1 Like

Thanks for confirming my ID by using a scientific source–MSU would know far better than I.

Universities and Ag Departments usually only study insects that are of commercial importance (damaged crops). One online source mentioned that if over 2% of blueberry blossoms are eaten, time to break out the poisons.

MSU is using the common name Hoplia flower beetle. At Bugguide, they have them in a Genus of “Monkey Beetles”, specifically the “3-lined Hoplia”, a curious common name because I do not see the 3 lines on your beetles! (most insects with common names of “lined” have distinct line markings. In this case the “lines” may be referring to some other anatomical part.

From Male and Female Monkey Beetles | The Backyard Arthropod Project
" They are evidently called Monkey Beetles because they have a tendency to hang by their hind feet from things and sometimes do a sort of somersault."

1 Like

Nice 2nd photo showing the wings, @ncdabbler ! That really does help. Glad @LarryGene and @Bradybb were able to chime in.

@Sue-MiUPz3 thanks for sharing, this is a scarab-type beetle I haven’t seen yet. UMN seems to suggest that the colouring depends on sex, which I find interesting. How neat that you found them attracted to your rhubarb flowers! I will have to remember that for next year. On another page, UMN comments that they are attracted to Prunus and Amelanchier too.

alleyapples: Interesting; the UMN versus the Bugguide text or images have the gender colors reversed.
Most sources state that the males are black. Bugguide does not claim to be authoritative.

1 Like

How about this guy? Found on apple leaves.

1 Like

That looks like an Assassin Bug.Be careful,they can jab with their pointed mouth-part.They are an insect killer.

2 Likes