Identify this insect - 2022

I already IDed this beauty (it’s a “red spotted purple” - was the namer of this butterfly colorblind? “orange spotted blue” might be more accurate). But I figured other insect aficionados might appreciate seeing it too.

8 Likes

There are many online comments (including bugguide.net) taking issue with the common name of this butterfly, first described in the 1700s. Perhaps back then, ‘red’ was more commonly used to describe a range of warm colors, and blue vs. purple is very subjective.

2 Likes

It definitely has a bit of purple near the wing tips. I wonder if maybe it has become less red over time for some evolutionary or environmental reason? Like those moths in the UK that got darker during the coal-burning era (the light colored ones were easier for predators to spot on soot-covered surfaces) and then turned lighter again when the air was cleaned up. Here’s an article about it:

1 Like

Does anyone recognize these eggs on my potted citrus tree (which is outdoors currently)? I don’t know if any spiders lay eggs like this (I usually think of them making egg sacs), but there is a spider hanging out nearby:

They are probably insect eggs,maybe butterfly/moth.Nice placement.

1 Like

This is on a handful of leaves on an [English|Persian|Carpathian] Walnut.

Butternut wooly sawfly perhaps?

Good call, Butternut Woolyworm.

1 Like

Egg clusters: either true bugs or some moth. Certain moths can lay 100s of eggs.

I would pinch those leaves off, put them in a container, and see what hatches, nymphs or caterpillars.

1 Like

Good idea… I had unfortunately already squished them though (they appeared to be eating the leaves). If I find any more, may just have to do that…

I did as you suggested and they hatched today. Definitely some kind of caterpillars, of a miniscule inchworm sort:

2 Likes

Then moth eggs it was. And very likely a pest species.

Inchworms are larvae from geometrid moth eggs. Geometrid moths have thin, small bodies. More likely the big egg masses were from a larger moth, noctuid or other family.

3 Likes

Google chrome came up with this on the photo search. I have found amazing results using this feature.

1 Like

“:…on the photo search”. What photo was being searched? Psocoptera appeared in this thread topic on 1 May. Your link does provide interesting information.

Sorry, I must have started back at the beginning of the topic. I think it was this.

In that case the Google image search via Chrome browser did a good job, likely because the insects are prominent in the photo and several details are present.

1 Like

I know it is 2023 but might I add an inquiry to the 2022 thread? This lady and her brothers and sisters seem to like the new growth in one of my apple trees. It is ~ 6 or so mm long and it took many attempts on the cell phone to get one picture in focus.

Perhaps a really, really tiny assassin bug? I am only guessing that because of the orange. Otherwise it doesn’t look so assassin-like to me.

IMG_2264

Immature ladybug.

1 Like

@sockworth Indeed! google search of ladybug nymph images makes that one pretty clear. Thanks!

FYI It’s fairly easy to search by image, for similar images. That can often times help identify an insect or a plant, etc…

Right-click an image and “Search images with Google” (if your browser is Chrome at least). Or you can install the Google Lens app or surf to https://lens.google.com/ Possibly other ways as well.

1 Like

cool… :slight_smile: I was never able to do the identification, only the confirmation.

1 Like