Identify tree? Sumac or pistache family?

This is a mystery tree, smaller up to 25 or 30 ft tall tree, grows in patches and suckers a lot!
Here are some pictures.
It has a unique growth habit, and new buds begin with these fat round leaves and break out into the pecan-sumac style stem leaves:

You can see the bark style developing on that bigger limb above, the trunks get 5"+ thick and have rough bark.
It looks related to Sumac or Chinese Pistache, it gets to be a bigger tree than any sumac I am familiar with, but Im not sure what it is. It has a significant smell too when you break a limb.

I was even thinking wow if it was chinese pistache i might could graft kerman pistachio etc to it…

1 Like

Doesn’t resemble any sumac I’m familiar with. And doesn’t quite look like Tree of Heaven.

Chinese Pistache appears to be the right ID. But, if it blooms, take some pictures.

(what would a Chinese pistache be doing in Kansas unless someone planted one, I’'d be surprised if it is naturalized…and if it is, then 40 years from now it’ll make the 'invasive species" list.)

1 Like

I think tree of heaven

1 Like

Is it stinky if you cut into it? If so, I think @Hillbillyhort is right. Ailanthus - Tree of Heaven (or hell, depending on how much effort you have put into getting rid of them).

1 Like

Looks like tree of heaven, break a branch. If it stinks, bingo.

1 Like

Once well-formed, Ailanthus leaves have a small but distinctive notch near the base of each leaflet of the compound leaf.

1 Like

Definitely ailanthus. Graft it to some roundup.

3 Likes

Thanks yall I think yall figured it out. Tree of heaven…
Well that puts to rest my hopes to graft good things to it lol!
I wonder if it has any good uses? Does its smell maybe leaves kill cancer lol?

1 Like

Just wait till spotted lantern fly shows up out there, that’s their primary host plant.

Kill it with roundup ASAP! These trees spread suckers like crazy. Especially if you just cut the tree down to the stump. This tree is like crack to the spotted lanternfly.