Identifying pear tree that came with house

Looking to identify the pear tree that we inherited when we bought our new house last fall. We live in western Washington. Picture of fruit as it has been developing.

5 Likes

I am not experienced enough with pears to help you unfortunately (hopefully that will change soon) But I’m going to tag @clarkinks. He’d have a good idea I’ll bet. I’m sure there are others as well that will chime in soon. Good luck and welcome to the forum👍

1 Like

Given the shape it could be a Bosc. But it’s too early to tell, IMHO. If it is it’s a good thing.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bosc+pears&t=lm&iax=images&ia=images

1 Like

The shape does look very Bosc-y at this stage of development. Like @marknmt said, too early to tell with certainty.

1 Like

Based on pictures, the Concord also has same shape, but is not russeted. Is there a russet in skin texture or is it a smooth red blush?

https://usapears.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/USA-Pears-10-varieties-with-AHA-963x1024.jpg

1 Like

Congrats on getting a house with a bearing pear tree.

1 Like

Not sure if it helps, but this is the leaf shape:

1 Like

We dont know what it is yet but there are many guesses. The more pictures the better. I know what it is not at this point. As the fruit progresses and we have more photos we will narrow it down.

2 Likes

Could be anything at this stage. Looks not unlike my “Honeycrisp” small, Seckel-like sugar pear.

1 Like

Newest shot - same pear as the first shot

1 Like

And the latest shot of the same pear:

1 Like

Newest pictures of more mature pears

4 Likes

I’m going with Bosc with the shape and russet. Here is mine just a couple of days ago I’m in Vancouver Washington. Where are you in Washington?

6 Likes

Bosc. A very fine pear -and I just got my first ones this year after a very long wait. Shoulda just bought a new house, I guess!

3 Likes

We’re in Snoqualmie - about 25 miles east of Seattle. So, if they are Bosc, how do I know when to harvest since I understand that Bosc are the rare pear the doesn’t need to ripen after picking?

Try this site it explains how to tell a ripe Bosc better than I could. The tilt test is not a good indicator of ripeness on Bosc as per Oregon state university there difficult to separate from Spurs. I’d say your close if not there. Looks paler green under tone skin color. I just picked 3/4 of mine left some for later picking as I’ll use those first.

1 Like

Yes bosc

OK, so we are expecting a frost either tonight or tomorrow so I went ahead and harvested the rest of the pears. So here’s roughly 40 lbs of Bosc pears in various stages of ripeness:

4 Likes

Beautiful harvest. A friend gave us over 100 lbs of Bosc pears several years ago. We dried most of them and they were outstanding. I never liked dried pears as a kid, greatly preferring dried stone fruit. But these held their own, like pear caramels. We did it over the course of a couple of weeks, and the riper they were, the better.

I grafted a Golden Russet Bosc because of how well those processed.

2 Likes

Beautiful and nice size too. I dehydrated mine as well. I had 45 lbs this year wish I had a hundred as they were like candy after drying. I second murky the riper the better for drying but before browning in center is best. Also ate a bunch fresh, a lot better than store bought.