IMIDAN 70 and BMSB

Apple,

Actually the LD50 is based on the concentrate formulation of the pesticide purchased, not on the final spray mixture. You call pull it right off the Material Safety Data Sheet (msds) which has recently been renamed simply Safety Data Sheet (sds). The MSDS/SDS has toxicological information (LD50 values-generally for rats) not for the diluted spray mixture (since in most instances the dilution rate is at the discretion of the applicator). Nor is the toxicological information for the active ingredient itself in it pure form, rather the toxicological information is for the formulation in the bottle itself.

The reason for this is that workers who ship/handle the product could be exposed to the concentrate in the bottle (through spills, etc.) In that case, accurate toxicological information would be helpful to physicians/poison control centers to determine if the victim had received a lethal dose. In some cases the MSDS/SDS must accompany the product being shipped for this reason.

If you look at the MSDS/SDS of something like Captan 50 and Captan 80, you will notice the Captan 80 has a lower LD50 value. Of course one would expect a lower LD50 value for the Captan 80 because it has a higher percentage of active ingredient making the formulation more lethal.

This ties back into our previous discussion in that, as you point out, Mustang only has 10% active ingredient and is still roughly as lethal as Imidan with 70% a.i. However, as I mentioned, the use rate of Mustang is 20 times less than Imidan, giving the initial fruit residue a much higher margin of safety (for mammals) vs. Imidan.

Because of all this, in your tick example with Sevin and pyrethroids, it is true that pyrethroids are many times more effective than older compounds if you consider simply the amount of active ingredient it takes to destroy the pest. In that case, pyrethroids are the clear winner because so very little is required to control the pest. However, I agree with you it could be very misleading to people because efficacy trials are based on using the respective pesticide at labeled rates, not based on how little active ingredient is required to do the job. So if someone interpreted a pyrethoid to be 64 times more effective than the alternative because it took 64 times less active ingredient, that person would be mistaken. To determine efficacy one would need to compare both pesticides at labeled rates. That was a good point to bring up. Glad you pointed it out.

Lastly, I want to mention again, I personally would not be afraid to spray Imidan, or eat produce which had been sprayed with it. In my last couple of posts Iā€™m merely trying to offer some rationale as to why EPA is not that hip on organophosphates, which probably has a lot to do with their lower margin of safety. However something with a lower margin of safety does not automatically mean itā€™s dangerous. It simply means it has a lower margin of safety than something else, but still may be entirely safe. Flying in an airplane has a higher margin of safety than automobile travel, but Iā€™m not afraid to do either one.

Thank you Olpea, I appreciate the clarification.

BTWā€¦I understand your position, I know your not promoting pyrethroids or anything. Your just answering my questionsā€¦I get you.

Alan

Iā€™m going to use the Imidan I have on hand but targeted toward the proper pests. I like the fact that its easy on many beneficial insects and hard on PC, but it does not do much to RAA or BMSB. I need to determine the proper time to spray it on both Apples and Peaches. I just assumed it would kill just most of my pests but I was wrong.

http://entomology.osu.edu/welty/pdf/OhioAppleReport2013Final.pdf

Rosy apple aphid colonies on 5/21 were less abundant in plots treated with Closer or Lorsban at
the pink bud stage on 4/23 than in plots treated with Asana or untreated; plots treated with Mustang Max
were intermediate (P < 0.0001, Table 4).
Green apple aphid was abundant in all plots. Scouting of terminal shoots on 6/5 showed
significantly lower infestation of green apple aphid in plots treated with Mustang at pink followed by
Gladiator at petalfall and first cover (Table 5). This shifted by 6/14 when green apple aphid infestation
was significantly less where Closer was sprayed at second cover on 6/6. By 6/19, aphid infestation had
dropped sharply in plots treated with Closer or in untreated plots (Table 5). Predatory insects that were
found in green apple aphid colonies were lady beetles (larvae and adults), which were significantly higher
in untreated plots than in all insecticide plots (P = 0.0031, Table 6), and Aphidoletes larvae which were
significantly higher in Mustang/Gladiator plots and in Lorsban/Imidan plots (P < 0.0001, Table 6). Orius
insidiosus adults and nymphs, and lacewing larvae and eggs, were also found but did not show significant
treatment effects (P > 0.05, Table 6).
Woolly apple aphid was detected in early summer and showed significant treatment effects, with
lower infestations where Lorsban or Closer had been used at the pink bud stage (Table 7). By 6/19,
infestation had fallen in the untreated control but was high in plots treated with Mustang or Asana.
Mites were at low density, as they have been in this orchard for the past few years. In early July,
there was only a trace of European red mite, which did not show any significant treatment effect (Table
8). Apple rust mite was absent in all samples. Stigmaeids were the most abundant predatory mite but
they did not show a significant treatment effect; they were most abundant in the untreated plots and least
abundant in Mustang/Gladiator plots (Table 8). Phytoseiid predatory mites were found only in the
Lorsban/Imidan treatment (Table 8).

Thank you for the information. Iā€™m not familiar with Closer, but Iā€™m going to check it out. I did notice the signal word is ā€œcautionā€ which I like a lot. Iā€™m a little scared of Lorsban and I would not spray it with my airblast sprayer. Ever used any Closer?

nope, and like you, I hadnā€™t heard of it before. Must be relatively new as this infomercial was published 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iunzDAVsty0

BTW I think (may be mistaken), that Lannate is usually paired with Imidan (when using Imidan) for RAA etc.

Apple

Lannate is another chemical that I would not spray. I requested some more info on Closer to see if it is registered in my state and who sells it

Why wouldnā€™t you spray methomyl?

Would you guess itā€™s pronounced Closer, as in the ninth inning pitcher? Surely itā€™s not closer, as it getting closer, but not quite there yetā€¦lol. That would be like naming an insecticide ā€œAlmostā€ā€¦hahaha

BTWā€¦it is approved in North Carolina it seems.

Search by Product Name

just search Closer under product name

Thanks for the information on the 9th inning pitcher! Iā€™m going to order some new chemicals this year, but I probably will not add Closer. Iā€™m going to add Actara, Altacor and Delegate and use the information from the NC State IPM site to get the proper chemical sprayed at the right time . I try to avoid chemicals that I believe are very toxic to people like Lannate, or Paraquat. I do spray Lorsban but only from a wand sprayer on the bottom of the peach tree trunks and scaffolds. I donā€™t soray Lorsban from the air blast sprayer with an open cab tractor even with a spray suit and a full face respirator.

Does Lorsban stink like Imidan? Same kind of stinkā€¦as bad?

I read through your link provided earlierā€¦itā€™s a nice read. Thank you

I donā€™t notice the smell after I spray the Lorsban, but I stay out of the spay area for several days!

I stumbled on the IPM stuff from NCSU, but I believe its going to help me reduce my spray and maintain the quality.

Lorsban 75WG Insecticide is pretty expensive chemical. 6.65lbs is around $200.00. I know that goes a long way though.

I use Lorsban in the 4E version to spray the trunks of my peach trees around Labor Day. Its not very expensive, it works great on the borers and a 2 1/2 gallon jug lasts many years! After Labor Day I donā€™t spend any time in the peach orchard so the higher toxicity as indicated by the high re-entry time (4 days) does not concern me.

There was some discussion from the EPA on banning the chemical. I expect it will eventually go away or its use will be severely restricted. Itā€™s suggested as a mix with dormant oil on apples in my state, but I have never used it for that purpose,

1 Like

Given the fact that you are only spraying the base of the trees the re-entry time shouldnā€™t worry you anyway. They are based on entire trees being sprayed and the idea that people may be rubbing up against the trees. Picking up poison off dewy grass is also a potential problem. A couple squirts at the base of trees is not- as long as you are not overcome with a desire to get down on your knees and lick them.

The law is the law, of course, and Iā€™m not advocating breaking any- even oneā€™s that make no sense in certain situations and are extremely unlikely of being enforced.

Actually its a lot more than a couple of squirts! More like a puddle at the base of the trees - about 1/2 gallon per tree. Not sure why the REI for just spraying the base of the trunk/scaffold is the same REI as if I sprayed the entire tree. Seems like the drift from spraying the entire tree would require a longer waiting period. I believe the 4 day REI for Lorsban is the longest time period for anything I spray except for Imidan which is 14 days for the public on a ā€œpick your ownā€ farm.

Are you spraying for both types of borers? To protect the base of trees I use a pint to protect about 50 trees and have for a very long time with very good control.

I believe you are using too much material- I can cover an entire mature peach tree with about a gallon of mix. But I didnā€™t learn spraying from University recs- more like the university of hard knocks.