Improved Mound Layering

Hi guys.
Since there are a lot of people who need rootstocks with certain resistances, and in the United States they don’t sell them to hobbyists.
But what they do sell in nurseries are trees grafted on those “interesting” rootstocks, to give a couple of examples, Colt rootstocks, for cherry trees, and Rootpac-R for stone fruit trees.
So what we are interested in is multiplying the rootstock, obtaining new vigorous plants with powerful roots.
The Mound Layering or Stool Layering system is well known in the United States, but in Spain we strangle with a wire, below the incisions with rooting hormones, and this causes the auxins to concentrate, forming powerful roots very quickly.

I explain the detailed method

corte-y-recalce

We start from a planted pattern.

A- The seedling is beheaded. This is what we will call MOTHER PLANT.

B- Shoots begin to emerge from the plant, when they are more than 30 cm or so, the leaves are removed from the lower part, a couple of notches are made on opposite sides of this part (scratching with a knife), then those that apply rooting hormones. A wire is placed below this wound. The idea is that, when the branch “fattens”, it is strangled concentrating the force in the emission of the roots in the wounds made, it will also facilitate the subsequent work. This part is covered with orchard land.

C- These branches will grow, normally about 10. Next winter we can discover the whole. We will have a lot of patterns with roots that, normally, can even be “broken” by hand precisely because of the wire (if not scissors). The roots will be mostly on opposite sides, which will help the future development of the plant.

D- We can move these seedlings to the ground and, starting in spring, they can be grafted. The mother plant is cleaned of branch remains and the operation is repeated. Normally this type of plants lasts about 10 years. From this age they decay and are replaced by others.

Regards
Jose

12 Likes

Great stuff… Makes total sense to do it this way. I did see a few videos on the general idea but minus the wire ‘strangulation’.

I’m looking forward to trying this next year…unless I can find a tree on soil now somewhere.

Thanks for your time and the information. I hope the nursery that showed ROOTPAC - C as a rootstock for a grafted tree receives the same from their supplier this winter. Can’t order until then anyway…

I know I can find something on Colt then…

If I can at least get the ROOTPAC - C I can till use adara then add cherry…

As a small lot (1/4 acre residential) I’d probably be content with a few multi - grafted trees on an appropriate rootstock for my area.

1 Like

Funny, a couple of hours ago I was just working on a trial OHFx87 bed using this technique. I used plastic cable ties for the girdle but I never used hormone. Also, I grew the rootstock last summer at a 45deg angle and pinned all of the branches down to the ground this spring.

Has anyone had any luck with this girdling technique with pears? I tried hundreds of hardwood cuttings with hormone/bottom heat but had very little success.

1 Like

Hi Bob.
I use this technique to obtain some of my rootstocks.

There are several important things.

• It is not enough to scratch the bark a little at the point of emission of the roots, since it can heal, it is much better to perform a ring (total or partial), as in air layering.

acodo-blava-16-05-15-llorencet04

• In the areas where we have caused the wounds by removing the bark, the powdered hormones are applied with a fine brush.

• Buy quality powdered hormones that contain these two auxins:

• Naphthaleneacetic acid

• Indolebutyric acid

Clonex-type gel rooting agents are used more to root cuttings in rockwool, so powdered hormones are more suitable for this method.

• It is strangled (firm but not tight) with a wire below the cut with hormones, and as the stem thickens, it will strangle itself and concentrate auxins, which will make it emit powerful roots.

It is used for all types of woody crops.

Regards
Jose

6 Likes

@Jose-Albacete

Jose…

I assume the cambium is not removed with the bark when you do your girdle cut?

For a small caliper sprout it’s hard I thing not to take the cambium with the bark when you cut and remove?

Also if this is a dormant tree when you start out, it won’t be slipping yet.

Pardon my ignorance.

1 Like

I recall I have read a book in US that has the same picture or similar picture depict the laying method of propagate plants, especially bush type of plants.

1 Like

What season do you do it with success?

1 Like

Hi Phil and Annie.
They are good questions.

And Phil, there is no such thing as ignorance, only unknowing.

This would be the process:

Suppose Phil is looking for the Rootpac-R rootstock, and Annie is looking Colt cherry rootstock (these are just examples).
Both find fruit trees at a good price in an online nursery , grafted onto the rootstock you are looking for.
You buy a tree each in winter bare root.

When the tree arrives in the middle of winter to your house with bare roots, you put the roots of the tree in a bucket with water so that it hydrates overnight.

You prepare the hole to plant the rootstock, in a corner of the garden where it does not get in the way, since it will be several years old (although it will not grow).

The next day, you will have to locate the grafting point and cut two or three centimeters below the grafting point and seal the cut with healing putty (pruning mastic, melted wax, or chewing gum hahahaha).

Now you each have a decapitated rootstock, which from now on we will call “mother plant”.

You plant the rootstock in the hole, so that the trunk only protrudes from the ground a few centimeters (15 centimeters more or less).

tread the earth well to prevent air from entering the roots, and apply a good watering, and after two or three days another good watering.

All this process is taking place in winter, when you receive the tree, and you will take care of it as if it were a fruit tree.

Spring will arrive, and the rootstock will emit its first shoots.

As it is very young and has been planted for a short time and is not yet vigorous, it is normal for it to emit two or three shoots, as the years go by it emits more and more regrowth each year.

It’s already spring and the shoots are growing (don’t be hasty), let them reach at least 20-25 centimeters high, and then we will proceed to make the layering (probably this will happen at the end of April, mid-May).

When the shoots are 20-25 centimeters high, you remove the lowest leaves of the stems, to promote apical growth and proceed to make the layering, that is, the cuts in the bark for the emission of roots.

Cuts in the bark will be made very close to the ground (as close to the ground as possible).

You will make two good wounds one in front of the other, eliminating a portion of the cambium, so that the wounds do not heal and emit roots.

I put an image of a air layering with a partial debarking.

acodo_aereo3 (1)

You have to do the same, but since you will make two incisions one in front of the other, it is not necessary for the peeling to be as large as the one in the photo, but it is necessary to remove a portion of the cambium on each side.

Spray a little water on the cuts, so that the powdered hormones adhere well to the cuts made, and apply the powdered hormones with a small brush.

strangle with the wire as in the photo, below the incisions

So that the wire is firm, but not strangle (the scions will strangle on their own as they get fatter).
At this point , the auxins of the plant are concentrated favoring the emission of powerful roots.

Now you cover the scions with land of the orchard ( well covered with land , forming a mound ) , step on the soil and water .

From here, you have to look at the mounds from time to time, so that they always have some moisture.

The shoots will grow, and when they get bigger, you will pile up more land making the mound bigger and always keep the mound moist.

When winter arrives (February), you will remove the earth, the scions will have emitted roots, you cut them below the root (it is possible that you can break them without scissors due to the strangulation of the wire), and you plant them in the orchard in the suitable place to be grafted in spring.

It’s that easy.

If you have doubts, please ask me.

Regards
Jose

P.S.: Sorry for the bad English, but I was in a hurry and Google translate is quite a scoundrel.

5 Likes

@Jose-Albacete

Great and easy to understand description José and thanks again.

“remove a portion of the cambium” makes more sense. I was just a bit thrown by the photo with the wire tourniquet as it looks more like the limb has been girdled or cut all the way around, which of course would kill the stem perhaps before the roots could form.

Just removing enough for the branch to react by rooting at the damaged cut makes sense.

Only thing I will add is, at least for me in south Louisiana, the tree should arrive dormant but it will already be growing season here. Nurseries for fruit trees aren’t geared to ship as early as the spring we get here…

Not that it changes what I will do unless it affects how the newly cut rootstock buds out as I know it takes a little while for the tree to push preventitious buds as the rootstock will not have any adventitious buds.

Thanks.

1 Like

This person propogated his in a container and used sawdust as the medium in the stem rooting area.

Adding the stem cuts and hormone should make it more reliable for rooting.

2 Likes

Phil, two things.

First:

• If when you cut the bark “the cambium” , you eliminate a total ring, but you do not cover the wound with land, “THE STEM DIES”.
    If you remove the bark removing the ring completely and cover with damp earth , " THE STEM EMITS ROOTS AND DOES NOT DIE " .

For the air layering , the bark of a ring is completely removed.

I have told you to do a partial removal of the bark so that you are calmer, but if you remove it completely, nothing happens.

Second :

• The guy in the video is multiplying by rooting , apple rootstock cuttings (it’s the easiest to root), if you put an apple rootstock cutting in your ass it will take root hahahahaha.

Prunus cuttings can be rooting , but you must have some knowledge.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

We are air-laying what will become a stool next year. Never heard of the term mounding before, always stooling but I don’t get out much either.

1 Like

I literally laughed out loud!

That was funny.

OK I get it… The bark separates and leaves the cambium against the wood.

Please understand this was my first year grafting…and for the trees I was working with at the time I was working them, it was almost impossible to separate the wood without the cambium going with it.

I need practice… And on such a small newly sprouted stem as this propagation will produce, I’m sure I’ll make a few mistakes.

:+1::grin:

2 Likes

Update on Pear OHxF87 rootstock: this technique does not work at all. I got some calous material and a few stubby roots. The commercial companies use micro propagation or hardwood cuttings, but I’ve yet to produce consistent results as with my plum cuttings.

For most apple rootstocks the extra work described here about girdling, etc is not required as they easily root into sawdust beds.

2 Likes

Bob, what you mention is quite strange, since the rootstock Farold 87 Daytor (OHxF87), after all, is a pyrus, and pyrus multiply perfectly well using the mound layering system.
Have you done good rings in the cambium and applied hormones to them?
The normal thing is that they emit roots without problems, like all pyrus.

Regards
Jose