Incompatible grafts

Sometimes you get a few grafts that are not compatible with the rootstock. Easy come easy go. Only had a few like this. I have others of the same types of apples that took on other trees. How are your grafts doing? Got a lot of grafts that put on to much growth with the rain and were snapping off so I had to prune them today to 20% their size while the graft heals properly.

2 Likes

I have an apple I grafted onto hawthorn this spring. I really expected it to have problems and fail but so far it’s still growing strong. Does incompatibility in grafts always show up the first year?

2 Likes

No the grafts don’t fail always right away. The grafts can sometimes last several years. Sounds like a fun project working with Hawthorn!

For sure it’s an interesting experiment! I had read that apple and hawthorn could be grafted together, but didn’t really believe it. I stuck a cleft graft on one of the branches this spring just to see if it worked. If it looks OK maybe next year I will cut down the whole tree and bark graft to the stump.

1 Like

I had a donut peach graft fail when grafted to my apricot… That has been the only one so far. I think one needs to wait a few years just in case. Sometimes i think this stuff doesn’t show up right away.

2 Likes

Just as an update, I went to check on the hawthorn today and all the apple scions had shriveled up and died. They all callused well and grew a few inches before failing, so I think it’s truly incompatibility and not that the graft didn’t take.

The good news is that I also did a couple grafts of Sekel pear and they are doing well, so I may get some use out of this tree yet!

3 Likes

I have a peach growing on pluot…all looks good. The pluot is on apricot.

1 Like