Indiana Berry Pawpaws

If you’re curious what their stock looks like, it’s small. Very small. Hoping the things bud out. Came with nice stakes and tube things. They’re a little over a foot tall from the soil. Looks like I have a long wait ahead of me.

!

4 Likes

They do look tiny, but I don’t know what “normal” paw paw starts look like. Good luck with them, those sound like good varieties to try.

Regarding IB, their cane berries I’ve ordered from them usually have great roots, but the two gooseberry “plants” I got from them were little thorny twigs with barely any roots on them. One didn’t make it the first year, and the other plant is still the smallest of my three GB’s.

1 Like

Unless you order “2 yr old” or “3 year old” this is what I would have expected.

1 Like

It might be a good thing if the roots were plentiful because smaller plants establish quicker & pawpaws are sort of notorious as being difficult to establish from a container. I would’ve liked to have seen a taller mini tree pot but maybe they know when it’s the right time for that container to be ready for planting. Overall I think they could’ve charged less than 18$ a plant but who’s going to offer at that price to begin with. If I was growing the seedling, the cost of the mini tree pot I would use that’s 10" tall and the potting soil and the time to a plant that size which is 1-year… I’d charge 12$. But then again I’m broke.

Dax

4 Likes

I’ve learned from personal experience that with paw paws as small as those, you need to use some shade cloth or other mechanism for shading them some or all the day for the first year or two.

4 Likes

I was surprised to read on their website they send a kit with each plant to shield from the sun as well as protect from varmints and to coerce the tree to grow upright. That’s a pretty great marketing platform.

Dax

2 Likes

Update? How did they do over the summer?

They survived a Texas summer! Hopefully no issues this coming summer. The one in deeper shade near my Yerba Mate bush did much better. Those suckers cannot take the summer sun for more than a few hours at that size.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks!!