Inexpensive Surround Alternative (dirt cheap)

By cheap i mean crazy cheap. @Bradybb pointed me to this industrial Thrift store RepurposedMaterials.

I just got the email newsletter, and they pride their selves for their customers finding alternative uses for industrial surplus.

Anyway they have Kaolin Clay in there South Carolina warehouse. They have 50 lb bags of Imreys – Hydrite 121-S. Which is Kaolin Clay with a partical size of 1.0 Microns. Surround is Kaolin Clay with a partical size of 1.4 Microns

$5 a bag!!! 264 still in stock. UNUSED Hydrite-Imreys | repurposedMATERIALS (repurposedmaterialsinc.com)

9 Likes

For native English speakers, “cheap” is a derogatory word. I believe you meant “inexpensive”.

1 Like

So it’s Presumably better than Surround?

What’s the catch?

Presumably, the makers of surround say the particles must be smaller then 1.4 microns to be effective. still have to pay for shipping if your not in south carolina. But if you want to pay shipping once and drive to a fourm member that migjt work too. @disc4tw

1 Like

I think the small particle size has more to do with minimizing light blocking than any difference in effect on bugs, but Im not positive about that. I think clay particles are quite consistent in their structure. Great find. Repurposed industrial supplies, eh? Right up my alley. Will have to check em out.

3 Likes

or if youre in central Georgia, just stop by the quarry, kaolin rd in Sandersville!

1 Like

Buying stone from the quarry costs 50% less than the landscaping supply place by me. Definitely the route to take when possible.

1 Like

If I didn’t already have a garbage can full of surround I’d be all over this.

2 Likes

looks like a good place to find some traction mats too. Not sure how this stuff compares to the mine belting you were talking about @disc4tw . Urethane is usually high durometer. Wouldn’t want to have to cut it! https://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/specialty-belting/urethane-conveyor-87-x-40-x-1-4/

Looks like they have the kind I’m familiar with behind it in some of the photos. It’s definitely worth asking about. I’ve browsed their offerings over the years for various projects but never ended up getting anything. It’s like industrial Craigslist.

1 Like

NovaSource Surround® WP Crop Protectant - Organic Growers Supply (fedcoseeds.com)
Fedco specificly states that partial sices need to be smaller then 1.4 to form the barrier from insects with out effecting plant health.

yeah, i think the ultra fine particle size lets the plant still mostly photosynthesize

Unless you live within driving distance forget it! The price is great. I took a swat at the offer, they called me back to see if I would pay $85 to ship it here! So I cancelled my order. At least they are an honorable company and returned my funds back to my credit card.

I have tried several times to get Tractor Supply or Ace Hardware to obtain the rights to sell Surround, but have had no success getting either interested. If there is a member here who has connections or influence in either of these nationwide companys perhaps you could tell us how to get them to add it as a product. That would bring the real Surround to a town near each of us without excessive shipping cost since these company’s already have trucks on the road daily!
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

Its a 50lb bag @ $90 Fedco sells $25lb bags for $90 and $30 shipping. Thats over a 65% savings. How many would the ship you for $85? If they shippng cost is flat for a number of units this is still an insane deal.

1 Like

I’m going to weigh in on the word ‘cheap’. I am a native born English speaker. perhaps there are regional differences but here in the Midwest we commonly say something is ‘real cheap’, meaning inexpensive. Often, words have more than one meaning.

2 Likes

If there were more than one grower here who wants it, then it might be worth doing, but I’m still using a 50 lb bag I bought 2 years ago. So one bag is all I would buy at any price.
Dennis

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t know.

One guy in my regional fruit growing club sprays his trees for insect pests with a solution made from shavings of Fells Naptha Soap. A friend suggested using a calcium chloride spray made from sidewalk clearing pellets for fruit thinning.

My inclination is to spend the money for “the right thing” that has an EPA label on listed pests and application rates.

The EPA is your friend, not some Big Bad Government Agency that is trying to make you serve hard time in Federal prison.

That said, I was looking for a replacement for the Acetamiprid neonicitinoid agent in Ortho Flower Fruit and Vegetable Insect Killer Concentrate. Assail 30G in the 64 ounce jug I calculated from the label, which for “commercial and farm” use is labeled for a much higher rate than the Ortho product you can no longer get, is for me a 12-year supply and cost well over 200 dollars.

I saw that Acetamiprid was available in a smaller quantity for less money is a liquid form, and when I asked my Extension person, he told me, “check if it is labeled for the crop and the pests you want to control”, and sure shootin’ this alternative product was labeled for termite control instead. I asked “isn’t it the same active ingredient” and the reply was "it might have different inert ingredients along with adjuvants (fancy word for “enhancers”) .

The deal is that is something doesn’t have your fruit tree and your insect pest of concern on the label, the formulation in question, even if it has an EPA label, hasn’t been tested for what you want to use it for.

If it is one thing to put a poison on a food crop that the EPA has vouched is safe, but is a person going to put termite poison on their food, even if it has the same chemical for the active ingredient? As to why do you put poison on your food when you could go organic, many organic-certified bug killers are potent poisons that come from natural sources.

OK, you are putting dirt on your fruit, dirt splashes up when it rains, you wash your fruit off before you eat it. Still, I am thinking of sticking to what has an EPA label for the intended use.

By the way, Assail 30G 64 oz has come down to just below $200, probaby because it has a generic competitor ArVida 30G 64 oz that sells for just below $150. ArVida is labeled for the same crops, pests and application rates as Assail, but check the label to make sure for your application.

2 Likes