Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Looks like early fb to me. Only way to know would be to leave it. I would just remove it

Thanks, yeah I did… Have seen lots of photos of it here and other places, certainly looked suspicious. Just have not ever dealt with it personally and wanted to make sure others agreed. Again, thanks.

Apple this time, perhaps 300’ away from the pear that appeared to have a fireblight strike. Ugh…

That is probably from oriental fruit moth (worms in the peaches). Some of the tips look bent over and that is also probably OFM - they drill into the shoot tips. The bubbly things are definitely peach leaf curl.

It looks like they are going to need to be doing some sprays if they are going to get any good peaches.

Thank you. Any recommendation for the fruit moth? I think I’ve read the peach leaf curl Might as wait until end of season to spray.

Look at the spray schedules in the guides section … probably too late for this year for these peaches but you can control things better next year.

2 Likes

I wonder if someone can help me with a problem where a large part of my squash vine suddenly stopped flourishing and wilted, and upon closer inspection, at the base of the stem the healthy light green herbaceous stem has turned into a white, rockhard, woody/sclerotic material that looks like it no longer has any fluid or sap in it. And it just snapped in half. So it looks likeSome disease process damaged the stem hardening it and preventing nutrients and water from flowing. The specific Cultivar of squash is tromboncino, Which I selected because they say it’s supposed to be resistant to squash bugs that bore inside of the stems.

These are very cute so I’m going to share some dill with them :smiley:

6 Likes

Swallowtail babies! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: They will decimate the dill.

Cucumber beetle should be the first culprit to consider in any squash or melon plant demise. I don’t grow any such things any more due to those pests. They carry a disease called bacterial wilt which does in the plants.

Many of my squash stems look like that eventually. I would still look for vine borer by slicing the stem lengthwise.

1 Like

If only Oriental fruit moths looked so beautiful I wouldn’t mind them eating my fruits as much.

2 Likes

What does this look like, perhaps thrip larvae or something different?

I would guess a leafhopper nymph.

3 Likes

Too fat for thrip; leafhopper nymph is a good guess. If leafhopper, will scuttle to opposite leaf side when disturbed, and if old enough, will hop.

1 Like

I Touched it was sitting in the middle of leaf in the middle vein area, it after touching ran to the bottom of the leaf to the other side, stayed there for like 5 seconds and came back to exact original spot
I added an ultra fine net around that tree, so now they are trapped there forever, not necessarily a good thing

Leafhopper nymphs will deform new leaves. They are, for an insect, oddly confident on leaves, and can be readily squished.

2 Likes

Killed one but it’s not like I did anything, there are a bunch more, as long as they don’t have diseases within them I am ok them staying, just no new ones

So all leafhopper nymphs have that toxin? I thought it was just Potato Leafhoppers? Maybe some plants respond differently depending on the species?

DC: I do not know about leafhopper toxins. Any plant-sucking insect will deform plant leaves just by the physical damage that disrupts water flow through leaf veins, causing stunts or deformities, or via simple chew-holes.

1 Like