Insect and Disease Identification Thread

It looks like the base might have taken some damage? Hard to tell exactly.

Your brother might want to grow the tree back from the base, let that sprout grow (assuming it is above the graft). If it’s sprouting below the graft it could be a delayed graft incompatibility.

Whatever is going on the tree is not doing well at all, probably one side of the trunk is dead.

1 Like

The little branch you can prune out completely, but the left front branch also has a knot forming on it it looks like (the tan wood). That branch is a bit thin to do the torch on it, the torch only works on larger limbs as you can fry the whole limb if not careful. I would probably cut out the knot on that one and then give it a very light torching to make sure it all was excised.

1 Like

Thanks again for the great advice!

Hi All,

I’m hoping someone can help identify this leaf chance I’ve been noticing one a few of my black currants. I think its some kinda viral infection as it appears to be spreading from bush to bush. Noticed it on only one bush last year, and on 3 currently. Only on the currants, haven’t spotted on an gooseberries or crandalls. The bushes look otherwise healthy and putting on decent growth. The one that had it last year looked pretty haggard in the fall, but healthy and with good growth this spring.

Any thoughts on what it could be and how dangerous?

2 Likes

Maybe check the underside of leaves for Aphids.Do any have a blistered appearance?

yep, I checked - no aphids, eggs or cocoons of any sort to suggest insects.

We used a blow torch . . . and I could not believe it, but it worked very well. The tree looked horrid for a year or so, but it healed and no more canker. My husband loves his blow torch. I need to control him once he gets started or everything gets ‘the treatment’! :joy:

6 Likes

I have a black currant that looks like this too. I bought it this year, I saw some webs so I thought it was some type of bug causing it. Going to spray some oil tonight or tomorrow night to see if it helps

The aphid is in the hemiptera family but why is it considered a pollinator?

Aphids are not considered pollinators.
Some Hemiptera are pollinators.

1 Like

Might be a mosaic virus. Those are often spread by mites.

Does this look like Leaf Miners on this Gold Nugget Mandarin or maybe something fungal?

Anyone know what this little guy is on my pawpaw tree?

It’s to the right of the flower bud.

Another lighter colored one…

2 Likes

Some sort of scale insect. I’m not familiar with the different species of scale, so I can’t help much with exact identification.

Pawpaws do get scale insects sometimes. Never seen very many on one, so I doubt they are typically much of a problem. I just found one on one of my pawpaw trees yesterday.

1 Like

It does look like a scale. Don’t let it populate

1 Like

Just whacked them both. Thank you!

@TJ_westPA I’m more worried for the other less resilient members of my yard! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For sure. Scales can easily go unnoticed when small and multiply quickly so best to take them off when you see them. They are definitely more problematic on some plants than others. Also can become a problem if overwintering plants indoors or in a garage since their population can go unchecked and multiply, which is when horticultural/dormant oil spray is useful as a preventative.

2 Likes

I searched for this image online, but couldn’t find anything similar. It is a very large what appears to be a 2 inch or more in size beetle. I first noticed them a couple of days ago when one flew right into my chest. Sorry this isn’t a very good picture, but this thing is currently perched fairly high on my Shiro plum tree and it was hard to get a good shot.

Is it a beneficial, or a big nasty critter?

Looks like this:

Not good:

3 Likes

Ouch, thanks for the quick response. It looks like a big nasty, but appearances can sometimes be deceiving. Time to get to sqarshing that ugly looking critter. Hope it’s still where I can get at it.