Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Does anyone know what this is on my northern high bush blueberry? It an earliblue variety and supposedly not effected by blueberry rust. I have 8 other plants and none are so far effected. If anyone knows what this is what treatment should I be doing? It’s currently close to ripening a lot of berries.

That does look like Rust.Maybe try spraying with micronized Sulfur or Copper.

One of the praying mantis ooths I’m hatching this year to help with insect control.

8 Likes

Hopefully I have correctly identified these?

They are regularly visible on new growth Blackberry canes. If I catch them with my bare hands those pointy parts are almost like a brier or even a minor bee sting. Reading about them they don’t sound overly destructive or bad so I’ll probably just leave them be.

Heard this thing fly over my head, would have guessed it to be someone flying a drone at first :slight_smile: Wish I had measured it, seemed larger than the 1.8 in noted in the Wikipedia article.

8 Likes

Could be a Buffalo Treehopper

^ note the 10 Genera and dozens of species of “Buffalo Treehoppers”.
Some look very similar.

Eyed Elater, yes.

2 Likes

mine hatched today.

10 Likes

That’s a great visual. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

spiderfriends, but what kind?

Spotted on apple tree. What is it?

7 Likes

Lady bug nymph, your good friend.

12 Likes

I’m trying to lure more of them and lacewings into my orchard now. Aphids are hitting me hard even after two rounds of insecticidal soap.

They are ferocious eaters of aphids, love seeing these on my trees. Larvae can eat hundreds.

4 Likes

resonanteye: Hatchlings of an orb-weaver spider that you would commonly see in your yard. Picturing or identifying an adult would ID the hatchlings.

1 Like

ukie: It looks like the larva of an Asian Lady Beetle, Harmonia axyridis.

1 Like

Raintree wouldn’t really admit to having sent me a diseased tree, but they recommended disposing of the tree and they are giving me store credit. After using this store credit not for plants, I will not buy from them again. I note their website does NOT guarantee virus-free. That means many of their plants will be subject to issues, such as raspberries. I’m terribly disappointed as I’ve had success with them in the past; now I’ve not only lost a tree, but the growing season. I will also note that their tone was, hmm, a bit snarky? Superior? I understand their need to confirm the growing conditions were not the problem, but the verbiage wasn’t conducive to good customer relations.

So, what the heck are these tiny things? Young tent caterpillars? Will an application of surround/spinosad work (I should probably do that anyway…)?

Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) is more targeted for caterpillars.

2 Likes

Is this fire blight or something else? Seeing it on a young apple tree.
image3

Really wonder why I keep seeing these springtails hanging out around the top of the avocado canopy in the greenhouse. They seemed to be eating pollen a couple months ago when the trees were flowering, but now they just seem to be hanging around doing nothing. Not even basking, mostly find them on the bottom sides of leaves.

3 Likes

The spring tail heard there was a party and is looking for the guacamole.

1 Like