Insect and Disease Identification Thread

Neat, thanks!

1 Like

Ok I found this little snake under a large paver just now. Should I release him in the wood or keep him in the yard? I do have a dog but he didn’t seem aggressive. He’s in a little date container now. Anyone know what kind it is it seems google wasn’t very friendly to me with identifying.

3 Likes

The pattern looks like a Common Sharp-tailed Snake,Contia tenuis.He might like to be left alone in the woods.

2 Likes

Thanks appreciate Brad. He looks just like that one.

Assuming these are the bad grubs? Just moved a raised bed and found these underneath the weed fabric. Strange I didn’t find to many around when putting in the trees and wonder how they all got under the 3’x6’ rained bed? Best recommendation for getting rid of them? I have heavy clay soil. Milky spores?

great fish bait!

2 Likes

Sure miss fishing. We used to have great fishing on the West Coast.

2 Likes

I would put down Milky Spore asap. It takes a couple of years to start working but then its by by grubs!

2 Likes

same here. now the best fishing is for invasive fish. muskie, smallmouth and white/ yellow perch are pretty prevalent now. used to be a great trout and salmon fishery.

2 Likes

That was my first thought but reading into the milky spores it only works for Japanese Beetles. Can you tell the difference between the larva? I put them out on a fence for the birds to eat but maybe I should get a few and put them in a jar to see what they end up being? I’m not positive if these are Japanese or June Beetles? But I know we have both around here unfortunately.

You will have to look closely at their hairy butts to identify them.
Identification of White Grubs in Turfgrass | Ohioline
Control may vary with species?

2 Likes

That’s excellent thanks

1 Like

New ambush spider that I spotted waiting near the top of a greenhouse avocado tree, had to poke it with a stick to get it to pose on a leaf like this, before that it was flattened against the stem, trying to blend in.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s an adult male Philodromus dispar, thanks google lens:

Yes, an introduced West Coast spider (from Europe).
No common name except for the entire family: running crab spider
I was not finding anything under “ambush spider”.

1 Like

I just was referring to the hunting strategy that it was using, had no idea what to call it! It’s described this way on Wikipedia:

The spider is about 5mm long; it feeds on flies and other insects. It does not build a web, but hunts its prey by remaining stationary in ambush and awaiting prey to come near it.

Anyone know what this is? Should I let it live or get rid of it?

Found it on my mission fig.

Edit:
Also found these grubs in the soil as I’m repotting the fig. This seems excessive?

1 Like

I have no idea, but Google lens thinks it’s this:

If that’s correct, then it’s probably not bothering your fig, but likely wandered over from a nearby eucalyptus or gum tree:

2 Likes

Thank you! That makes sense. We have a “giant” eucalyptus near by.

Ugh, looks like a type of stinkbug. I’d get rid of it.

1 Like