Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Welcome Dan always good to have another local(ish) fruit conniseur, lots of great info/people on this forum! May also be interested in swapping some scions with you come spring if your interested

2 Likes

Moved to new thread . . .

5 Likes

Hi Karen,
This thread is very long. We would like to keep its content to be about new member introduction as much as possible.

While I like the point you raised regarding interesting and amusing handle names, would it be possible for you to create a new thread in Lounge and transfer the content to it. I am sure your will get several responses to your new thread. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking in this forum for couple months. I started growing fruit tree in my garden last springs. Currently growing citrus and avocado in my yard since I’m in San Diego. Looking forward to contribute to this forum.

-James

9 Likes

Welcome! There are a good number of us from San Diego on the board. SD is a wonderful place to grow fruit, including many of the semi-tropical varieties. Are you coastal or inland? I’m in PQ, so sort of right on the border of both.

1 Like

Hello All,
Great to know about this group and happy to join, learn and share.
Living in San Diego. Started growing fruit trees 8 years back in my backyard.
I have few fruit trees (Guava, Fig, Apple, Persimmon, Lemon/Lime, Pomegranate, Tangerine) which responded well and still learning.

After numerous tried, few months I had success with grafting hibiscus!
Looking forward to learn and contribute in this forum.

5 Likes

I’m in the serra mesa / mission valley area So it is in between coastal and inland.

2 Likes

Just found this community and looking forward to learning from all of you. I’m located southwest of Portland, OR and recently moved onto 3 acres in the country.
I have zero experience with growing fruit of any kind before so i am looking forward to this new experience. I’m planning on starting a small ~20 tree orchard this winter.
Plan on keeping things small as variety and successive ripening is more important than quantity. Now if the rain would stop already…

15 Likes

Welcome Rick!

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

Welcome, Rick.

You are fortunate to live in the state that has several reputable on line nurseries. We have a few forum members from OR, too. I just can’t remember the name. Hopefully, those with better memory will let you know.

1 Like

@murky, @bear_with_me, @seedy are in the general Portland area

1 Like

Rick, welcome. Check out the Home Orchard Society, we have a fruit propagation fair in Canby in March.

https://www.homeorchardsociety.org/events/?pno=2

1 Like

Welcome to our forum! What you did is my dream retirement plan; if only the years pass faster :blush:… Which varieties are you planting this year?

Thank you for letting me know about the fair - I’ll try and check this out.

Don’t worry - time seems to accelerate the more it goes by.

I have in mind to plant Apples, Cherries, Plums, and Pears. May do a few of the Plum/Cherry/Apricot hybrids. Wish nectarines, peaches and apricots did well here.

1 Like

Apricots have a hard time too, harder than curl resistant peaches.

Thank goodness I lucked upon this forum! FB was proving inadequate for specialized and abundant knowledge for growing my fav fruits - jujubes, persimmons, citrus, figs and now stone fruits. I’ve ordered too many trees for spring, so we’ll see how many I can fit in ground (North TX 8A).

7 Likes

Howdy, I’m near Philomath, OR. Like Murky says, the Home Orchard Society is cool. Don’t need to wait for the Fair either. They have all sorts of events and it’s good to be a member, regardless.

2 Likes

Welcome Ellen! I’m in Athens, Tx. Are you close?

Facebook just can’t match what you get here. It’s nice but the camaraderie here is much better and the advice is fantastic.

What jujubes, persimmons, figs are you growing?

Katy

2 Likes