Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Thanks. If I ever find hem in the weeds I will let you know.

2 Likes

I think I have done all the things I signed up on this forum for: raising some awareness about health problems from my own experience, and mentioning the tips that I use in my fruit tree planting. I hope I didn’t upset anyone too much while doing so. Thank you very much for being here for anyone who needs help. A special thank to @fruitnut for all the “like” you give to almost everyone. It gave me the courage to post what I thought was needed, but might not go well with someone else perspective. Thank you and best wishes to all of you.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Fruit Forum, Angel @ted_d_bear , @Catydid , @Figtree , Perry @Happy1, @cis4elk , Chris @Chris1, Shannon @SLFarm . . . and anyone else who I missed saying ‘Hi’ to. I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing about what you are growing. - Karen AKA Pomgranny

7 Likes

Glad to find this forum, and to see at least one other member - @HighandDry - is also growing in Reno, Nevada! Would love to exchange scion or budwood.

Currently, the fruits I’m growing are apples, peaches, cherries, black mulberry (my favorite), jujubes, fig, honeyberries, hardy kiwis, passionfruits, goji, some pineapple guava seedlings, grapes, and more. My two plots are still young, mostly trees in third or fourth leaf, but establishing well. Hoping to add chestnuts, che, and pomegranate next year.

Nice finding you all. I’ve already learned some good bits, and look forward to more.

Cheers,
Christoph

14 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome Christoph!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m a 40 year old electrical engineer with wife and 3 kids. Five years ago our family moved from Alberta to the Okanagan valley in B.C. (zone 6a). The 1/2 acre lot we bought already had apple, cherry, nectarine and peach trees, all about 15 years old. We knew nothing about growing fruit.
The nectarine tree died after the 1st year because of severe leaf curl and what looked like many years of peach borers. We’ve since learned how the deal easily with the leaf curl, but the borers are still a struggle for the beloved peach tree. By now the peach tree is 90% girdled, and its demise is near. Panicked that I’ll lose this unknown tree variety forever, I learned how to graft, and I now have a healthy 1-year graft of the unknown variety onto a newly planted 3 year-old O’Henry tree. Perhaps some experts here will help me with identifying the variety in the future. The thing about this tree is that it has a bit of a bipolar personality. It makes some awful sour tasting peaches, some peaches with one side good, other side bad, and also some of the most remarkable fruit I’ve tasted; not only very sweet but also with such full bodied flavor that one needs a vocabulary of a wine connoisseur or espresso snob to describe it. Maybe the inconsistency is because of the almost complete girdling, so I’m excited to see how the fruit on the new grafts will taste on a healthy tree.
Anyway, this peach tree has me obsessed with learning about growing good peaches and I have 4 new trees this year, each with various grafts with the goal of having ripe fruit all summer long.
I’m especially interested in learning about the deficit watering discussed on this forum for sweeter fruit. We have Sandy soil with a typically dry climate during July and August.
Here’s the peaches I have at the moment, with potted trees about to go in the ground, and grafting scions I was able to get at local orchards.
• 1-year Harrow Diamond still in pot, with unknown original peach grafts t-budded this year
• 1-year Frost still in pot, with Redhaven and Redglobe grafts t-budded this year
• 1-year RedGold Nectarine still in pot, with unknown whiteflesh, and Glowingstar grafts t-budded this year
• 1-year Cresthaven still in pot with GloHaven and J.H. Hale grafts t-budded this year
• 3-year O’Henry planted 2 years ago, with Autumn Star, and unknown original peach grafts t-budded last year

I’ve been lurking here for the last couple of months. There are so many nuances to learn, I’m glad to be part of this knowledgeable community.

-Dan

18 Likes

Welcime to the club. I wish you the best if luck.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome Dan! Sounds like you got the bug bad. I understand completely! When you grow a really great peach, it kind of blows your mind because you can’t find anything like it anywhere else.

I suspect that the borer problem may be leading to the extreme variability in fruit quality you are experiencing.

Your sandy soil coupled with adequate fertilizer and good thinning should set you up well for some amazing fruit. Good luck and keep us posted!

2 Likes

Welcome Dan always good to have another local(ish) fruit conniseur, lots of great info/people on this forum! May also be interested in swapping some scions with you come spring if your interested

2 Likes

Moved to new thread . . .

5 Likes

Hi Karen,
This thread is very long. We would like to keep its content to be about new member introduction as much as possible.

While I like the point you raised regarding interesting and amusing handle names, would it be possible for you to create a new thread in Lounge and transfer the content to it. I am sure your will get several responses to your new thread. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Hi All,

I’ve been lurking in this forum for couple months. I started growing fruit tree in my garden last springs. Currently growing citrus and avocado in my yard since I’m in San Diego. Looking forward to contribute to this forum.

-James

9 Likes

Welcome! There are a good number of us from San Diego on the board. SD is a wonderful place to grow fruit, including many of the semi-tropical varieties. Are you coastal or inland? I’m in PQ, so sort of right on the border of both.

1 Like

Hello All,
Great to know about this group and happy to join, learn and share.
Living in San Diego. Started growing fruit trees 8 years back in my backyard.
I have few fruit trees (Guava, Fig, Apple, Persimmon, Lemon/Lime, Pomegranate, Tangerine) which responded well and still learning.

After numerous tried, few months I had success with grafting hibiscus!
Looking forward to learn and contribute in this forum.

5 Likes

I’m in the serra mesa / mission valley area So it is in between coastal and inland.

2 Likes

Just found this community and looking forward to learning from all of you. I’m located southwest of Portland, OR and recently moved onto 3 acres in the country.
I have zero experience with growing fruit of any kind before so i am looking forward to this new experience. I’m planning on starting a small ~20 tree orchard this winter.
Plan on keeping things small as variety and successive ripening is more important than quantity. Now if the rain would stop already…

15 Likes

Welcome Rick!

1 Like

Welcome aboard!