Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Nice to hear from you Angel. If you have the space to grow fruit trees, what do you have to loose.

2 Likes

Grafting doesnā€™t take much time; just read a bit, get together a few tools and tape (freezer works, but I like 1/2" parafilm best), locate scions in winter & have at it. Itā€™s changed my perspective on lots of things.

1 Like

Keep a journal or keep notes somewhere. With that kind of start youā€™ll learn faster and maybe avoid making the same mistake twice. Have fun while you eat well!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Iā€™m glad I found this forum! Used to go to GW, then houzz (meh).
I have a very small yard z6, in which I plant my summer veggies (mostly in grow bags and vertically). I have a few fig trees (2 inground, one container). I lost my 15 yr old fig tree a few years agoā€¦complete die back, heartbreaking, since I started this from a cutting I buried, then dug up in the Spring.
Now Iā€™m expanding into my next favorite Fall fruit, persimmons! I just bought 2 grafts, an ichi and a fuyu.
So, new to most fruits. I Hope to learn how I can maximize my small space by growing fruits in containers.
Thanks

14 Likes

@Figtree, welcome!

Hi Andrew! A former ā€˜lurkerā€™. I like that! I think we all started that way - except the ā€˜originalsā€™. Welcome. And your girls are darling. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Welcome @Figtree :smiley:

I love your post! What an adventure . . . and so much of it already established and waiting to be discovered on the property you purchased! Very cool.

1 Like

Iā€™m delighted to discover such a vibrant community exploring a topic as fascinating as fruit. Already your insights on varieties and cultivation are influencing the plans for my yard. Thank you each for sharing so much!

My husband and I are in pre-tirement, getting ready to retire in a few years. We just moved to Battle Ground, WA from Phoenix, AZ to be nearer grandchildren and to search for a few acres to retire on.

The new place in BG has a small yard, but I intend to grow fruit and garden as a warm up for the bigger place later. To that end, I just ordered a Liberty apple tree from Rolling River Nursery and may soon visit Raintree Nursery to secure a Bavayā€™s Green Gage plum tree. The fun begins!

8 Likes

Welcome aboard.

We have several members from WA. You may want to hear from them what grow well in your area before spending your money on fruit trees.

Iā€™ve heard WA is one of a better place to grow fruit trees.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

Welcome Catydid!

2 Likes

Hey Catydid,
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest! You are in a great fruit growing area. We have a few members here who are also in SW Washington area. The Home Orchard Society @ www.homeorchard society.org is an excellent fruit growing resource near Portland. Although I live much closer to Seattle, I am also a member of this club.

2 Likes

Welcome! Youā€™ll love it here. Its also a little funny that we now have a @Catydid and a Katie_didnā€™t (@Katie_didnt_Z4b). Next we may get a Katy_might_have ā€¦ ha

9 Likes

Nice, so youā€™re saying there could be a theme going here.

3 Likes

Welcome, fellow Caty. Whether you did, or did not. :wink:

Iā€™ve learned so much here, I canā€™t say enough nice things about the forum. Glad you have joined us. :grinning:

5 Likes

Thank you! And thank you to each of you for the warm welcome. Thank you especially to Scott for hosting such a resource rich community.

6 Likes

Hey Sharon, itā€™s Scott. Glad you found the siteā€¦

How are your pawpaws doing?

The grafts I mentioned doing did well. I got at least 1 of each variety to take.

Scott

1 Like

Glad yours are doing well. Iā€™m pretty sure mine are dead. There was so much rain this spring that the area where we wanted to plant was underwater. So we heeled them in in another spot which, because of the rain, we couldnā€™t mow around. The grass is so tall right now that I canā€™t find them. So they are either really well protected or they are dead in the weeds.

Shannon

1 Like

If so, let me knowā€¦ Iā€™ve got 2-3 seedlings that have popped up in my yard and will likely be getting the shovel anyway. I can also hook you up with seed this fall as well.

Scott

1 Like