Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Thanks! I’m north of you, on Lookout mountain near Fort Payne.

2 Likes

You are lucky to have a great grandpa. Enjoy growing fruit and plants.

3 Likes

Hello,my name is Perry. I am a newcommer to this site. I am a life-long resident of Ohio of 56 years. I became interested in growing fruits about 8 years ago. Two main reasons, its fresher than store bought and i enjoy baking and jam making. I have currants,gooseberries, elderberries,jostaberries,lingonberries,honeyberries,and grape vines. I also have peach,plum,apricot,apple, and pear trees. My newest venture is hickory,pecan,and hecan trees. I would like to thank Scott for starting this website. I have enjoyed reading and hearing everyones story. Its hard to find people who share the same interests.

18 Likes

Exactly!

4 Likes

Here we are!

1 Like

Welcome Perry!

1 Like

Welcome Perry. I’m in Ohio as well. LOTS of great people and helpful information here.

Thanks forthe welcomes all.

Thanks, good to know. I have had good luck with all my fruits except my Chicago fig trees. I lost two in two years.

Figs do not do well in Ohio. They usually get frozen out before they fruit ripens. My next door neighbor tried for years to get fruit from her fig trees without success. Once she had those results I never bothered with trying to grow them.

According to everything i’ve read, the Chicago fig tree is supposed to live up to -10degrees. I don’t think i will attemt to grow any more fig trees.

We tend to get some weeks of below that -10 degree temperature. It is a gamble , IMO, to try something in that temp range. I always try and go a zone below what is suggested for here. If there is a variety available. I usually go to a zone 5 or lower if possible. That seems to work out most of the time for me.

1 Like

Great advice MikeC.

MikeC are you growing any peach trees in Ohio? If so, have they done well for you?

I like your bed sheet sugestion. I have a 5yr old cresthaven peach tree. It has been a hit and miss for productivity. In 2017 50 peaches, 2018 15 peaches. This year seams to be promissing. I also have a 2yr old June gold peach tree. It had about 10 blossoms.

Hi @Happy1 and @MikeC,
I don’t mean to be rude. However, could we please keep this thread mainly for the introduction purpose?

Please consider posting your fruit questions on other threads. Please feel free to create new thread or post on old thread that are relevant to your fruit problems. Thank you.

2 Likes

Welcome Rob, it’s nice to hear from a brother in Christ. I wish you the best of luck in your gardening.

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Angel. I’m in Eastern NC. I ran across this forum today while googling. I have never been successful at growing anything, but we bought 10 acres and I had the bright(maybe not) idea to start an orchard. I don’t even know if I will be able to succeed. There is no other fruit orchard, within 100 miles from me, I assume because of the climate. I’m up to about 60 trees, mostly apple. Some peach, pear, and cherry.
I have no idea what I’m doing, but am reading anything and everything, so I can learn all about growing fruit trees and maybe start grafting as well. Thank you for having this forum.

13 Likes

Welcome aboard, there is lots of information here and people with answers.

2 Likes

Welcome Angel. When it comes to learning, this is the best place I have been able to find.

2 Likes