Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Welcome Charles, you will love it here. Lots of infos on fruit trees to absorb.

Tony

1 Like

Hi, Charles. Welcome to the community! It’s a place where you can learn something new every day. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

1 Like

Yeah!!! You found us welcome!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I found the website about two months ago shortly after knee surgery. I live in south central Washington state, zone 7a (the dry side of the state, about 8 inches of rain per year). My patient wife, and our two young daughters live on a little over an acre of land. I currently have about 20 apple trees, several peaches, and cherries, plus a large garden.

2 Likes

Welcome Chris. You certainly have a location that allows you to convert anything you learn here into amazing fruit.

Welcome aboard Chris. I think you’ll find a wealth of information here to optimize the production of your orchard.

Feel free to Stop by the thread below to add you general location to our interactive map

Welcome Christ. You have found a great place to hang out. Bill

@ChrisL

Welcome and…

… be fruitful and multiply (the pleasure of eating what you grew, at least)

Mike

Rydnek and ChrisL,

Although I am late to the party, I’d like to welcome you to the forum. Glad to find us and hope you stay.

@rydnek : Hi Charles. Just wanted to say hello and welcome, especially since you are from Tennessee! I’m north of Nashville myself, and there is another one here from the Mcminnville area (sort of) named @RobThomas . Be sure to put yourself on the map so we’ll have some company! http://www.growingfruit.org/t/general-location-map-of-growingfruit-org-members/4332

Anyway, this is a great site with lots to offer so I hope we will see you around.
Kevin

Quick intro-

I found the forum while searching for some information on Jujube trees…

The community and responses drew me in so I decided to join.

I’m located in Vegas, actually Henderson and I recently purchased a home on an care with a few fruit trees.

This year I went from a few to many, basically an orchard, we have pomegranate, pluot, peach, almond, apricot, fig, kiwi, muscadine grapes, kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, pear, and now jujube…

I’m looking forward to learning more from the community and share any knowledge I may have.

6 Likes

Welcome, Vegas. It looks like you have some good eating ahead of you!

Vegas,

Welcome to GF. I am glad you found Us.

Tony

Welcome! Its such a clever group of people with tons of excellent information. It is how I got my start with fruit trees ten years ago! Great group, welcome!

@VegasZone9

Welcome Vegas and learn what you can and share your experiences with all of us here.

Remember …Not everything that happens in Vegas needs to stay in Vegas.

Mike

Hello everyone. I’ve been kicking around posts here for a couple months now, and thought I’d put in a more formal introduction.

I’m Drew from the Iowa City, IA area. We are in Zone 5a. My wife, son, and live in a house in what passes for the suburbs here which adjoins some park land. My yard is far from the ideal site for tree fruit, as we are in a low spot on the landscape and part of my yard is taken up by a very small spring-fed creek. With the park land with have high pressure from deer and bunnies.

I have mostly focused on apples (10 trees), and all are in either their 2nd or 3rd year right now. I am planning on making cider as mytrees get older. I am starting to collect traditional American and European cider varieties. I have brewed beer before, and am looking forward to the challenge of cider. I also have two hybrid plums and a Redhaven peach.

I have my Ph.D. in environmental engineering and work as a research scientist in this field at a university. I teach students in and manage the day-to-day operations in an environmental/soil chemistry lab. I can tend towards deep-diving on some topics, and really like to see evidence behind methods. So when I can, I will try to chime in where I can offer a resource or two that comes from the freely-available scientific literature or where studies are being done.

So far, I’m trying to manage disease and pests with evidence-based organic methods. I will try it for a while and see what results I get… But I’m not in any way opposed to conventional and modern IPM management strategies.

Thanks everyone for making such an interesting community! I hope to learn a lot here, and hopefully contribute where possible.

5 Likes

Welcome fellow Iowegian. Sorry about your Hawks. Enjoy the forum, great knowledge here. Have you ever been to woody’s orchard E of town?

Welcome @Levers101 and @VegasZone9 . As a relative newbie myself, I should warn you that fruit growing is extremely addictive, especially after you pick your first, delicious piece of fruit that you grew yourself. It tastes sooo much better- both literally and figuratively. You should also know that this website is, bar none, the best resource you will ever have for practical, day-to-day advice. You can get answers to the most basic, elementary questions you may have as a beginner, but if you do have an area of special interest and want to get into a highly specialized area (as @Levers101 mentioned he enjoys) then there are folks here who have that kind of in=-depth knowledge as well. Good luck! Welcome to Growingfruit.org.

1 Like

Do you mean Wilson’s Orchard east of IC? If so, yes. Since we moved back from Chicagoland I have been out there a couple times. Or is there another I am missing?

I also am a big supporter of Buffalo Ridge Orchard (Central City, IA)… They sell apple and veggie CSA shares and are at farmers’ markets in the IC/CR/Dubuque area. Ha, I talked them into doing a 5 lb apple CSA last year, and it looks like they are doing a larger-scale 3 lb share this coming year.

Chug has his ideas.