Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Hello Everyone! I have been browsing here for a good while but never introduced myself. My name is Simon. I’m located in Lancaster County PA. I enjoy growing a large variety of usual & unusual fruits. Some of the fruits I grow are, Blueberries, (both rabbiteye and northern highbush) Currants, Gooseberries, Jostaberies, Honeyberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Mulberries, Goumi, Cornellian Cherry, Hardy Kiwi, Figs, Jujube, PawPaws, Pomegranates, Persimmons, (both American & Japanese) Quince, Apples Peaches, Pears, Plums, Cherries, Nectarines, Grapes, Muscadines, Lemons, Calamondin, & Papaya. The last three we grow in pots. I probably missed a few but that gives you an idea of what we have here.

We ate our first Papaya this summer and it has several more on it now.

Papaya

20 Likes

Welcome Simon, that’s quite the assortment of goodies.

Glad you’ve jumped in, Simon. Welcome aboard. We do have several members inPA and nearby states.

Welcome! Do you grow your muscadines in ground, and if so do you protect them in anyway? I’m a half a zone or so colder than you and have always wanted to grow a muscadine in ground, even if some reasonable protective measures are required. Also, which types of gooseberries do you grow?

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Yes, I have the muscadines in the ground, but they haven’t done well. I gave them some protection the first winter, but I didn’t last winter. I have had a good bit of freeze back, and a couple of the vines died. My hardiest one has been Black Beauty. I spent most of my Life in TN. I grew them there too, but I’m not sure that I will continue it here. It seems like our summers aren’t hot enough and long enough here for them to really prosper. Another problem for me here is the soil type I think. I have them planted in a creek bottom and I think the soil is almost too tight and wet for them.

2 Likes

I have the red gooseberries. Amish Red and Invicta are the varieties I have.

1 Like

Oops! I should have said red and green.

Hi everyone! As an occasional gardenweb poster back in the day I was happy to find this forum! I’m currently trying to plan out what fruit/nut trees and bushes to plant in my new yard - a happy upgrade from container gardening while renting. This site has pretty much every resource I was looking for, and some I didn’t know I needed!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

14 Likes

Welcome! This is the right place

1 Like

Welcome Rose. These are fine people, and they answer questions.

I asked about growing Goldrush in my area and got plenty of compelling experience to weigh in on that. Because of them, I grafted it last year ('17.) Might see blooms on Goldrush this coming season.

2 Likes

I grafted gold rush a couple of years ago on seedling roots, I think it may bloom this spring or next , I am very excited to see what it produces

3 Likes

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I am also new to growing trees. I’m a almost 40 year old from South Florida (zone 10b). Married with kids. I’ve always liked reading and researching everything that has to do with gardening and orchards. Last year, I started putting what I’ve learned to practice (getting better at it). However, just recently I learned about figs and propagating them and so this is where my growing fruit tree obsession began. Still new, still learning but I am loving every minute of it. So, I’m hear to mostly learn as I’m a complete newbie at it all.

14 Likes

You’re in the right place!

1 Like

Lots of friendly people here to help you. I too am just starting with figs.

TFN

1 Like

Welcome!

1 Like

Just joined the Fourm last night so I am looking forward to meeting people with common interest. I have an 30 Acre cattle farm here in southern Middle Tennessee. I am planting an orchard soon to get it established while I build the house. I will be growing southern apples that have disease resistance so I can avoid spraying as much as possible. I will also be adding pears, persimmons, and plums as well. I am also trying my hand at pawpaws in another part of the property. I will be interplanting with nitrogen fixing shrubs like goumi and siberian pea shrub. All this while starting a small cattle operation when I am living full time on the property. The adventure is dead ahead!

19 Likes

Welcome!

[quote=“John_T, post:1028, topic:50”]

(" I am planting an orchard soon to get it established while I build the house.")

Anyone who plants their orchard first ,before building the house , is defiantly welcome here.

So welcome aboard.!

I like your priorities

4 Likes

Welcome, I just joined yesterday

Welcome, John_T

TFN

1 Like