Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Garden Web. Welcome.

Welcome Wayne. I like your goal. My tiny lot is too small to be able to use much of permaculture but I like to incorporate what I can. I do make compost, have a worm bin, use AACT, and plant to draw in and support pollinators. I just added 3 raised beds for vegetables last summer. There are a few others here from AZ.

Hello Everyone! I have been browsing here for a good while but never introduced myself. My name is Simon. I’m located in Lancaster County PA. I enjoy growing a large variety of usual & unusual fruits. Some of the fruits I grow are, Blueberries, (both rabbiteye and northern highbush) Currants, Gooseberries, Jostaberies, Honeyberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Mulberries, Goumi, Cornellian Cherry, Hardy Kiwi, Figs, Jujube, PawPaws, Pomegranates, Persimmons, (both American & Japanese) Quince, Apples Peaches, Pears, Plums, Cherries, Nectarines, Grapes, Muscadines, Lemons, Calamondin, & Papaya. The last three we grow in pots. I probably missed a few but that gives you an idea of what we have here.

We ate our first Papaya this summer and it has several more on it now.

Papaya

Welcome Simon, that’s quite the assortment of goodies.

Glad you’ve jumped in, Simon. Welcome aboard. We do have several members inPA and nearby states.

Welcome! Do you grow your muscadines in ground, and if so do you protect them in anyway? I’m a half a zone or so colder than you and have always wanted to grow a muscadine in ground, even if some reasonable protective measures are required. Also, which types of gooseberries do you grow?

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Yes, I have the muscadines in the ground, but they haven’t done well. I gave them some protection the first winter, but I didn’t last winter. I have had a good bit of freeze back, and a couple of the vines died. My hardiest one has been Black Beauty. I spent most of my Life in TN. I grew them there too, but I’m not sure that I will continue it here. It seems like our summers aren’t hot enough and long enough here for them to really prosper. Another problem for me here is the soil type I think. I have them planted in a creek bottom and I think the soil is almost too tight and wet for them.

I have the red gooseberries. Amish Red and Invicta are the varieties I have.

Oops! I should have said red and green.