Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Just found this from @Olpea:
“Here is the link which Scott used for donations two years ago, but perhaps it might be best for Scott to weigh in to make sure it’s still the right one.”.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=ADR4BJPXPCAV8

so I tossed in $10 on 4-11-19 would gladly give more…hope its still the correct link !!!

1 Like

Here is better

Scott isn’t trying to turn this into a profit making machine, although he probably could if that was his intention. What he does want to do is not lose money on it so he occasionally asks for donations to cover his costs.

Last I heard, he was in the red, but he hasn’t put out a request yet. Maybe he will chime in now.

I’m sure his account will be balanced shortly after posting need.

2 Likes

I will be putting out a call for contributions this summer… my job is less busy so thats when I prefer to do site maintenance stuff. Stay tuned :grin:

7 Likes

Hi everybody. Unkabuzz here. Northern Lower Michigan zone 6a, near Glen Lake, 7 miles from Lake Michigan. Family has been in this area since about 1850. Permaculture farmer and double certified Permaculture designer. We have 3.65 acres, about 1-1/2 acres in production and the rest is hardwoods. Going into our 6th summer here.
Here’s a rough list of what we have growing…
A. Trees- 20 apples, 3 pears, 5 plums, 5 peaches, 1 apricot, 3 cherries, 1 persimmon, 3 mulberry, 43 hazelnut, 4 redbud, 1 pecan, 1 medlar, 14 blue spruce, 7 black locust.
B. Shrubs and bushes- 70 black currant, 20 gooseberry, 10 blueberry, 3 aronia, 3 haskap, 2 seaberry, 2 fig, 1 black bamboo, 2 wisteria, 6 peashrub, 1 sechuan pepper,
C. Vines- 48 grapes, 4 hardy kiwi.
And that doesn’t include enough veggies and flowers for ourselves and the farmers market twice a week.

13 Likes

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!

Hi all. I’ve been lurking this forum for a while and thought it was finally time to join. I’ve learned a lot over the years from all the posters here. I live in southern Wisconsin (zone 5a) on a lot that is around a third of an acre.

Here is a list if currently grown fruits.
Trees - 5 apples, 6 European pears, 4 Asian pears, 2 apricots, 3 plums, 5 peaches, and 3 cherries.
Bushes/brambles/vines etc - red, white, and black currants, gooseberries, honeyberries, bush cherries, table grapes, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

13 Likes

Welcome Benjamin! Several of us lurked for a long time and then decided to confess our addiction and join. Hasn’t been very good therapy for curing the addiction but has definitely been fun with a lot of help thrown in!! Sounds like you’ve got quite a bit of fruit on the go already.

Wow, Badger! That’s a lot of stuff in a third of an acre. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks. It’s weird, I have been lurking so long I feel like I know many people here already.

2 Likes

I keep telling myself I’m done adding things but every year I think of more places to put things. :grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome Benjamin!

Welcome Ben to the forum, like fruit growing, it can be quite addictive. I probably spend more time on this site than anything else.

Your list of trees and plants are impressive considering your lot size. What varieties of tree fruits and berries are you growing? Will you be having a good crop this year, or is it still too early to tell?

Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I put all the things I’m currently growing in my profile. Things are just starting to wake up here so too early to tell but some things look promising. We hit -30f this winter so im waiting to see what is dead especially for the stone fruit.

However generally berries, and apples are always reliable for me. Also its looking like I might get some first time fruit from a few of my pear trees this year.

1 Like

Thanks, you have quite a variety of fruit in your list. Looks like you like you some gooseberries and currants! I didn’t know what gooseberries were until we moved here to my wife’s family farm here in NE Kentucky, and my wife told me about how they grew them when she was younger, so we have 3 plants. Only one’s produced, but they’re still young plants (two years old).

We also planted a lot of raspberries and blackberries over the last couple of years, so hope we get a good crop this year. I’m curious as to what kind of blackberries have done well for you in your climate.

Since I don’t want to derail this introduction thread any more, I’ll just say welcome again. If you’re curious as to what we’re growing, just click on my dog avatar.

Hello Everyone. My name is Brendan, I am 46 married with 2 kids (2 and 4). I used to live in Baltimore MD, I have been to Scotts house once as he was kind enough to show me the orchard. My primary passion is wine making. If you ever pass by 4535 Keswick Road in Baltimore you can see all the Arandell vines I planted.

We left Baltimore in 2018 and moved to Boulder CO, we finally bought a house this month and before I turned the power on I ordered 150 grape vines. I am planting Itasca (to make orange wine; white wine with extended skin contact) and Noiret which is a risky red for this zone.

I also ordered some romance series cherries, some plums, cider apples, and berry bushes.

There is a big pine in the corner of the yard that would make a perfect tree to build a tree house for my kids. I have to throw my chainsaw away or I know I am going to chop it down and plant more fruit.

16 Likes

You have the bug, all right, Brendan

Welcome Brendan. I’m guessing you are down on the plains vs up in the foothills; should have good luck with the fruits you’ve mentioned. Do keep an eye out for fire blight though, it can get bad at times down there.

1 Like

Welcome Brendan!