Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Welcome new growers!

2 Likes

Hi Dennis - Welcome from the Piedmont!!

• Brian
1 Like

I got locked out of my old account (JesseS) due to changing devices and misremembering my password, Iā€™m back!

11 Likes

Welcome George. When I lived in Olympia I got lots of plants and great advice from Burnt Ridge Nursery in Onalaska, WA. Thereā€™s a gigantic chinese chestnut near Ralphā€™s on the eastside thatā€™s probably dropping nuts right now. Start some trees from those chestnuts!

Hi Brian. Thanks. Have you heard of Feralwood nursery in Cleveland County?

I havenā€™tā€¦but itā€™s been 4 years since Iā€™ve been in Cleveland Co (KingsMtn/Shelby).
Is it a good one? The ā€œGrowing Concernā€ in Hendersonville is pretty good.

Thanks for that suggestion Dennis. Iā€™ll go check it out. Just curious if you ever happened upon the grove of Italian plums at Millersylvania? Must have been planted by the conservation corpsā€¦ Iā€™m hoping to find a twig to bring home some day. Hope they let me.

I didnā€™t run into that italian plum stand. I do know about an abandoned hazelnut orchard near the eastside co-op. Huge 20ā€™ tall plants with lots of nuts (may be too late for nuts now). If I can remember all the spots, Iā€™ll send you maps of where to find figs, blueberries, hazelnuts, apples, and thimble berries. Thereā€™s ā€œolympiaā€ varieties of figs and blueberries for a reason!

1 Like

I was wondering where you went! Welcome back. You werenā€™t able to do a password reset?

1 Like

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest George, Iā€™m about 50 miles NE of you in Burien.

Speaking of Burnt Ridge, I remember Michael saying they do the farmerā€™s market in Olympia. They always sold items at the yearly Seattle Tilth sale too.

Thanks for the welcome Quill. Iā€™ve got to get out to the nurseries more. Iā€™ve been down to Portland for the Bamboo Garden, which is amazing, but not to Burnt Ridge or Raintree yet. There is now even a Carniverous nursery in Rochester and a tree place in SeaTac (www.restoringeden.co). Lots to check out.

2 Likes

Thanks, that would be so awesome. Like a treasure map.

That makes me wonder if this forum has a thread for traveling grafters, maps for various cities across the country for hidden tree gems. Kinda like geo-caching for fruit!

1 Like

Hi all,
Finally got around to signing on after being a long time reader and proudly amateur fruit and garden nerd. Iā€™m on the far north coast of California, meaning cool, foggy summers and damp winters. Iā€™m fortunate to have a small slice of south facing land tucked behind a low hill offering some protection from the prevailing cool NW winds coming ashore. Have a medley of fruits, berries and garden goodies. Novice grafter and excited to take my half dozen new apple grafts on G890 into their first winter to add to the small apple herd. Always looking to add a new pear variety (or three) to the existing trees (while trying to resist the urge for new trees altogether - futile so far). Great year for Bosc and Comice here and continue to pull some out of the chill for ripening and fresh eating, some of the other pears just coming into bearing this year and hopefully more next year. I enjoy winter pruning and training just as much as the eating. Anyhow, Iā€™ve gained a lot of super helpful info from the community here and look forward to participating, learning and contributing as best I can.

16 Likes

Welcome,Sam. We have a lot of folks here from various part of CA.

1 Like

Hi, I joined this forum way back when, but at the time there wasnā€™t much content and I was turned off by the interface. Iā€™m back, and see that thereā€™s now lots of content, and other forums have forced me to learn the interface. So Hi!. Iā€™m going to ask the administrator to change my user name to my real name, and some of you might remember me from NAFEX.

5 Likes

Welcome! My parents are up in Oregon and we visited the one summer and stayed at the beach. Brrr it was still sweatshirt weather in July!

Welcome back!

2 Likes

Thanks! Iā€™m happy to return. What with pandemic boredom, you may see a lot of me. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi from one eastern Mass grower to another.

1 Like

Hi back!

Huh, I didnā€™t know you could grow persimmons around here. (I have to admit, I donā€™t much care for persimmons, but itā€™s a pretty plant.)

1 Like