Introducing myself to Scott's forum

Hello everyone. I’m a hobby home grower. I like growing some perennial fruit trees (persimmon, fig, pomegranate, yuzu citron, plum, apricot) along with native plants (beech, flytrap, dogwood) and my yearly vegetable garden. My favorite part is propagation from seed but that may change when I get a little better at grafting. Looking forward to learning a lot here!

13 Likes

Glad you joined. This forum is full of hobby home growers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome twkling. A fun and informative site.

Welcome Troy!

Hi everyone,

I am from the Seattle area. I love gardening, growing flowers, fruit and vegetables. I have been an avid fig grower for the past 3 years. This year, I have found my happy balance with my figs and want to venture out to learn about growing other edible plants. My goal is to research and learn about the varieties do well in our the Seattle area, and to add persimmon, jujube, pomegranate, and loquat to my garden. I also hope to learn and connect with other growers.

Thank you!

Chen

20 Likes

Welcome. There are quite a few members here from Seattle and WA. @Seattlefigs , @Vincent_8B are among them.

4 Likes

Welcome @Chen

1 Like

You’ll have lots of good company here growing similar things! Welcome.

I love reading the personal stories. Thank You, Greg! And welcome to your new addiction . . . I mean! - The Fruit Forum! - Karen AKA PomGranny

Welcome from the north Oregon coast, Chen.

Welcome Chen.
All above fruit trees you indicated. Only persimmon with a couple varieties like IZU( none astringent) and Saijo (astringent) Nikita gift maybe ok. All the others may not sweet enough in their flavor due to summer not hot or long enough. Loquat looks good beautiful evergreen tree but may extremely rare fruiting here in Seattle areas because their blooming during winter time weather not warm enough for fruiting. Juju bee only a couple varieties like Li and Lang fruiting but never heavy and quality may not too good. Jujubee like hot summer either. Pomegranate not perform well here either. Not recommending for all apricots as well. All that above from my personal experience hopefully it help to save your time. Someone else experience may different.
Recommending fruit trees: Cosmic Crisp Apple, Desert King fig, Sweet Treat and Sugar twist pluerry, Nadia cherry plum, some pawpaw, Green Gage plum, Hardy Kiwi, Frost peach or Indian Free Peach some Asian pear, Conference pear… good luck for gardening Chen.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Chen!

I have a few extra loquat seedlings from the big tree in the International District, if you want a couple of them. Just a couple months old, so pretty small. They’ll be in my greenhouse in West Seattle all winter in any case, so DM if you’re interested.

Yes, I would love to have one. I heard of that tree and it has been fruiting every year? Will PM you.

Chen

Thank you Vincent! Those that didn’t do well you mentioned, were they in pots or ground?

Chen

1 Like

They were In the ground and in a few years I had replaced something different.
I didn’t try pomegranate yet but I know they like more tropical weather. They maybe ok if in the pod and move in greenhouse during Winter time, but too much work like that not recommended either. Good luck Chen.

Bio
Hello! After a couple of years of benefiting from using this forum, I was amused this morning when I discovered the purpose of this thread! Sometimes what’s most obvious is the least noticed! Some very interesting bios here!
I grew up on a cotton farm in west Tennessee where as I studied agriculture in high school I began to learn about caring for fruit trees. So I got permission to manage our family orchard. This was my first real interest in growing fruit. Back then the wild plum thickets (Prunus Americana) covered almost every space that farmers were not plowing up for crop land, but as time passed we began to notice how these prized treats were gradually disappearing. Now as I reflect back on those very simple times, I realize how fortunate I was to be growing up in a rural environment where I was free to roam and learn. I eventually graduated from high school and had to leave my passion to attend the military academy at West Point where I majored in civil engineering. During my career I managed to obtain my MS in Civil Engineering. But during my 20 year military career I really was never in one place long enough to have fruit or gardens, or even plant a tree, but I always thought someday I will! I retired from service in 1992 and took my first civilian job here in Washington State as City Engineer for the City of Auburn. Finally, I was able to settle down long enough to plant a tree! Often have I wondered why I had not pursued horticulture instead of engineering. I retired from my city job a few years ago and now have the honor and pleasure of working for myself! Two years ago I somehow stumbled onto this site as I was trying to learn more about plant propagation and grafting. :star_struck:! It was for me like a eureka moment when I discovered so many people willing to teach me all I didn’t know! My primary interests now are expanding my knowledge about plants, grafting, adding new fruit and plant varieties to our garden, outdoors sports: hiking, fishing and skiing, and during my spare time I enjoy trading in the stock market. As I have developed my own investment strategies, I often help others learn how to make money. While working with the city I led a small investors group to help others learn about stock investing. Now that I am retired and with the advent of Covid I no longer meet with other investors in small groups, but I do still send out my weekly market update to those who wish to receive my emails. I have been a subscriber in Investors Business Daily for over 10 years now and rely on it for the majority of my stock research. So if you would like to learn more about the market and often consult on investment strategies, just PM me your email and I will add you to my weekly update!
Dennis Dowdy
Kent, Wa

13 Likes

Welcome! We are happy to have you on the forum! We, in fact, have a thread on investing that I am sure would love to hear your perspectives.

1 Like

Hello from Central Oklahoma! I’ve been a long-time reader for a few years now, but haven’t posted anything. My yard is pretty small, but I’ve managed to add cornelian cherries, one pawpaw, a jujube, four figs, elderberries, a pomegranate, Warren pear, Mexican plum, serviceberry, blueberries, and a muscadine. I had a couple Asian persimmons, too, but they died in the crazy February freeze this year.

I’ve learned so much from this site. Many thanks to Scott and the admins! :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

I’m a newbie (but intrepidly so). I live in a suburb in New England.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard a fellow New Englander!

This is an introduction thread (which is very long to begin with).
If you don’t mind, could you please copy your questions and create a new thread in the General Fruit Growing category?. I am certain you will get a lot of responses.

1 Like