Introduction and mixing pyrethrum (Pyganic) and sulfur

Hello,
First want to thank the forum community, moderators and creators. I have used this forum for years and have learned a tremendous amount.

I live in central Ohio, 6a. I’m not new to gardening or growing trees per se. However, I am relatively new to getting to the harvest stage. I planted an 8-tree orchard in 2016 on our previous property, only to sell it in 2020 before I could get any fruit from them. I was bummed about that, but we have a new property with more land and very thankful to have it. Eventually we will have 30 trees or so. Currently I have 14 peach varieties ( my favorite), 5 apples and 6 pears. I have one more (maybe 2 :grin:) peach I want and a handful of apples and pears ordered for next year. About 12 of my trees are 3-4 years old and ready to fruit. I will be following Scott’s low impact spray schedule to produce the most organically grown fruit I can. I plan to make adjustments/use synthetics as I learn and observe what works and what doesn’t. One thing I know will differ is my use of pyrethrin/pyrethrum (Pyganic). The japanese beetles in my area get literally plague-worthy. Spraying pyrethrin and dusting diatomaceous earth (I use a Dustin Mizer) has been effective enough to keep them at bay. I also use traps. Hopefully the other things I’m adding this year, like Surround, will help even more.

Finally, to my question. I want to add sulfur now and then to my pyrethrin tank. Adding it to the surround mix seems like a clog waiting to happen as my sulfur is Bonide dry flowable. Searched this site and others and can’t find any real answers. I know sulfur and oil are a no no. Pyrethrum comes from an oil, but not sure if it’s still an oil after extraction or would cause issues if mixed with sulfur. There is an orchard spray containing the two, but I have no idea if they match my products or rates. Anyone have some experience mixing these? Thanks in advance!

For anyone interested, a rep from MGK finally got back to me and explained that mixing sulfur with pyrethrin is not a good idea. Although not exactly like neem or mineral oil, pyrethrin/pyrethrum are oil based and there would be a danger of phototoxicity.

1 Like