Invent your fantasy fruit?

The Nadia Sweet cherry x plum hybrid: thread is morphing into people’s plans for hybridizing the perfect fruit, so I think the time is ripe :yum: for a fantasy fruit thread.

I’ll start with what I imagined/hoped Nadia would be like, enhanced a little bit. Very large, very dark cherry, but soft and juicy, not crisp, with wine and mulberry undertones, and aromatic.

And a banana-type fruit that tastes like a cross between a banana and an apricot.

4 Likes

Banana and apricot would be interesting. My fantasy fruit is not very adventurous. It would be a huge dark firm sweet cherry like Bing only the size of a large apple. Haha. My favorite flavor in all of the fruit world is that of a sweet cherry. Yes it would be interesting to add additional flavors to it like apricot or peach. But I’d settle for an apple sized cherry right now.

You mentioned wine flavor. One of the most interesting and delicious pieces of fruit I ate last year was a plumcot/pluot named plumogranite. My first bite into it my first thought was that it tasted like a sweet red table wine. As a gobbled through several of them I could really taste pomagranite flavor. I thought they were excellent. Wish I could find scion wood for that variety but I think it’s patented.

3 Likes

I want a Bing cherry taste that is the size of a large plum. In addition it has to have excellent disease resistance and grows well in zone 7b. Let me know when it is ready.

5 Likes

My Bings were sensational last yr, all 10 of them, lol. 32 brix and also highly acidic. The flavor was as good as it gets. I don’t need them bigger but seedless would be nice. Then again the seed slows down the eating and that’s good, savor each gem.

So my fantasy fruit would be more of those Bings.

9 Likes

Oh god, seedless bings! That would truly be a dream come true. Trader Joe’s would charge about $15/lb!

3 Likes

When I was a kid I watched land of the lost and never forgot them loading watermelon sized strawberries on their cart. At the time I had only eaten wild strawberries so those looked pretty good to me. A 20 lb strawberry that has wild strawberry flavor.

3 Likes

Sweetcrisp Blueberries the size of large plums!

3 Likes

As much as I like Sweetcrisp, and I was very early on the bandwagon, pluots like F Supreme and King can be much better tasting.

3 Likes

@fruitnut I can’t wait to find out, I have yet to have a chance to eat a pluot much less a FK or FS. I’ve only Had store bought plums which sometimes tasted like cardboard. But after the haul of trees this year , and last years trees I’ll have somewhere around 60 pluot trees (12 being flavor King). We didn’t have a winter at all this year so I’m sure I won’t be tasting any this year either.

Wow, I hope you weren’t that warm. I’d be surprised if at least some of your pluots don’t bloom.

I looked up Baton Rouge weather history Dec and Jan. I’d bet they’ll bloom. If they lost their leaves in Dec and with the cold spells you’ve had they should bloom fine.

2 Likes

Non astringent persimmons the size of grapes and with a good tasting/textured thin skin.

1 Like

I sure hope you’re right! I think it was the first week of Jan. We had a few days that dipped into the low 20’s and all the leaves fell. The last week of Dec. my sweetcrisp bloomed.

Thornless blackberry with large fruit , great taste , erect and hardy to zone 3 .

1 Like

There are so many great pieces of fruit that the question really made me pause for some time. Push comes to shove I have a few areas that a plant breeder could improve upon. Here’s my short list:

1. Another apple that moves the sweet-tart bar any where near ‘Pink Lady’.
  2. A jujube that doesn’t resemble Styrofoam pellets dipped in something sugary.
  3. A non-astringent persimmon that’s so great for fresh eating that you don’t immediately seek out muffin recipes just to “use them up.”
  4. A ripe pineapple for sale at Costco.
1 Like

Dried jujube remind me of date flavored marshmallows with a pit.

2 Likes

The ideal invention of a fruit tree would not be edible at all. This tree would be an attractive tree to fruit pests, causing them all to eat of it and thereby commit suicide.

I don’t know how far-fetched this is but it may be possible with genetic engineering. Not sure it is a good idea because it could cause problems.

2 Likes

you like pink lady and you live in cali? then you might want to try ‘chico’ jujube. Much as i have been giving pink lady two thumbs up, i actually think chico jujus ripened in oct/november(in vegas) being at least as good.

there’s at least one banana that has achieved fantasy-fruit category. Problem is that the fruits look weird if not outright ugly.
combining it with a good apricot does sound dreamy-delicious to me!

So they are Styrofoam pellets, with a pit, dipped in ‘Pink Lady’ apple juice? :wink:

We here in the northern Midwest need to cross these with superior, or another plum that grows well here, to produce a more reliable cultivar with that unique flavor.

Working on it! This is one of my breeding goals. So far I have made zero progress. Still fun to do.

You should cross Nadia with Flavor Supreme.

1 Like