Is it time to rip out out my arctic raspberries?

I have Anna and Valentina. They bloom and spread like a weed. I have never gotten even a single fruit.

I doubt we’d get very far, but maybe it’s time we reached out to the university that produced the cultivars? Might be a long shot though.

Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)

Sometimes I wonder if there was a mixup a long time ago with a propagator and we all ended up with Anna.

2 Likes

i asked mr. Hartmann himself and Bernis from Honeyberry USA. neither could give me a answer and gave some of the same tips here. i grow all kinds of cane fruit and never had a issue getting berries. maybe they really need something special to fruit but i know here i dont need to go far to find them wild. same with trailering and regular wild raspberries. i tried growing them on unamended soil as well but didnt make a difference. i just put 4 plants from 3 of my patches in a 4 gal fabric pot in average potting soil. want to see if the extra air to the roots makes a difference but your soil has alot more drainage than mine yet you arent getting any either. i went out yesterday and found 6 berries starting to ripen in one of my patches under my blackberries. its the most in 4 yrs so ill take it!

1 Like

Do they get lots of fruit on their plants?

they say they do but dont go into details. i dont think they really know themselves.

Maybe they should be sold as flowering ground over instead.

I get a lot of flowers, but no fruit. Mine-

Compared to what you see online. It’s pretty laughable-

5 Likes

mine are now all mixed in with the strawberries and lowbush blueberries. both of which fruit more than the a. raspberries. ive seen those pics from online. 2lbs of fruit from 1 plant? they should be sued for false advertising.

2 Likes

also called Nagoonberry I just read one thing that confuses me
if they grow in peat wouldn’t they want to be kept damp
(like Berry Allen said, but not the Plants for a future site)
Although I do not know that environment maybe Alaskans can explain the conditions they grow?

https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Rubus+arcticus

they look sparse here as well

Raspberry leaf tea is used as a tea for woman

I got to ask though IF it is in Alaska , and they have longer winters longer days
would extending the dormant period work
Like placing card board on top weighed down with bricks in winter, and into spring !
This is only A guess I hope they work out for you.
your PH is low , and the numbers are right I wonder if epsom salt would do anything to lower it quickly ,
or even if you do plan to rip them out anyways
add sulphur to lower the PH even more, but takes a while to work like next season.

3 Likes

I believe these are them (first pic). I’ve seen it a few times out on the tundra in Western Alaska. Blueberries (Vaccinium uliginosum), cranberries (Vaccinium vitis idaea), blackberries (Empetrum nigrum), and salmonberries (Rubus chamaemorus) are more common. The tundra is like a wet sponge.

2 Likes

Almost looks like cloudBerry

Is the first plant have to many leaves to be cloudberry ?
I am no expert on these rubus species…

we have up to 18 hr days here and winter runs nov. to may. we also have wild arctics that fruit here just really small berries. they grow great around my blueberries which i do give sulphur every 2-3 years. one patch is a mound of pure peat / perlite with compost added. they grow great many flowers. few fruit. same with the ones growing in woodchips in pure unamended clay. we get a good amount of rainfall more than enough most years. last years drought they got watered every other day plus theyre mulched with 4in. of new woodchips every spring.

1 Like

Yep that’s it with the purple flowers. The second Picture, I believe is a cloudberry. They grow on almost soggy soil.

There are a couple of subspecies in North America, rubus acaulis in the East and rubus stellatus in Alaska. The latter is what they crossed with the European species but the taste difference is not appreciated by people who want “the real arctic raspberry taste”. Mine are yet to fruit so I can’t comment on that.

1 Like

https://growingfruit.org/t/last-call-monday-1-24-hartmann-plant-company-joint-order-spring-2022-honeyberry-raspberry-kiwi-lingon-blue-cranberries-units-of-1-or-2-possible/42152/111?u=disc4tw

Moose, I wonder if putting a root barrier to reduce spreading and potentially “shock” into fruiting would be effective?

Ryan, my 1st patch i made was a 4’x4’ 6in. high raised bed. i put all 4 cultivars of arctics in that bed. in 2 years 4 plugs filled it in then sent rhizomes outside the bed. the other plugs i set out in groups of 2 different cultivars together in other beds and under trees and bushes. they too spread about 4ft in 2 years. tried them in pots with good potting mixes. same results. tried using chic manure for fertilizer, 10-10-10 and none at all. just mulched w/ woodchips. didnt spread as fast but still grew. still only a little berry here and there. whoever wrote that 1 plant produces 2 lbs of berries per plant is full of it. i dont think in 5 yrs. ive gotten that much out of hundreds of plants. everyone on here that grows them has gotten similar results so i dont think its just me. big differences between Alaska, Maine, Michigan and IL and the 1st 3 mentioned have them growing wild in their states. Only raspberry out of dozens of cultivars grown that i cant get a crop out of. very frustrating. i had high hopes for them.

1 Like

Steve, that sounds extremely frustrating. Thank you for sharing your failures, as they are a good thing to be aware of for the rest of us to experiment with and maybe alter your strategies. @lordkiwi would you be interested in messaging Hartmanns to see if they have any production tips? Someone somewhere has done something to get the production pictured in their advertising, we just have to crack the code to figure it out.

Maybe we are missing a micronutrient like magnesium or iron? Maybe it’s an acidity thing? Maybe they hand pollinated every single berry in the pictures? Maybe they took pictures of another ground spreading berry to sell these ones better? :sob::rofl: I don’t plan on this becoming a lifelong battle, but it’s certainly fun to have a new challenge every once in a while.

My guess is pollination. I went back and looked at my pics-

May 14th- nothing blooming anywhere, everything green, brown, and leafing.

May 15th- dandelions start blooming. The Arctic raspberry also started blooming on May 15th.

Honeybees seem to ignore it. I never saw a bumblebee visit it either.

After reading this thread the other day. I am just trying as a fun ground cover. I doubt I will get fruit, but it’s better than having nothing under the blueberries.

i wish you the best of luck. if you figure it out please share with us. yes its been very frustrating.

1 Like

they do make a nice 4-6in ground cover and when flowering are very nice.

1 Like

i have seen bumbles all over them mid may. i have a very big population of bumbles and mason bees here. seen them out in as cold as the mid 40’s. pollination isnt the issue.

1 Like

im about to try the pot bloom nutrients on them. :wink: cant hurt to try.

1 Like