Is it too early for my one and only Fuyu to ripen?

4 Likes

It’s not too early for it to start turning color. It is still growing. Don’t pick it until Fall and it has a deep orange color.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Agreed. Fuyu will be a deep orange when ready and they can stay on the tree a long time. Last year i picked all m outside Fuyu around Halloween only because raccoons and rodents were getting to them. My greenhouse Fuyu I picked the last fruit after Christmas. I’d leave it till it completely oranges up unless you’re worried about critters.

Anthony

2 Likes

I will definitely wait. Sure wish I had a tree full instead of one.

1 Like

I was lucky cause last year I had 120 from my outside tree (7 or 8th leaf) and 120 in total from my 3 greenhouse trees (2 @ 2nd leaf Izu and one fifth or sixth leaf Fuyu) so 2016 was my most productive year for persimmons.

One of my large greenhouse Fuyu

Another gh Fuyu

Smaller outside Fuyu to Large gh Fuyu for size comparison.

Unripe outside Fuyu left on shelf to ripen.

This year I’ll have fewer persimmons I think because of the terrible winter and spring and quite a few drops which I haven’t seen as bad in the past. With any luck though I should get 100 from outside and 80 to 100 bigger ones from my greenhouse trees.

Good luck in the future with your Fuyu.

Anthony

3 Likes

Looks great. How old is your tree?

2 Likes

I planted it this year 2017. If I had known how well I would like them. I would have more planted and sooner.

4 Likes

Getting fruit the first year is quite an accomplishment. I planted most of mine in 2015, so this is their second full year. No fruit yet but the trees are growing well. Hopefully next year!

3 Likes

My 2nd year tree looks like it will give me 50 fruit. Training and branch bending helped boost the yield.

2 Likes