Is it worth it to grow the Warren pear

I would assume if CO is super good for peaches it would be good for pears. Why is it so good for peaches but not pears?

1 Like

@elivings1

To better understand what good fruit country is it is best to learn about wine growing areas first What is Wine Country? | Halleck Vineyard. That does not mean your area or those areas are bad for pears. The soil , the rock in the soil , the water, climate , variety, process used etc. all impact how fruits taste. Napa valley is notorious for wine because it grows great tasting wine grapes. If you want a really great onion than a real vidalia is great. Sure other people grow them but only one place has real vidalia onions Vidalia onion - Wikipedia

1 Like

I have Shinseiki on OHxF 333 (DWN tree) and grafted a bunch of varieties on it. It took about 3 years for varieties to slowly start producing. The exceptions are Hosui and Ya Li and they are precocious. It’s easy to keep the tree at 6 feet. This year (6 years in the ground) it has settled into producing what I want from that tree (about 50-60 pears across 7 varieties after thinning). I bench grafted Warren on a couple of OHxF 87 rootstocks and planted them in spring. I hear 87 is more precocious and vigorous than 333. I need to see how they perform in my yard

2 Likes

Great to hear. I have one OFx87 tree, maybe I get a Warren Scion and graft it to that tree.

2 Likes

It’s taken me a while to decide just how to respond to the answers to my last post. Here are some thoughts from a retired physician who actively practiced medicine for over 50 years.

Before I start this I want everyone to know that Warren and Magness are the two family favorite pears and if we could grow only a few pears those would definitely be two of the three or four trees.

First – don’t believe everything you read as true. If it does not seem to fit the facts or your experience, question it. That doesn’t mean that you immediately reject it but just search for evidence to back it up.
So, I need more evidence to back up the statements from nurseries and others that Warren is a good pollen source for other varieties and that it is self-fertile.
If it is self-fertile, why is it such a shy bearer? Think of other self-fertile pears like Conference, Seckel and Bartlett (under some conditions). According to UC Davis (Pear in California ) Bartlett is really parthenocarpic. My impression is that Warren will also set a few parthenocarpic fruit. Conference is often grown in the UK without pollinating varieties but parthenocarpic Conference fruit is often quite misshapen. Yields of marketable fruit increase with pollination partners.

This year I have a minimal set of fruit on my two Warren trees. The bloom season was brief and the weather conditions were not very good. That said, Magness and most other varieties blooming at the same time set well. Since I’ll have so few fruit this year I’ll look at all of them to see if there is what looks like viable seed or if maybe some of the fruit are parthenocarpic.

Does anyone have a source of research data that proves the viability of Warren pollen? Have controlled studies been done to document that Warren is indeed a good “universal” pollinator? And finally, when did this information start appearing in nursery catalogs and from other sources? Who was the first to state it? My Google searches have not been successful and I do not have access to the Pomological journals where research data is presented. I’m not interested in anecdotal data.
I still like the Burntridge chart that shows Warren as pollen sterile. But, I’m certainly willing to change if there is good evidence to the contrary.

One last thing – T.O. drove me around Hattiesburg and pointed out the tree he said was the original Warren. He never admitted to me that he snagged a scion from the defunct test nursery in Meridian – about 87 miles away. I moved to CA about 18 years before he died and we never discussed the pear after I moved.

4 Likes

@mayhaw9999

These are very legitimate points. Warren is frequently not discussed as being self pollinating or as a good source of pollen for other trees. Professional growers are very closed mouth about warren. One thing none of them can hide is how they grow it in large blocks. We will find more information on warrens sibling that will give us some clues. Magness was named US 3866-E .in the studies. In order to understand pear pollination this will help others reading this

"Magness is highly resistant to fireblight. The main cultivation difficulty with this variety is that it can be slow to bear. This is addressed by using OHxF rootstocks and by spreading young limbs. Mature trees are productive if pollination is provided; Magness is not self-fertile, and it does not provide viable pollen for other varieties. There are, however, no known European pear varieties with which Magness will not set fruit.

Ripening late, about three weeks after Bartlett, the fruit is medium sized, oval, and lightly russeted. It is a dessert pear of the highest quality, with soft, juicy, and aromatic flesh. Our nursery manager says that it is “unparalleled,” and that “at the crown of the Tree of Life, a Magness awaits all who seek it.” I guess he likes it. It will ripen well after being in cold storage for as long as three months (maybe longer at the top of the Tree of Life).

Magness is a cross of Seckel and Doyenne du Comice, both of which are outstanding dessert pears. It is named for John R. Magness, who was chief of the Fruit and Nut Crops section of the USDA until 1959."

“Magness originated in Beltsville, Maryland, by U.S. Deptartment of Agriculture. Introduced for trial in 1960 and released in 1968 by Howard J. Brooks. It is a cross between Seckel seedling and Comice. It tested as US 3866-E and was named in honor of John R. Magness, who was leading the fruit and nut crops section at Agricultural Research Center, in Beltsville, Maryland. The fruit has good quality and medium size, with soft flesh and it is very juicy and aromatic. The fruit ripens a week later than Bartlett. It has good storage quality and can be held in cold storage up to 3 months, with storage it quality improves. The tree begins bearing at about 6 years and early fruiting is happening mainly on medium long terminals. It is entirely pollen-sterile, and it not produce good pollen and should not be used as a pollenizer. The tree has good resistance to fire blight. It can grow USDA hardiness zones 5-9”

Back to warren pear

" Warren Pear Tree

An excellent pear variety for those of you that like silky, buttery flesh that has no grit to it. Discovered by Thomas O. Warren, one of the founding members of the North American Fruit Explorers (NAFEX). Plants make great pollinators, are fire blight resistant, and the fruit is a perfect combination of sweet, spicy and juicy!

SKU: WARNCategories: European PearsPearTag: European Pears

Share:

0 shares

Warren Pear Tree

An excellent pear variety for those of you that like silky, buttery flesh that has no grit to it. Discovered by Thomas O. Warren, one of the founding members of the North American Fruit Explorers (NAFEX). Plants make great pollinators, are fire blight resistant, and the fruit is a perfect combination of sweet, spicy and juicy!

Pear trees are one of the world’s most popular and delicious fruit. Pears grace us with their delicious flavor, sweet, juicy flesh, and attractive form.

Latin Name: Pyrus communis
Site and Soil: Warren Pear likes full to 1/2 day sun and well-drained soil.
Rootstock Description: A dwarfing rootstock for European Pears, OHxF 513 produces trees 10-15 ft. in height.
Pollination Requirements: Needs another European Pear variety nearby for cross-pollination. Our Asian Pear varieties can also be used as pollinators.
Hardiness: Hardy to minus 25°F. or below.
Bearing Age: 2-3 years after planting.
Size at Maturity: 10-15 ft. in height.
Taste: Sweet, juicy
Fruit Skin: Yellowish-green with red blush
Fruit Size: Medium
Bloom Time: April
Ripening Time: Early September
Yield: 50+ lbs.
Pests & Diseases: Our European Pear varieties are generally quite disease resistant and easy to grow. Except for occasional problems with Codling Moth, we have not seen significant insect damage on our varieties.
USDA Zone: 4-8"

Raintree says this
" WARREN EUROPEAN PEAR

Pyrus communis ‘Warren’

Warren is your best friend in the pear department! Adapted throughout most of the nation and among the very best backyard choices, with fruit that is juicy and sweet, a buttery texture, and very good keeping abilities. Discovered in Hattiesburg, Mississippi by noted horticulturist T. O. Warren, and truly the best choice for Southern growers. Fruits are medium to large, have a teardrop shape and green skin.

Extremely resistant to fireblight, somewhat resistant to cedar trellis rust, and cold hardy. Also known to be low chill - 500 hours or less. Considered a “Universal Pollenizer” as bloom category 2. Needs a pollenizer.

USDA Zone: 5-9

Grow Height: 15’ (Semi Dwarf)

Sun: Full Sun

Ripening Time: October

Pollination: Needs a Pollinizer
"

Gurneys says this

" * Good storing pear

• Excellent texture for cooking
  • Resistant to fire blight

One of the best dessert-quality pear varieties to grow in the South, Warren Pear Tree bears medium to large, long-necked, pale green fruits that are sometimes blushed with red. The fruits have a juicy, sweet flesh with a wonderful buttery texture. The firm flesh holds up well to cooking and poaching. The fruits also store well. Discovered in Hattiesburg, Mississippi several decades ago, this pear tree performs well in all the Coastal South areas, as well as all areas of zones 7-9. The trees are very resistant to fire blight. 600 chill hours are required for a successful harvest.

• Botanical Name: Pyrus communis ‘Warren’

• Height: Standard: 25 feet

• Spacing: Standard: 20 feet

• **Depth:**Locate the planting depth indicator, the marked line above the tree’s root system. The graft should be about 2 inches above the soil surface.

• **Spread:**Standard: 25 feet

• **Light Required:**Full Sun

• **Pollinator:**Self-pollinating

• Color: White flowers.

• Size: Standard 2-4’

• Blooms: Mid Spring, Late Spring

• Fruit: Medium to large fruit, buttery; juicy flesh with excellent flavor. Long-necked fruit with pale green skin, sometimes blushed red.

• Zone: 7-9

• Form: Fruit Tree, Fruit, Pear, Standard Pear Tree

• Soil Requirements: Loamy Soil

• Growth Rate: Medium

• Foliage: Shiny green foliage.

Look what the questions were related to warren
"

of 7 Questions

Q

Do I need more than one warren pear tree to polinate?

Asked by Jan 19 days ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - AngelaThe Warren Pear Tree is self pollinating. You only need one to produce fruit.

Q

Is this Warren Pear bare root?

Asked by Liz 1 month ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - AngelaThe Warren Pear Tree is shipped as a bareroot tree.

Q

Could this be used to pollinate a sand pear tree we already have on the property we bought?

Asked by dslodge 1 year ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - AngelaI apologize but I don’t know what will pollinate a sand pear. You might try contacting your county extension office for guidance. There are apparently quite a few varieties. The most important factor in selecting a pollinator is bloom time.

Q

Do you have the Warren pear trees in semi dwarf

Asked by David 1 year ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - AngelaThe Warren Pear Tree is only available in the standard size at this time.

Q

Can a Warren pear tree be cross polinated by another fruit tree like apple or peach or do you have to get two Warren Pears?

Asked by Desi 1 year ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - AngelaThe Warren Pear Tree is self-fertile. You only need one to produce fruit.

Q

The Warren Pear I ordered has arrived. I was disappointed to see that it has thorns. Are the thorns only on the part of the plant to which it was grafted? Or will those thorns be on the whole tree?

Asked by waiting to see 3 years ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - MarkI found this online. “Consider yourself warned pears do have thorns in many cases when they are younger. In some cases such as Warren pear the thorns are frequent.” They grow out of it somewhat. Warren is an excellent pear. I saw the original last year.

Q

Today is August 24, 2019. For the first time in 6 years I have about 12 Warren pears on my tree. How can I know when to pick them? MY tree is covered with leaves that have Blister mite, but the pears seem OK. I am told to wait till leaf drop to spray it with a dormant oil spray.

Asked by Celia 4 years ago
ADD YOUR ANSWER

Verified Reply - ViciThe skin is green when immature, developing to an earthy yellow-brown as it ripens. It is really a preference whether you like your pears crispy or soft. If you happen to pick them a little early, they will continue to ripen once picked. Yes. A dormant oil spray is applied when the leaves have dropped and the tree is dormant."

" The Wonderful Warren Pear and A Pear Butter Recipe”

Posted on October 15, 2017 by erinpollen

Warren Pears… sweet, juicy, addicting!

If you can get your hands on some Warren pears do so immediately and you will be in for the best tasting pears on the planet! A cross between the Seckel pear and the Comice pear, it has thin, edible skin, smooth, ungritty flesh and a flavor full of honey, vanilla and heaven! Seriously, we discovered we had a Warren pear tree growing in the school garden this year when, for the first time (it is 4 years old), it bore a huge crop of big, juicy pears that were so good the children AND their parents were fighting over them! I researched Warren pears and discovered they are considered one of the best pears around, but we had already figured that out.

One article I read claimed this pear was discovered by Thomas Oscar Warren growing naturally outside a post office in Hattiesburg, MS. It was known as the Post Office pear for awhile before taking on its founder name. However it was developed, it is truly a fabulous pear. The tree is self-pollinating, very resistant to blight (a big plus), super hardy and grows very fast and tall. To anyone who grows fruit trees, this one is a must-have! I’ve already ordered one from our nursery for my own garden👍.

These pears are fantastic just by themselves, but I wanted to save some of their yumminess for later so I made a pear butter that is incredible… and super easy to make. I canned some for later but you could freeze it, too. It will also last a few weeks in the fridge, if you can resist eating it immediately. If you cannot find Warren pears, use Comice, Seckel or Anjou pears. I would not recommend Bartletts just because they are much grittier and do not have the complex flavors of other pears that make this Pear Butter so irresistible.

RECIPE for Pear Butter

• 2-5 lbs. ripe pears (depending on how much you want to make)
  • 1/8 to 1/4 cup water
  • 1TBSP lemon juice
  • cinnamon to taste
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

1. Wash and core the pears. You can peel them or not, depending on how smooth you want the Pear Butter. If they have thicker skin definitely peel them.
  2. Cut pears into small chunks, place in large bowl & sprinkle lemon juice over the the top.
  3. Put pears into a large pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and let them cook for an hour or more, stirring often to keep from burning.
  4. When pears are completely cooked down add some cinnamon & vanilla to your taste. Continue to cook until they thicken to an applesauce-like consistency.
  5. Using an Immersion Blender, purée the butter until completely smooth.
  6. At this point, your Pear Butter is ready. If you made a big batch you may can some of it or put some in freezable containers (once it has cooled). If you made a smaller batch, it will keep in the fridge for a few weeks.
  7. This delicious spread is great on toast, muffins, bagels, in yogurt, over ice cream or oatmeal, or try a smear on a grilled cheese sandwich. I have to restrain myself from just eating it straight out of the the jar😋!

A dollop of Pear Butter in your oatmeal

A thick smear on toast is addicting
"

Clark, that is a wall of text.

After studying existing documentation carefully, I’m comfortable stating that Warren is NOT self-fertile. It is readily pollinated by just about every other European pear. The evidence so far suggests pear uses a similar self-sterility strategy as apple. Apple has “mating types” where type 1 will pollinate with any other type except type 1. Since there are about 50 mating types in apple, I suspect there will be a similar process with pear. This is unproven, but highly supported by available evidence.

@Fusion_power

It is partially self pollinating not pollen sterile. Time will tell the rumor of it being sterile is incorrect. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Not one person has produced a single good source of evidence proving it is pollen sterile like magness.

Clark,
Even the info you posted above contains conflicting info. For example, the first one said Magness’ shape was oval and ripens 3 weeks after Barlett. Cummins said Magness ripens one week after Barlett.
Mehrabyan’s sketch showed Magness looks no where near “oval.”

Also, these sources of info you posted are from nurseries. As you know, they don’t do research. They just copy from each other. If one is incorrect, many will be, too. Even the pics can be way off.

It is also confusing to switch back and forth between Magness and Warren in the same post.

@mayhaw9999 has asked for research data. That would lend more creditability than descriptions from nurseries, IMHO.

1 Like

@mamuang

We have been going down this road for years. @mayhaw9999 and i both know Warren was discovered and the evidence of its breeding does not exist any longer. He knew the gentleman the pear is named after. The reason magness comes up is because the only study that might be found would be on magness not warren. At this point i will be content to grow my warren trees and be satisfied with the heavy yields i get.
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1436384

https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail?id=1436235

Clark,
I just want to point out that lot of links you posted recently are not from researches as Mayhaw has wanted to see (and us, too).

Anyone can google these links but their credibility is questionable and conflicting info can only add to confusion.

I agree with Mayhaw that “don’t believe everything you read as true”.

1 Like

Clark, You believe Warren is self-fertile therefore to you Warren is self-fertile. You did not eliminate the possibility it is parthenocarpic nor did you self blossoms to prove it sets fruit. Given the number of pear varieties you are growing, there is no way to test fertility short of doing actual self-pollination tests where flowers are fully isolated from other pollen. Given the history of pears and what we know about their method of reproduction, it is best to err on the side of caution.

I’m looking at an unknown pear tree in my yard that very rarely sets fruit. It blooms very late and 100% is NOT self-fertile nor is it parthenocarpic.

1 Like

@Fusion_power

I do know warren is not parthenocarpic i have grown it for years. When a pear is parthenocarpic it does not have viable seeds.

@mamuang

As i said the research simply does not exist. Growers do grow blocks of it and know from exprrience it is partially self pollinating but more pollen will produce more pears.

This is an old discussion which until new evidence is produced is a waste of time. These rumors of it being pollen sterile started when people claimed warren and magness were the same pear. People claim magness has the fireblight tolerance of warren. The truth is warren is partially self pollinating, it is not magness, and it is not less productive, it is more fireblight tolerant. The science was released that warren is not magness just like they told the nurseries it is not pollen sterile but yet people still claim otherwise. The problem is people make claims a pear is sterile or another pear with no proof whatsoever.

This statement applies to me too. I have three pear trees: Warren, Magness and Seckel. This year I grafted Dana Hovey to the Seckel. Do you think the Seckel and Dana Hovey will be sufficient pollinators for the Magness and Warren? They are planted in the same row, with 30’ spacing between the Warren and Seckel and the Magness is in the middle (i.e. 15’ away from each).

@clarkinks Would Drippin Honey pollinate Magness/Warren? I have been thinking of grafting an Asian for a while.

1 Like

Maybe, someone should start doing this research or some of us doing a serious and controlled observation.

This is the first year my Warren flowered and set fruit. It was grafted in 2015 on a pear tree that have at least 10 other blooming pear varieties on it. Abundant cross pollination opportunities. So far, I have about 5-6 Warren fruitlets.

Self- fertile or partially self-fertile? I have a serious doubt. But it was the first year. We’ll see.

By the way, Magness, in a similar situation has not set much fruit, either. They obviously do not set well like Citron de Carmes, Passe Cransane, Maxine, Aurora, etc.

2 Likes

@jrd51 I remember you have a Warren tree that has been producing well for you lately. Do you have another variety pollinating it?

Update: searched for your old posts, and saw you have a Harrow Sweet.

@mamuang

For starters if seeds are present and viable it is not parthenocarpic lets please not start that rumor. Warren did set fruit for you which soon you will find out is very high quality. It is better than comice. Would give it at least a 8 or 9 on a 10 scale. It is nearly a 10 but when you taste a 10 you will know why it isn’t. The research is long overdue.

I sure hope you do not imply that I started the rumor about Warren being parthenocarpic? I can’t even spell the word without looking up twice.

I personally think it’s good to question things when info presented is conflicting. @mayhaw9999 has been growing pears for 40 years. His observation is worth listening to, IMHO.

1 Like

The only way to prove whether or not Warren is parthenocarpic is to bag flowers and see if they produce fruit. If the flowers are selfed inside the bag and seed are produced, it is self-fertile. If it produces fruit sans seed, it is parthenocarpic. If it does not produce fruit or produces significantly fewer fruit than normal (usually with reduced seed count), it is either fully self-sterile or partially self-sterile.

3 Likes

Right. There’s a Harrow Sweet next to it. More recently, I planted Keiffer and Magness within 30-40 yards. And there are two Harrow Delights within 100 yards.

Production so far has been modest. There seemed to be a lot of fruit forming this year. I’m away so haven’t checked in a week.

3 Likes