Is it worth it to grow the Warren pear

Warren is carrying a heavier than normal crop. It’s still light in comparison with somr other pears but we trade off production for high quality with this pear!

They need some time to size up

6 Likes

I would argue that I would rather have a 10/10 pear that I can have few of than a lot of bad pears. Honestly the length of times pears live and the amount a tree can produce will still make it so you can out compete the prices on the grocery store market in the long run. Plus Warren is so disease resistant that you don’t need to spend too much on sprays assuming you have other disease resistant pears to pollinate.

4 Likes

I planted my warren in 2016 bare root from century farm. It’s about 9-10 ft tall. This is the first year with a decent crop. It has about 30 pears this year. Last year just a couple.

3 Likes

@barry

That’s a good crop to get 30 pears and a low amount of time to wait!

Ahh … great texture & flavor, low chill, self-fertile, fireblight resistant.

2 Likes

Warren is loaded this year! Hard to believe i once wondered if it was worth it to grow this pear.

13 Likes

One of the highest quality if not the highest quality pear i grow this year. Two didnt make it to the house. Today is September 10th.

7 Likes

Warren makes a good looking pear. I’m impatiently waiting for my two Warren pear limbs to fruit. I have the limbs pulled down but they appear to fruit on their own schedule.

2 Likes

@Auburn

If they flower but dont produce let me know and we can get you a stick of Karl’s favorite for pollen.

1 Like

How long have you had them in the ground?

2 Likes

I grafted in the warren limbs about 3 years ago.

1 Like

@Auburn

When its at its best it can make others look second rate.

2 Likes

So Warren doesn’t need curing?

1 Like

@hambone

It doesn’t need chilling but it might be even better if it was. Was eating them off the tree! Keep in mind my current weather is perfect. Colder nights and hot days. That sugar is getting very high.

2 Likes

@Auburn How are you weighing the limbs down and do you do it all times of the year? I tried weighing down a branch but just ended up breaking it.

My Warren from Edible Landscaping was planted in 2016, but I only had two measly, not-so-tasty fruit last year and none this year.

1 Like

I prefer to bend a little at a time to prevent breaks and most of the time I bend while there is active growth. I mostly use heavy string/cord. I don’t weigh down.

2 Likes

@Amelanchier

Years ago , I made limb spreaders out of 1x3 baton boards , cut various lengths from 8” -1’ -16”-2’ so varied sizes , cutting a “V” shaped notch in each end , one end against trunk , other on branch to be pushed down and held there with the notch .
Spreader at ~45% angle . I painted them white so they would be easy to find if they fell out. Moved to a new branch / tree each year. These were used to spread limbs to~60% angle .
Promoting better tree structure and flower bud development.
Then I learned to make them from branches that had been cut off while pruning, leave a short fork branch on one end, cutting a “V” in the other with my pruners or saw , in the orchard while pruning .
These are really cheep to come by .

3 Likes

Glad you had such a good Warren crop this year. After the limb-breaking crop I had last year, my tree is taking a breather but still had a fair crop. Today, one of my good fruit-growing friends and I tasted 6 or 7 varieties. I saved the Warren until last - fantastic as usual! So much better than the others. Second place was Potomac but I have others that would have been really good if ripe. I want to do a taste of Warren or Magness against Comice if I can keep them in good shape until the Comice is ready to taste. Those three are definitely the best of the 80+ varieties that I’m fruiting this year.

4 Likes

@mayhaw9999

My small yellow pear was not the best this year. It was dissapointing which happens half the time. Its hard to grow and harvest right but when its on it can beat warren in flavor. This year it could not beat a walnut husk in flavor. Warren is the better choice for most people because its very easy to grow compartively. Potomac was also off in flavor this year which was a first time that happened. Jumbo was very good at @39thparallel place this year. His pears are maturing and he is getting some exceptional results. He had several hitting in that best range of pears. His brix readings are very high just like we get here. It’s something about Kansas weather we can grow some really incredible tasting fruit. It’s the difference between home grown tomatoes and regular in terms of taste. Harrow sweet is a good consistent pear thats extremely easy to grow and good quality. Harrow delight is very good for early season pears. Clapps favorite is hard to beat for early pears. Comice is the pear all others are judged by but its my belief Warren is better. Comice is very difficult to grow on my property its plagued with fireblight. Warren has never had any type of disease. Magness taste is less impressive overall but not far below Warren in my opinion. That could be location specific based on soil and it likely is just that. They are the same some years in every way. It’s my belief since warren produces less than most pears the fruit is naturally more nutrient dense. For years many have heard me talk about Clara frijs this year @mamuang got some cf and noted similar experience to what i have here it’s a very good consistent pear. It’s totally different than the types we discussed. After adjusting my taste buds to CF its very easy to see it deserves a spot amongst the best pears. As far as Asian pears go Drippin Honey was very high quality again this year. Seckle gives me mixed results it can be pretty good but its my opinion its not in the very best category but its very close. Ayers can be very good. One ayers tree this year was left alone to fully ripen to a bright yellow and completely lacked the off taste ayers can have. The problem most people have is it can have some astrigent off taste in the skin and an occasional peace of grit. At their location the ayers are not allowed to get to that ripe stage due to insect or animal pressure. Most of my trees were similar to everyone else seluts with ayers. The one ayers tree i had in the shade ripened later after the bugs were gone due to the extreme cold dip we had followed by heat. That ayers was allowed to fully ripen. Those are good pears when tree ripened. There is no astrigency whatsoever. They hang a very long time but diseases , insect, animal pressure are not the same everywhere. We know there are so many factors that go into raising choice fruit. You raise many very high quality pears in what i would consider a very good location for growing pears. Comice or Warren are both so good it will be difficult to determine a clear winner.

4 Likes

Warren continues to grow in fame 2022 Warren Pear Legacy (Petite) | Organic Fruit Club | 4 Shipments – Frog Hollow Farm and its price is becoming famous as well! Warren Pear Tree For Sale | NatureHills.com . Highly recommend adding this variety!