Is Jaboticaba my favorite...... it could be

There are some big trees i know in Portugal! I love them! :yum:

Talk about impulse buying or retail therapy, whatever you wanna call it, I went ahead and bought one today. I have huge empty terra-cotta pot. Itā€™ll be perfect for it.

Chriso, they donā€™t like hot sun, from 11am-3pm. They are more or less an understory tree. Good luck!

Beautiful tree! Jaboticaba and Green Sapote will be my next two purchases. Great thing about jaboticaba is it seems to grow well in a pot, which opens doors for folks who donā€™t live in zones 9b+. Well done to yā€™all who are growing these trees well!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice!! Now for the hard part: Waiting for it to fruit!!!

Tour de fruits no 3

4 Likes

Bob,
Thank you for the great guft.

@mrsg47 - I ate the pulp and spit out the seeds. The skin was thick so I did not eat the skin. Texture was soft. Taste was mildly sweet. Nothing like grapes except for the look.

I canā€™t compare it to any tropical fruit I have eaten (and I have eaten many kinds). I have found that chilled Jaboticaba tasted better than room temperature ones.

5 Likes

@Luisport

We donā€™t know what a pitanga taste like anymore than a jaboticaba unfortunately. We eat grapes. Pears, peaches, apple etc. is it close to any of those?

1 Like

@MaracujA

It is documented its native to the states of Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, GoiĆ”s and SĆ£o Paulo in Brazil is that accurate? In case Iā€™m traveling in Brazil some time I want to go some place I can try it.

1 Like

Hi! Pitanga flavor varies a lot on flavor and color fruit. There are the very very rare white pitangas, the rare orange biger ones, big and smaller red and big black pitangas.
The best flavor is the big black pitangas like a sweet cherry + blackberry + tropical fruits end. The worst ones more small and wild have a cherry + metalic and petrol flavorā€¦ very bad! :rofl:

1 Like

Does it taste at all like lychee which I love?

1 Like

No. I love lychee, too but not lychee in taste. Jaboticabaā€™s texture and taste remind me a bit of an obscure tropical fruit called Santol. But their look is totally different.

Santol is sweeter and a lot larger.

1 Like

Hey Chills. I have to warn you that finding jabuticaba may take some planning / work, as itā€™s not a big commercial crop. I am from SĆ£o Paulo. I grew up eating fruit off an old tree growing at a nearby church, almost never had it from stores. My best guess for where to find jabuticaba for sale in SĆ£o Paulo would be the Mercado Municipal (downtown). Itā€™s a great destination on its own, and your best bet for exotic fruit. Trees can produce all year tho peak season runs June to September. If youā€™re in Rio or elsewhere, ask around for the biggest feiras (markets). Good luck!

3 Likes

Jaboticaba/Jabuticaba is all the rage in Nor. Cal for the last few years to the point that almost all fruit enthusiasts have a tree now. From the coast to inland California, it can grow and fruit well. There is a fruiting tree in Emma Prusch which I guess was grown from seed. Grafted varieties like Sabara will fruit sooner. I am not growing it as I wasnā€™t wowed by the flavor of the fruit, but Iā€™ve only tasted it a couple of times.

1 Like

I am OK with the taste.

I wonder how many of those CA Jaboticaba growers grow the tree because of its uniqueness during flowering and when itā€™s full of fruit right on the trunk.
Having a Jaboticaba in your yard would be a show stopper.

Iā€™d love to grow one, too. I think I will get used to the taste and will like it.

2 Likes

In the center is Plinia cauliflora, and to the right P. edulis.

2 Likes

I had one, but lost it due to poor watering during winter (we were living away from the house due to a plumbing/insurance thing).

I got it to almost 4 feet in 3 years.

I just got another. Was disappointed that it was about 4 inches tall when it arrived. Currently it is almost 1.5 feet tall and growing quickly.

The new growth is a strange color. Its kind of a beige/pink. Iā€™m using Hollytone under 2 inches of pea gravel in a 2 gal pot. I wish these were a little more forgiving of fertilization. I have access to an organic, 100% natural fertilizer, but it is a commercial product and I donā€™t want to risk it.

Is the strangely discolored new growth a common feature of these?

Scott

2 Likes

Yes

2 Likes