Is my apple sprout going dormant or is something wrong with it?

Hi there!

I have been growing this apple sprout since maybe late spring/summer. As fall approached, it began to develop a large brown spot on one of the leaves. This leaf then turned yellow and red, and eventually fell off. This problem seems to be spreading to the other leaves.

Is this simply the tree going dormant? Or are these brown spots and red leaves a serious problem? I also don’t understand the translucent cells on the leaves. I’ve moved the sprout into my garage for the coming winter, but this problem predates that.

Thanks for your time!

(Other info: I live in Update New York. The seeds are from a store-bought apple that I then planted. The soil has been consistently wet/damp since I moved them into the garage; I worry this could also be a problem)

Oh my !
Looks like you have the worst …
Contagious disease possible …

“ Growing fruit “

And … worrying about them …

Not sure what’s up with your tree.
But not to worry too much,…
It’s late fall , it’s going dormant.
And looks like a good years growth from a store bought seed.!
Good job.
Keep the roots from freezing over winter.
And most importantly, what I mean to say is …
Welcome to the forum.!

2 Likes

I concur with @Hillbillyhort. That’s how my apple leaves look as they are going dormant. Then they should fall off. If they just turn brown and die without falling off, that might be a bad sign. Dormancy usually means abscission at the leave node, and then they fall with just a nudge or a breeze.

Nice job!