Is Texas Persimmon (Diospyros Texana) worth growing?

Here is a video on the fruit and a taste review. Texas Persimmon (Diospyros texana) - Weird Fruit Explorer Ep 229 - YouTube

I’d be interested in some scionwood from that large fruited female! I have a small one in my greenhouse I can graft onto. It has not fruited for me yet as I just got it in Feb.

Hello
looking for seeds of diospyros texana.Thank you for answer

I’ve come across Texas persimmon:
“Texas persimmon, Diospyros texana, is found in northern Mexico and Central and West Texas; it is especially abundant in the Edwards Plateau area. The tree has small, purple fruit and is known for its peeling bark, which reveals shades of white, gray, and even pink on the trunk. It is not graft compatible with American or Oriental persimmons”

Other friends have told me that it isn’t also compatible with D. lotus. How about D. blancoi or nigra?

Has anyone here grafted cultivars to D. texana and are successful?

1 Like

Found this video today…sounds good.

2 Likes

do not forget Diospyros californica (in baja (MX) california )

Thank you for the Link above
I always liked his blog, and was actually searching my history
(on computer to post it , but My PC doesn’t save history right so YOU saved me time.)

(see quote below off youtube)

to search google
I like looking up the word chapote as you find more interesting links that way (or zapotal)
or for older publications a synonym is Brayodendron texanum (Scheele) Small
(like for instance Mexican hawthorn texoxotl or tejocote gives completely better results )

Looks like Washington Botanical gardens has it growing
(pictures here on Randy Stewart blog with other persimmon species)
click f ctrl (click in texas)

A Member here Mr. Texas has something on his blog
(it states female/ male tree’s can be found on the Missouri city Texas edible arbor trail link broke) _

3711 Raoul Wallenberg Ln, Missouri City, TX 77459
https://www.missouricitytx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2250/Edible-Arbor-Trail-Brochure_merged?bidId=

(quote off You tube description (good to google some of these translations
(using quotations ie. “chapote manzano” )

These are berries from a Texas Persimmon Tree (Diospyros texana), one of many that I come across on my walks. The berries are fuzzy black 1/2 to 1" orbs containing a few inedible seeds with an extremely sweet black flesh. An easy fruit to identify and collect if in need of food in the wild.

Diospyros texana is a species of persimmon that is native to central and west Texas and southwest Oklahoma in the United States, and eastern Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, and Tamaulipas in northeastern Mexico. Common names include Texas Persimmon, Mexican Persimmon and the more ambiguous “black persimmon”. It is known in Spanish as Chapote, Chapote Manzano, or Chapote Prieto, all of which are derived from the Nahuatl word tzapotl. That word also refers to several other fruit-bearing trees.

D. texana is a multi-trunked small tree or large shrub with a lifespan of 30 to 50 years. It usually grows to 3 m (9.8 ft) in height, but can reach 12 m (39 ft) on good sites. The bark is smooth, light reddish gray, and peels away from mature trees to reveal shades of pink, white, and gray on the trunk

Far south Wholesale nursery has some chapote
https://farsouthnursery.com/index.php/available

Matt. as far as D. nigra or chocolate persimmon I bought some recently at Mexican shop
mostly for the seeds not much flavor
but your suppose to add whipped cream and put in smoothies (by themselves I read)
that was used b/c it was before Christmas whipping cream was used for deserts (pretzel salad)
Okay with sugar on top , but didn’t get to experiment with the cool whip.

I do also like woods roamer look at that bow (with the brown wood)
Woods Roamer: Search results for diospyros

1 Like

This first-year seedling didn’t blink at our winter low of 16°F at the end of a 6-day freeze, even though it was in a #3 pot outside all winter. I know @anon47724557 had expressed interest in knowing how these could handle a cold, wet winter here in Seattle. Well this was both unusually cold and unusually wet, so I think it’ll do ok here. We shall see later about fruit. I have more seeds cold stratifying that haven’t popped yet.

I just planted it in the ground after it passed the winter survival test:

2 Likes

I didn’t have patience to read the whole post, but that bow is beautiful.

Despite our near record cold and wet spring, this seedling continues to leaf out:

Some of the leaves look a little curled, so it’s possible that’s a sign of some fungus, but the newest leaves don’t seem affected.

1 Like

I wonder if it could be Pseudomonas bacteria, which apparently cause blossom blast in pears, and bacterial canker in stone fruit.

1 Like

Whatever the cause was, it appears to have pushed through it on its own, the newest leaves seem fine:

It’s possible those buds did get freeze damage after they started expanding, so that could’ve been it, too.

1 Like

I‘m interested in the Diospyros Texana too.
I found a blog where an Italian guy grafted it onto a Diospyros virginiana but failed on D. Lotus.

http://viaggiatore971.blogspot.com/2017/12/diospyros-species.html?m=1

He told me that is very slow growing and didn’t fruit yet

1 Like

FYI, the tree shown above was mislabeled and was not really texana, as discussed in this other thread:

I do have a bunch of seeds starting this winter in the greenhouse, and more that are stored for trying in the spring if the first batch of seedlings succumb to cold or dampness.

Yeah I was wondering about that, it has light wood and yours looked just like Virginiana

1 Like

I am really interested in growing them, and you would think that you could find them at the nurseries here in Texas, but no dice. I got some seeds off of Etsy, but they never germinated. Surprise surprise.

I need a source for a few Texas persimmon seedlings and a few rusty Blackhaw viburnum seedlings. They are both edible natives. While I’ve never had the pleasure of sampling the Texas persimmon, the rusty Blackhaw viburnum makes a small interesting drupe.

When I first was trying to find them myself, there was one Texas nursery that had small seedling plugs for a reasonable price, but would only deliver in-state. I’m having trouble finding it again. I do see this one, you’d have to put in your zip code on the top to see if they’d deliver to you (they are in Ft. Worth):

$50 for a 5 gal tree isn’t exactly cheap though.

Try https://womacknursery.com/ if they don’t have Texana I’d bet they can yell you who does. D

Thank you for the find. That’s especially crazy because I’m not very far from Fort Worth. I traveled to Colorado bend state park recently and picked up a bunch of seeds there. The Texas persimmons were ripe and it was my first time trying them. They have a ton of seed to them, but they were very flavorful. I would say that they taste like plum with a slight molasses flavor. If someone wants some fresh seed, and would be willing to pay shipping, then I would be happy to oblige.

I traveled to Colorado bend state park recently and picked up a bunch of seeds there. The Texas persimmons were ripe and it was my first time trying them. They have a ton of seed to them, but they were very flavorful. I would say that they taste like plum with a slight molasses flavor. If someone wants some fresh seed, and would be willing to pay shipping, then I would be happy to oblige.

2 Likes

I find it’s kind of ironic the interest in this plant. I work at a extension office, and we routinely get calls on how to eliminate them…
I think it’s a shame because they are a beautiful small tree. I love the bark especially. But some of the residents abhor the sight of brush in their pasture and this plant isn’t as choice an eating selection to deer or livestock as other native plants.
But we also get requests on how to kill algerita which is another native fruit producing plant. No one has asked how to kill our wild plum yet, that I know about.

3 Likes