Is there a portable vacuum recommended to pick up fallen fruit

Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone is using a portable vacuum to pick up fallen fruits. In my case, plums that have dropped from trees. I normally rake them up and dispose of them but I wonder if there is a better way. I appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Makita 80V max (40V max X2) XGT 10 Gal. HEPA Vacuum Wet and Dry w/AWS, (4.0Ah) GCV07PMU - The Home Depot

thanks for the info but that is way more than I am willing to spend. I do appreciate you responding.

1 Like

If the dropped fruit are not because of Plum Cuculio try making them into Umeshu. 50% plum %50 Rock sugar and the rest vodka

1 Like

I was really leaning towards the Idaho pasture pig variety of portable vacuum, But I’ve decided the Hampshire or possibly the Yorkshire variety would be better due to better aftermarket values.

6 Likes

How about a mechanical nut roller / nut & fruit gatherer or whatever they are called?

1 Like

Thanks Can you tell me the brand that you are looking at.

@Browndrake is talking about running pigs through the orchard to clean up drops.

3 Likes

Ok. Thanks, :smiley:

Just following up if anyone is interested. I ended up getting this 16 Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum with Cart (harborfreight.com). I needed a wet\dry vac anyway. Just a couple of things. It did pick up the small unripe plums that were on the ground. I just used the hose with no attachments I did not use a bag inside the unit. It would help if the hose was longer, If you pick up the plums too quickly you can cog the hose.

I think fruit sweeper collectors, like sidewalk cleaners are more so the thing that i have seen people using, like mentioned above some are made for nut collection, some for apples afaik.

Ive seen one hand powered model somewhere also.

1 Like

Thanks. I will look for one.

Were I to go that route, my portable fruit vacuums would be called geese (Pilgrim, Shetland or Oregon Mini by Dave Holderread would be first considered).

Years ago I had Welsh Harlequin ducks - sweetest birds imaginable - and was surprised to find people feared them, thinking they were geese. Real geese would be the finest watch dogs & clean up fallen fruit.

2 Likes

Geese are actually on the short list. The pigs may spend some time there, but I do have some concerns about them rooting up drip lines.

1 Like