Is there a wicking system for potted plants to not have to water as often?

Long background story I won’t go into, but I’m interested in keeping some potted plants somewhere where daily watering won’t be practical. I’m hoping to be able to water just once per week. The location is next to a branch where I can dip water out of the branch, but there’s no electricity or regular plumbing there. Is there any practical way to keep potted plants there? The plants are in approximately 1 gallon pots. I could repot them to slightly larger pots if that would be helpful. I’m imagining some kind of wicking system that would allow the potting soil to wick water from a full 5 gallon bucket of water. I wouldn’t know how to make it happen if it even is possible, though. I don’t think I want to buy anything special, but I’m hoping I can rig something up with things I already have. I’ve also thought about a bucket with a slow drip, but I figure even a slow drip would drain a 5 gallon bucket in 24 hours. Any ideas? Pointers?

1 Like

Look up this utube vid. Later in the vid (at around 5 minutes)is an example of a simple mechanical float valve.

Should work for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5iVBMBxvMsA

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks, MES! I hadn’t thought about it until I watched the video, but I might could float my plants in some kind of pool (maybe even just a bucket) kind of like tobacco growers do with styrofoam flats. Helpful video, but what an accent!

1 Like

Floating is an interesting concept. Les Kerr, the man who developed the Kerr apple, among other plants, had a cabin at a lake not far from us. Because of space constrictions and too much shade he used to grow his rhubarb floating on the lake in front of his cabin and tied to the dock. He had them in tires. I am not sure of the exact set up as this was years ago and a story told by my mother in law who knew him well.

2 Likes

I want to try something like that in my farm tank. I just want to see if I can do it.

2 Likes

If your reservoir can hold enough water to keep until you get a chance to re-fill then the float switch is not needed.

But his is an interesting solution anyway :slight_smile:

Mike

2 Likes

@northof53

The potting soil itself acts as the wick. Just like in an “Earth Box” system, just easier to keep a whole bunch of pots watered this way.

Depending on how many pots you have you can use shallow “kiddie pools” ( as shown at 43 seconds of the vid) , or air conditioner drip pans etc.

Mike

2 Likes

I cut up the middle of a diaper and add that to the pot, that holds water and I don’t have to water as often.

2 Likes