Is there any successor to Oikos?

Since Oikos has closed, does anyone know any successors? I’m too late getting interested in nut growing, having trouble finding sources for things they grew.

Somewhat related, the podcast Partisan Gardens just released an interview with Ken Asmus of Oikos. Mostly about Oaks.

4 Likes

none that i know. check out great plains nursery or z nutty ridge nursery. both sell top tier hybrid hazels. i just put in 2 ecos hazels from oikios this spring. probably the last of his stock before he closed. your in a warm enough zone you could get away with growing a mostly european hybrid with just enough American hazel in it to give resistance to EFB.

3 Likes

When did that happen?

Last winter, I believe.

1 Like

Oh, weird. I could have sworn they were still taking orders this spring. That’s a bummer.

Site is up for information, still.

I wanted to try a bunch of stuff…nuts, Jerusalem artichoke, groundnuts…etc. I know cultivariable has some stuff.

3 Likes

That could be the source of my confusion. It sounds like most of the items will still be available as bulk seed lots, just no more plants or packets:

5 Likes

Hadn’t seen that… interesting!

1 Like

they did as i got 2 hazels from them in may. must have shut just after that.

1 Like

i have their jerusaelm artichokes and kennebec groundnuts. want a few?

2 Likes

ampersand,
Kinda depends on what you’re looking for. There is a loose network of nut(pecan/hickory/walnut/chestnut/hazel, etc.) and oak enthusiasts out here who may be able & willing to provide seednuts, acorns, etc., &/or scionwood - some of whom are members on this board. Most of us also dabble with ‘minor fruits’ like persimmon, pawpaw, serviceberry, etc., in addition to ‘conventional’ fruits like apples, pears, stonefruit.
I had a visit just last week from some late 20-something guys from VT who came to gather nuts/acorns from my plantings… for their upstart nursery producing superior-parentage seedlings for reforestation/afforestation/silvopasture projects in the Northeast. They went home with several hundred pounds of shellbark hickory nuts and low-tannin acorns.

Feel free to post a ‘wish list’ here, or PM me… I may be able to direct you to sources.

3 Likes

Hi Lucky, Several years ago you sent me a massive acorn, I believe Q. macrocarpa, which is now around 10’. I’ll send you a message when I have my thoughts in order!

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’m so disappointed! :frowning: I don’t know how I didn’t know about that nursery. So much eye candy on that site…

2 Likes

If you’re interested in oaks, the best place to get them is nativnurseries.com. There are several online nurseries that offer nut seeds and seedings - burnt ridge, perfect circle farm, twisted tree farm, and others. Morse nursery is also good for oaks and some other nut trees.

1 Like

https://oikostreecrops.com/products/?route=product/category&path=107_113

Available for order now… Is there such a thing as black knot immune? The plum would be interesting for that trait. Maybe just highly resistant?

These seed prices are not cheap though.

1 Like

Oof. Glad I bought my beach plum seeds when I did.

I think he’s trying to put his efforts to people doing large scale planting and development. Probably getting up there in years?